Next Sonic Game to Be 2D HD

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Next Sonic Game to Be 2D HD

Post by mrandyk »

jhonsadins wrote:Hello There..
I know I am in the minority but 2D sonic games feel outdated to me, 3D is much better just because Sonic Team can't get post Dreamcast Sonic games up to the mark doesn't make 2D better.
Tell me was your first system an xbox by any chance?
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I agree with the new guy, Side scrolling for Sonic does feel extremly outdated just because Sonic Team can get them to functional levels doesn't make it a better concept than 3D.

As a major criteria for Sonic is to provide a roller coaster experience it is best viewed in the 3D style:

Let me put it this way do you enjoy watching a roller coaster from the side or do you enjoy being in one, cause the side scroller experience is like watching a roller coaster from the side where as 3D is being in Sonic.

Also the first console in my house was a Nes and the first one I got was a Mega Drive.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

As a major criteria for Sonic is to provide a roller coaster experience it is best viewed in the 3D style:

Let me put it this way do you enjoy watching a roller coaster from the side or do you enjoy being in one, cause the side scroller experience is like watching a roller coaster from the side where as 3D is being in Sonic.
A major criteria? Any Sonic game that has ever tried to be anything like a rollercoaster has sucked. I don't play Sonic to get a blindingly fast on-rails race to the finish. I play Sonic to get a skill-based platformer with more pace than Mario.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BoneyCork wrote:Any Sonic game that has ever tried to be anything like a rollercoaster has sucked. I don't play Sonic to get a blindingly fast on-rails race to the finish. I play Sonic to get a skill-based platformer with more pace than Mario.
This. There's no point to a Sonic game that's just a "hold forward" affair; you might as well get a roller coaster video. Sonic games are best when the level allows you to open up and run a bit, mixed with sections of having to dodge enemies/obstacles, multiple possible paths through the level, and having areas you need to explore to find the way forward. I know that may seem like I'm saying "ice cream is best when it's cold," but too many Sonic games in recent history have forgotten to include one or more of those aspects in the level design, and that's one of the many reasons they have suffered. Level design means a lot in a platformer, and Sega seems to have a much better handle on 2D level design than 3D.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

When I say the game should be like a roller coaster I am not saying all the other elements be removed, we need to build momentum and do more then just run faster and faster, what I am saying is all of those things can work in 3D with the camera behind the hedgehog, and I find Sonic Adventure 1 - 2 (Sonic Segments) more enjoyable than Sonic The Hedgehog 1 - 2.

A major problems will all rescent Sonic games has been the level design, unfinished beta level bugs, repetitive stories and bad voice acting. This is a problem in the Rush series as well, with the only exception that those games generally don't have as many bugs and camera problems.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

and I find Sonic Adventure 1 - 2 (Sonic Segments) more enjoyable than Sonic The Hedgehog 1 - 2.
Well, you're in the minority there.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

I liked Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast, but the cutscenese were pretty bad, as were a couple of characters you that you had to play (Big in SA1, Tails and Robotnik in SA2). Both of these things kind of damaged the experience.

The original Genesis trilogy are still the best in my opinion, and it's going to be pretty damn hard to top them. So far, this game looks pretty good, though.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BoneyCork wrote:
and I find Sonic Adventure 1 - 2 (Sonic Segments) more enjoyable than Sonic The Hedgehog 1 - 2.
Well, you're in the minority there.
Indeed. Sonic 2 is still my favorite Sonic game, and one of my favorite platformers overall.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

TO ME a perfect sonic game would be a mix between sonic CD and sonic 3 & knuckles all of that in HD of course.

I do loved the adventures though but I'm tired of the adventure wannabe clones ( today's 3D games ), they haven't changed the formula but it has got even worst than the original ones.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I think that the Sonic Adventure games would be my favorite ones if it werent for all the levels where you arent Sonic. I can tolerate the Tails levels in the first one but everyone elses levels are all pains.