Nintendo Blocks Homebrew Channel

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nintendo Blocks Homebrew Channel

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Nintendo released a new Wii firmware update tonight.

It removes the Homebrew Channel, even if it's already installed on your system.

Now my Wii is even less useful than before.

:evil:
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Nintendo Blocks Homebrew Channel

Post by Luriden »

So... you have a modded Wii and you still update your firmware without checking online for the list of changes? NEVER update your Wii without seeing what Nintendo did with the update. Instead, you to wait for the modding scene to come up with a "clean" update without the anti-modding bullshit, which usually only takes a day or two.

They've been blocking various hacks for several updates now. This is nothing new. This is just the biggest step they've taken, the ones in the past just blocked the actual modding utilities.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

If by "modded" you mean "the Homebrew Channel is installed." That's the only "unorthodox" thing I've done to my Wii.

Installed it two years ago, and it's weathered all the updates before this one. Most of the updates have blocked ways to *install* the Homebrew Channel, but if you already have it there hasn't been a problem so far.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'm sure there will be a way to get HBC back up and running for you though. There's always another way, it just may take some time.

I recommend checking the GBAtemp.net forums often. The latest info is always posted there and there's a thread going on about it now.

And in the future, don't ever update your Wii without checking to see what it updates. There's really no reason to update past 4.0 anyway since 4.0 gives you the latest features you need, and you can block game update checks with a tool like Preloader (and if you don't have Preloader yet, I recommend you install it when HBC is back up and running. It's the most useful tool/safety net ever.) Hell, there's people on GBAtemp.net that still use 3.x firmware and block all the update checks. I still recommend 4.0 for the SD channels though.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

There are already two new exploits, although they require specific games (Lego Indiana Jones or SSBB).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I wouldn't ever recommend trusting gbatemp for ANYTHING. If you want the latest trusted knowledge from people who know what they're talking about, check wiibrew and hackmii. That said, this update does seem to block/delete anything that was installed with a fake signature, and updates boot2 to prevent installing fakesigned IOSes. Also, this update installs stub IOSes in many of the slots that pirates seem to use for cIOS. As with other updates, the homebrew community comes under fire because of the actions of the pirates (since the hbc is the vector for pirates installing crap on their Wii).

gbatemp is just a bunch of warez monkeys who generally spread information that is usually just an overreaction or that ends up being false. If you're truly using your Wii for homebrew, gbatemp is the wrong place to go.

Now, if you're being an ass and pirating stuff, go ahead, believe gbatemp all you want. Install all of waninkoko's shit to your Wii and brick it. Heck, install System Menu 4.2 right away! It won't hurt piracy one bit! :twisted:
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

This is why it's worth installing bootmii. Just saying.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

not just souLLy now wrote:This is why it's worth installing bootmii. Just saying.
The thing is, this update overwrites boot2 (which means it overwrites bootmii if you've installed it in that way). It doesn't overwrite the IOS version of bootmii, however.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

BlueCrab wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:This is why it's worth installing bootmii. Just saying.
The thing is, this update overwrites boot2 (which means it overwrites bootmii if you've installed it in that way). It doesn't overwrite the IOS version of bootmii, however.
Wow, hadn't been following the update, that's pretty major.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

not just souLLy now wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Wow, hadn't been following the update, that's pretty major.
It looks like that was done specifically to prevent the spread of fakesigned content (since boot2 still had the signature bug on older consoles and could be used to install stuff, essentially (I think)).
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

System Menu 4.2, eh? Looks like I won't be upgrading for a while, then.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.2

I thought, if you were running a modded system, you were supposed to upgrade with something like Pimp My Wii or any of the other apps that check your IOSs and channels for the most recent version. At the very least, when you use that, they know not to include updates that may harm your homebrew experience.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BlueCrab wrote:I wouldn't ever recommend trusting gbatemp for ANYTHING. If you want the latest trusted knowledge from people who know what they're talking about, check wiibrew and hackmii. That said, this update does seem to block/delete anything that was installed with a fake signature, and updates boot2 to prevent installing fakesigned IOSes. Also, this update installs stub IOSes in many of the slots that pirates seem to use for cIOS. As with other updates, the homebrew community comes under fire because of the actions of the pirates (since the hbc is the vector for pirates installing crap on their Wii).

gbatemp is just a bunch of warez monkeys who generally spread information that is usually just an overreaction or that ends up being false. If you're truly using your Wii for homebrew, gbatemp is the wrong place to go.

Now, if you're being an ass and pirating stuff, go ahead, believe gbatemp all you want. Install all of waninkoko's shit to your Wii and brick it. Heck, install System Menu 4.2 right away! It won't hurt piracy one bit! :twisted:
Wiibrew has pretty much consistently been my resource for Wii homebrew news... but I've never stressed much about system updates before, because the only change I've made to my Wii is to install the Homebrew Channel, and it's always been fine before. I'd rather not install any hardware or firmware mods, to be honest. The main thing I used it for was trying out different games via the Homebrew Browser... particularly Super Mario War and Quake.

I just wanted to post the news so that nobody else made the same mistake.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I was wondering when this would happen. I knew it was only a matter of time before Nintendo finally killed off the HBC.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Ah well, I don't run updates. Never saw the point.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Zealous zerotype wrote:Ah well, I don't run updates. Never saw the point.
Well, gaining proper SD card support with v4.0 was a pretty nice added feature.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Its easy for homebrew user's, there no game out that require 4.2 , so theres no need to upgrade, all those guys at gbatemp are getting crazy because the want the wii at 4.2.....

Rigth now i stick on 4.0, all my homebrew runs ok , didnt see nothing new at 4.1......

in a few days someone will find a way ti install hbc in 4.2......

same thing happen when 4.0 was out.........
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I was checking WiiBrew today, and noticed some big news – A N64 Emulator:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii64
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Hackmii installer v0.5 released

also http://hackmii.com/2009/09/silly_games/

As you all know, Nintendo pushed a huge update yesterday. Turns out it’s a rather lame attempt to block, among other things, our installer. They also remove The Homebrew Channel and DVDX on every system menu startup, but for that they just hardcoded the used title IDs. So let’s play this silly game: let’s switch title IDs!

Beware: Everything installable with this installer works with every system menu version, you do not have to update to v4.2! We even advise you not to update! On the last article bushing wrote:

The [boot 2 update] code [from Ninty] is so buggy that we decided to write our own for the HackMii installer.

It’s really sad, but that wasn’t exaggerated at all. The first reports about bricks due to this official boot2 update are reported on Nintendo’s forums. Replies, which Ninty doesn’t like, are getting deleted. Anyway, it’s up to you if you want to risk it.

If you already updated to v4.2, this version is the only one that works. If you don’t have HBC installed, use e.g. Indiana Pwns to launch this installer.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Well, I guess saying I don't run updates was slightly misleading since when I got my wii I exploited it up to 4.0 (its probally been a month or less since I've had it now).
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast