PGEN help

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PGEN help

Post by arrowhead »

I felt like getting some genesis going on my wifes PS2, so I wanted to create a PGEN disc. I have been making freaking coasters all god damn day. I dont know if I have bad files, or it cant be written on a dvd-r or what but I am getting pissed off now.

Here is what I am doing. I downloaded PGEN version 1.51 and all the zip had was an elf file. Ok, so I opened an older pgen zip and I took out the system.cnf from that version figuring it would work. I seem to remember in the past you could use system.cnf files interchangeably. Maybe I am wrong and that is the problem. Anyway, I opened nero, took the system.cnf, pgen151.elf, and a file named ROMS and burned it using nero express.

What am I doing wrong here guys? Is there a limit on the amount of roms I can use in the rom folder? Do you know where I could get a 1.51 zip file with all the necessary files?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: PGEN help

Post by melancholy »

arrowhead wrote:or it cant be written on a dvd-r or what but I am getting pissed off now..
I have no idea if this has any bearing on it, since I haven't burned a PS2 disc in a good 3-4 years, but looking at two of my old discs, they were burned on DVD+R, not -R. Also, have you tried just using a normal CD-R?
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

I have burned ps2 successfully with a -r before, so I dont think the format is the problem. I would use a cdr but the size all said is over 1gb. I guess I could cut it down, although I dont really want to make a-m and n-z discs.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Might be a stupid question, but the PS2 is chipped right (or you have a boot disc thing)?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

arrowhead wrote:I have burned ps2 successfully with a -r before, so I dont think the format is the problem. I would use a cdr but the size all said is over 1gb. I guess I could cut it down, although I dont really want to make a-m and n-z discs.
Just for experiment sake, I would try a CD with just a couple of games and see if that takes it.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

melancholy wrote:
arrowhead wrote:or it cant be written on a dvd-r or what but I am getting pissed off now..
I have no idea if this has any bearing on it, since I haven't burned a PS2 disc in a good 3-4 years, but looking at two of my old discs, they were burned on DVD+R, not -R. Also, have you tried just using a normal CD-R?
To my knowledge, all PS2 consoles are compatible with DVD-R, but older ones will not play DVD+R discs unless they have a booktype setting of 'DVD-ROM' (not all writers support this, especially for single-layer media).

I've only ever tried making a PGEN disc with CD-Rs, using ps2cdgen. This was going back a few years, and all the available information I could find at the time pointed to PGEN not being compatible with DVDs. A bit of recent Googling turns up a few different torrents and forum posts form people who do not elaborate beyond the fact that they "used Nero" to create the disc. The only relevant consideration I can think of is what filesystem you used for the disc--'UDF/ISO9660' is apparently correct for PS2 DVDs.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!