I don't like new games

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

I don't like new games

Post by Specially Cork »

Sorry, bit of a rant and a whine here. Just wondering what other people think really.

I've been reaching some strange conclusions recently. Two examples from many; GTA4 is superior to GTA3 in every measurable way, but I still prefer playing GTA3. Bioshock is extremely impressive, but I think GoldenEye is the best FPS out there. It feels depressing to admit, but I'm slowly becoming stuck in the videogaming past. My PS3 hardly gets touched despite me owning several great games. I can often see why the critics like them, and I can see what makes them good, but they just don't seem that fun to me.

There are exceptions of course (LittleBigPlanet, Mario Galaxy...) but these still all hark back to an era I'm probably going to end up calling "the golden age of gaming" and discuss with "Back in my day...". All these new games that try to be cool and realistic just seem to lack charm to me, and I really don't enjoy it. I want bright colours, simple gameplay, basic characters and split-screen multiplayer to make a comeback. It's frustrating because it feels like a hobby that has been a part of my life for almost 2 decades is slowly evaporating. I can see a future where there are just no new games for me because the stuff that sells isn't the stuff I want to buy.

I don't want to be stuck replaying old games for the rest of my life, but honestly, unless something amazing happens to the games libraries of the current 3 consoles over the next couple of years I don't think any one of them will justify the price I bought them for. And if that happens, I'd have to really think about ever buying a new console again.
Last edited by Specially Cork on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I don't like new games

Post by Lartrak »

Two examplse from many; GTA4 is superior to GTA3 in every measurable way
Except for charm, humor, and fun factor. In particular, I find the far more realistic driving physics a whole lot less fun. I also prefer the more cartoony visual style and less dark storylines of the older games (mostly Vice City to me).

I'm pretty much with you on this. There are exceptions for me (maybe more than you? I'm not sure), but I really do have trouble finding newer games that I enjoy that much. I feel like a lot of newer console games are... I dunno, too slick? Too serious? It's hard to put my finger on it. I had the same problem in the PS2/Cube/XB generation, but it seems worse to me now.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Too slick and serious sounds about right. Developers have really upped their game this generation and they are creating some fantastic "interactive experiences". This isn't a completely bad thing and I enjoy it sometimes, but there seems to be a lot less lighthearted fun games now as a resultl.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I find the same thing myself in a lot of cases. Being someone that hardly plays anything except RPGs now, I find myself shying away from those that are more realistic. Perhaps that's why I never could bring myself to play through Final Fantasy 8, and why I don't see Final Fantasy 7 as the legendary RPG that many people do. Sure Final Fantasy 7 was fun, but I enjoyed Final Fantasy 9 a lot more because it went back to the series' more fantasy-oriented roots.

I find that I enjoy 2D RPGs with lighthearted storylines and/or a somewhat large degree of "unbelievableness" to their story much more than I enjoy the more realistic games that seem to be becoming more and more prevalent. I play a game to escape from reality, not to put myself in a slightly different reality, if that makes any sense whatsoever.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

BlueCrab wrote:Perhaps that's why I never could bring myself to play through Final Fantasy 8
I liked Final Fantasy VIII (junction ultima to strength and full-life to HP, bosses are a breeze). :P
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

The only new game I have played recently is mario kart wii. I'm playing disgaea 2 right now and something NIS does will is everything you want boney and probally most people. I will probally play galaxy next (it is between galaxy and MGS2), but as I look around many new games do not intrest me. I'm going through and playing all the ps2/gamecube gems I missed right now, actually. I'm actually buying a psp today aswell just because of the nice NIS selection on it.

I really do miss those fun bright coloured platformers (preferably sidescrollers) they seem like a thing of the past. I must admit though muramasa on the wii might make you happy it really shocked me and if you've never played klonoa get the remake that is out on the wii.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

It's called nostalgia. Nostalgia for a time when you were still a child and new games were filling every pore of your imagination. You're an adult now. Case closed.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:It's called nostalgia. Nostalgia for a time when you were still a child and new games were filling every pore of your imagination. You're an adult now. Case closed.
That is probably the biggest part of it, but I feel that most of the games that come out these days dont have very much effort put into them. Developors know that people will buy the annual sequel to their fps franchie no matter what so why even try making it very much better, new multiplayer maps is apparently all that matters. But then again I hate everything that comes out these days.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:It's called nostalgia. Nostalgia for a time when you were still a child and new games were filling every pore of your imagination. You're an adult now. Case closed.
Nostalagia is certainly a part of it, but I don't think child vs adult is the reason. I'm not enjoying games less because I've grown up. Im enjoying games less because the things that made me enjoy games in the first place are slowly ceasing to exist, especially with the big full releases. Gaming has moved on...I've not.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

It's called nostalgia. Nostalgia for a time when you were still a child and new games were filling every pore of your imagination. You're an adult now. Case closed.
I can't speak for Boney, but in the case of the PS2 and Xbox generation, I already was an adult when it came out, so...

Another thing that is interesting is that I don't have the same problem with PC games. Like, somehow, I enjoyed Fallout 3 (though not as much as the first 2) on PC, but I suspect I wouldn't like it at all on consoles. Think I want different things on each, and it feels like console games are becoming more PCish.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Since I skipped the past generation (as much as I love Dreamcast, it wasn't a part of it), I decided it was time to buy a PS2. So I went on and got the console that brought a crapload of GTA clones amongst other things I don't really care for.
Yet I have to say, games like Ico make that whole generation worthwhile. I prefer it over any other game I've played before, acknowledging that the whole experience wouldn't have been the same with previous technology.

Given that, I can't just plain say I hate "new games". I don't think games have "moved on", it's just that current technologies are pushing realism and gimmicky games. But that could also open more possibilities for developers to bring something else to the table, knowing that, like with every other genre or game type that had its prime, people gets bored of playing the same things over and over.

So quickly checking what's coming on PS3, there's a Team Ico project - The Last Guardian. I'd look forward to that, but right now I'm too busy catching up on the past gen. With so many games out there, I'm sure I'll find more good ones.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Why don't we bump the same topic someone started a year ago? Or the one from year before that?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

pixel wrote:Why don't we bump the same topic someone started a year ago? Or the one from year before that?
Heh, yeah, I remember those.

The Last Guardian looks amazing. Is this now a Last Guardian thread?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

pixel wrote:Why don't we bump the same topic someone started a year ago? Or the one from year before that?
Yeah. This place is clearly lively enough already, the last thing we need is somebody posting an opinion similar to one we've read before .Apologies if this thread got in the way of all the other great content that's been recently posted.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Pixel is right these servers can't take this kind of traffic.
DYTDMFBSB?
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

It's pretty shameful but Card Shark lite on the iPhone gets more gameplay than all of my consoles combined lately, it's not particularly awesome but it kills train journeys like nothing else and isn't fiddly to play like a DS. Fuck. I'm old.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I've got a 360, with 18 legit games, and close to 50 burned ones. I think I've only seriously played 3 of them.

Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4, and Rock Band 2.

I don't care much for gaming anymore. Every time I pick up the controller I've got an overwhelming sense that I'm just wasting time, and I've got better things I cold be doing.

Edit: Correction, 4. I beat Fallout 3, and bought Broken Steel. I plan to play that some more......at some point.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

only games that I really get into any more are bullet hell shumps (it has been a while though) and trpgs and arpgs I can't stand normal turnbased rpgs anymore and never liked the massive world western rpgs.
DYTDMFBSB?
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

All I really play these days are your typical fighting games (Street Fighter X, Marvel vs. X, etc.) and the occasional Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst or Halo: CE.

I currently don't have the time to play my consoles. :(

Also, I must say that I agree with Boney on GTA. While GTA 4 had some nice features and was a offered a much better graphical experience, it just isn't as fun as Vice City. Even driving in the game is a bit too technical. :/
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

I bought about seven decent Xbox 360 games for $10 each when they were having a sale about 4 months ago. To this day I've only opened two of them.

I've lost almost all desire to try and start a new game unless I am a huge fan of it like say, Call of Duty. I just don't feel like learning more stuff a new game is going to throw at me because frankly I don't think I'm going to enjoy it. I'm getting the feeling I'm going to just see it as a sub-par game and play it maybe once. Even really good games I've played a lot in the past but never got around to beating I'm becoming less interested in playing like Bioshock (Which I'm about 3/4 through). I really wish I was more interested, but I can't see it changing anytime soon.

Not to mention, playing 360 games has gotten me sick of even wanting to play a game on PC oppose to my 360 due to me telling myself, "Why would I play it on PC if I can get achievements for it on my 360?". Achievements have truly hurt PC gaming in my life.