Next Sonic Game to Be 2D HD

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Next Sonic Game to Be 2D HD

Post by Specially Cork »

I predict another Excitebike with platforming elements.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by BlackAura »

Hmm... On the blog post they made on the first day, they said:
Some Sega marketing guy whose name I can't be bothered to look up wrote:Remember: It’s all about momentum. This statement holds as true with this challenge as it did in the Sonic games that many of us grew up playing
I said something similar a few months ago:
I (somewhat paraphrased) wrote:The first (and, in my opinion, most important) was it had a real sense of momentum.
Wow... that quote is incomprehensible out of context...

Is it possible that they've actually got some people working on this game who understand what the original Sonic games were about? What happened? Did they fire the whole of Sonic Team or something?

Then again... It's possible that, out of reverence of the original, they don't actually do anything new with this thing. It's sounding more and more like a remake of Sonic 1, with updated graphics.
Hasney wrote:Mr. Needlemouse we hardly knew ye :(
Never mind, he's still around somewhere.
Last edited by BlackAura on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to Mr. Needlemouse
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BlackAura wrote:Hmm... On the blog post they made on the first day, they said:
Some Sega marketing guy whose name I can't be bothered to look up wrote:Remember: It’s all about momentum. This statement holds as true with this challenge as it did in the Sonic games that many of us grew up playing
I said something similar a few months ago:
I (somewhat paraphrased) wrote:The first (and, in my opinion, most important) was it had a real sense of momentum.
Wow... that quote is incomprehensible out of context...

Is it possible that they've actually got some people working on this game who understand what the original Sonic games were about? What happened? Did they fire the whole of Sonic Team or something?
They've obviously been reading these forums. It would be great to find out that some major studios or projects were designed with a large amount of data-mining from fan-sites (the only times I've ever seen such a thing are typically with single narrow questions/contests 'design so and so's costume').
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Post by Christuserloeser »

I hope not. A game is a form of art, and fan service leads to what we've been "blessed" with these past decades, with only the first two games (and their SMS = GG counterparts) actually being perfect, and everything that followed little more than "fan service" (from Spinball to splitting Sonic 3 into Sonic 3 & Knuckles before finisihing it, from Sonic 3D Blast: Flicky's Island to a talking Sonic in Sonic Adventure and its follow ups and updates).
Insane homebrew collector.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

A game is a form of art, but I think with the sheer number of player-years out there these days there are times (particularly when a team takes on a franchise or genre with which they're not really familiar) when some players actually understand the art better than the developers. The majority of fan requests/criticisms may be silly, but there are exceptions. There's a big difference between "it would be so cool if <x>" and "they completely missed the point; this is <x> in name only".
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I don't like Side Scrolling Sonic, I love 3D and my favourite Sonic game is Adventure 2.

As of late Sonic feels like he is regressing than evolving...

Now I am going to duck and take cover before some one shoots me.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I'm not gonna shoot you but besides Sonic and Shadown levels, SA2 sucked balls. SA1 was good, but too much bullshit went with it to make it any better than what came before it.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Sonic Adventure 2 was absolutely awful. A couple of the Sonic levels were decent, but they were surrounded by another 90% of garbage.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I always thought Sonic Adventure 2 was much better, but yea thinking back like 80% of that game was bullshit. The Sonic and Shadow levels were good most of the way (Im thinking towards the end they start getting worse), everything else was awful. I should never spend half an hour searching for a fucking item ever, but did it quite a few times.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

ding....ding.....ding..ding..ding..ding.ding.ding.dingdingdingdingding
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Why the Hell was Tails in a robotic suit in that game anyway?

Anyway, I'm still hoping that this game is good.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BoneyCork wrote:ding....ding.....ding..ding..ding..ding.ding.ding.dingdingdingdingding
Never seen it put that way (if, it's the ring sound). Awesome.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Quzar wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:ding....ding.....ding..ding..ding..ding.ding.ding.dingdingdingdingding
I was going for Knuckle's annoying Chaos emerald radar thing in SA2. It's been years since I've played it though so I'm probably way off. I just remember it drove me insane.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

BoneyCork wrote:
Quzar wrote:
I was going for Knuckle's annoying Chaos emerald radar thing in SA2. It's been years since I've played it though so I'm probably way off. I just remember it drove me insane.
When I read it, I pictured Knuckles. Fuck that was annoying :(

not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Sonic Adventure 1 was awesome in parts, on the actual racing sonic levels I had a blast, the first level with the killer whale chasing you definitely stands out in my mind as proof 3D sonic could work, it's just a shame the game was diluted with the other character's sections which stretched the game out but added nothing.

Sonic Adventure 2 was almost exclusively the shit bits from SA1, horrible and yes the knuckles/purple bat thing levels were a big part of the problem.

I think a 2.5D sonic would be the best chance Sega have of turning the franchise around but after so many stinkers I'd need to see some spectacular reviews before I'd pick up another sonic title.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

There seems to be great overestamation of Sonic Adventure 2 Treasure Hunting Segments.... (15 minutes later)
Hero:
Stage 01: City Escape - Sonic
Stage 02: Wild Canyon - 1Knuckles
Stage 03: Prison Lane - Tails
Stage 04: Metal Harbor - Sonic
Stage 05: Green Forest - Sonic
Stage 06: Pumpkin Hill - 2Knuckles

Stage 07: Mission Street - Tails
Stage 08: Aquatic Mine - 3Knuckles

Stage 09: Route 101 - Tails
Stage 10: Hidden Base - Tails
Stage 11: Pyramid Cave - Sonic
Stage 12: Death Chamber - 4Knuckles

Stage 13: Eternal Engine - Tails
Stage 14: Meteor Herd - 5Knuckles

Stage 15: Crazy Gadget - Sonic
Stage 16: Final Rush - Sonic

Dark:
Stage 01: Iron Gate - Robotnik
Stage 02: Dry Lagoon - 6Rouge

Stage 03: Sand Ocean - Robotnik
Stage 04: Radical Highway - Shadow
Stage 05: Egg Quarters - 7Rouge
Stage 06: Lost Colony - Robotnik
Stage 07: Weapons Bed - Robotnik
Stage 08: Security Hall -8 Rouge
Stage 09: White Jungle - Shadow
Stage 10: Route 280 - 9Rouge
Stage 11: Sky Rail - Shadow
Stage 12: Mad Space - 10Rouge
Stage 13: Cosmic Wall - Robotnik
Stage 14: Final Chase - Shadow
Given that the core game has 10/30 Treasure hunting Segments, you are all way off on it being 90% crap.

While I am not going to go all stupid and say that the Treasure hunting segments were great, but I can say that they were average and made the Sonic/Shadow levels are the more loveable cause you had to earn them by Treasure Hunting.

Although you guys can go ahead and call me an idiot for loving Tails/Robotnik segments, I even played them on multiplayer SPLIT SCREEN.

I also prefer Sonic SA2 stages than Sonic SA1.

I think I like Sonic Adventure 2 more than 1 because I played them both at the same time, and I could see an obvious difference where as most of you had Sonic Adventure 1 the day you bought Dreamcast?
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

In terms of levels you're right, but in terms of how long you spent playing those levels... I seem to remember having 1 minute bouts of fun followed by half an hour of crystal hunting.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Given that the core game has 10/30 Treasure hunting Segments, you are all way off on it being 90% crap.
Crappy cut scenes, music, voice acting, plot, extra characters and camera also did their part to ruin the experience. Even if I accept that things weren't all that bad, I look at all the other 3D platformers out there and the Sonic ones still rank much lower than they should considering the legacy and all that other bollocks you tend to hold so dearly. It isn't just the new stuff they added that I dislike, it's the way they kept changing the old stuff too. Sonic's evolution from loveable mascot into Generation Y cliche was especially depressing. Rock music? Love triangles? Grinding? Really? Mario never needed that shit.
While I am not going to go all stupid and say that the Treasure hunting segments were great, but I can say that they were average and made the Sonic/Shadow levels are the more loveable cause you had to earn them by Treasure Hunting.
Or you could just ditch the treasure hunting and have 10 more fun levels. I can't believe you'd try to justify crappy game content with this argument.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Yeah if they didn't have the shit levels to start with and just had good levels, it'd be an awesome game. There wasn't much replayablity for me in either because of the shit levels :(

mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I think its about time Sega starts with spinoff games for all of the minor characters. I just now realized they tried that with Shadow. Still I think that an Amy or the big purple cat thing would make for great spinoff games.