Fallout 3

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fallout 3

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...is remarkably like Oblivion, which I suppose isn't that surprising since they run on the same engine. However, the character customization seems fairly deep, and I like the setup. Also, it's nice not to have everyone in the world speak in the same voice.

Anyone else played/playing this game? Thoughts?
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Re: Fallout 3

Post by ace »

Beaten it twice. It was great both times. I love VATS, made combat much more cinematic.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Burned out after 60 hours and taking a short break from it, then will probably go back and finish the main quest. I love a lot of things about this game, and I definitely enjoy it far more than Oblivion - I think it's fantastic. Can't write much more without spoiling stuff.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I simply could not get into Oblivion. The menu system seemed so much more complex, unintuitive, slow and the combat was a complete snoozefest.

On the other hand I absolutely love Fallout 3-- this is essentially the first 'epic' RPG I've enjoyed-- I'm not sure if it's the setting or the many things that are inviting. I may go back and try Oblivion again after playing through this.

I'm only at level 14 right now, and I feel like I need to do some more sidequests before I move any farther in the main story. I think I'm at the 'point of no return' per se-- so I think I'll take a break...
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I just got it recently, haven't had too much time to play it.. but so far, I found Oblivion much, much easier to jump into.. I'm really at a loss for what to do on this game, and haven't studied the leveling system too much yet.. I'm terribly interested in getting into it, and even bought the strategy guide today.. but it's been hard. The only thing I've accomplished is blowing up Megaton... and don't really know where to go to progress the game's main story.

And I couldn't disagree more.. Oblivion was much, much simpler from the get-go. I was a serious fan of that game...

Anyone throw me any tips so I can really dive into this work of art? I really want to try.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Try venturing out east to the Galaxy News Radio building...

Seriously? Oblivion was much easier to get into? After getting out of the cave with the king or whatever, I had absolutely no fricking clue on where to go. I finally ended up at an Oblivion gate (whatever that meant), and getting murdered by a small devil half my height due to my shitty sword and terrible combat system [and lack of skill?]

*shrug* Plus the magic system, equipping items and everything else took for-fucking-ever.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:I just got it recently, haven't had too much time to play it.. but so far, I found Oblivion much, much easier to jump into.. I'm really at a loss for what to do on this game, and haven't studied the levelling system too much yet.. I'm terribly interested in getting into it, and even bought the strategy guide today.. but it's been hard. The only thing I've accomplished is blowing up Megaton... and don't really know where to go to progress the game's main story.

And I couldn't disagree more.. Oblivion was much, much simpler from the get-go. I was a serious fan of that game...

Anyone throw me any tips so I can really dive into this work of art? I really want to try.

Possible spoilers, read at your own peril:

Play as a bad character. There is a lot you will miss out on as a good character. I've found certain weapons, items, books, and collectibles only through multiple B+Es and lockpicking/hacking safes, doors, drawers, computers, etc.

I've had a lot of success with Small Weapons + Lockpick + Tag of your choice. Sometimes I go with Computers, others with Speech. Melee is good if you want a decent combat character. I tend to stay away from Big Guns and Energy Weapons.

Weapons, even those with the same name, all do different damage. After defeating a tough enemy, you'll often find they've dropped a weapon that does far more damage than your own. Take the time to check. My first time through I just chucked most of the weapons I found.

Get the Lincoln Repeater from the Museum of Natural History. It's simply the best small gun in the game with 50 base damage.

Don't blow up Megaton until you've done all the quests there.

Travel by foot as much as possible. There are random encounters, tons of enemies, and towns/locales you would have never found if you were quick travelling.

Build a few of the blueprint weapons. I recommend the shish-kebab - it's a flaming lawnmower blade attached to a vacuum and a pilot light. It's incredibly effective, and outside the cost of the blueprints (which I just stole anyway), free. The Rock-It launcher is also great fun. Use it to launch books, broken electronics, toys, tools, and even body parts for major damage.

If you are playing as a good character save all your purified water to give to the dying men outside of Megaton. This will give you major karma points.

Don't focus on one weapon type. I made this mistake the first time through, and I found the game far more difficult. Some enemies seem more resistant to certain types of ammo. So while a hunting rifle is really effective against a Super Mutant, the 9mm pistol hardly has any effect.

Get Dogmeat early in the game, but keep in mind that he becomes a major liability near the end because you'll have gotten attached to him and he dies every 15 seconds in the last quarter of the game. Reloads abound. Dogmeat can be found in the Junk yard just south of Minefield.

There are number of NPCs who follow you along your adventure. You can only have one at a time, plus Dogmeat, so make the right pick. Some of the better ones are:

Jericho, a merc who iirc is an ex slaver. You can get Jericho by being evil and paying him 500 caps. Jericho is good with an assault rifle.

Clover, a slave who can be bought at the slave camp (forget the name). Clover is insane, and I recommend getting her ASAP. I think she costs $5000, but you might be able to make a bargain. Good with small guns, melee. Requires bad karma.

Star Paladin Cross, member of the Brotherhood of Steel. You'll meet her during a story mission, and if you have enough good Karma she may join you. Good with small guns, and a good over-all NPC.

Fawkes, a Super Mutant you meet later in the game. He'll join you if you are good. He's pretty much the best follower in the game, so get him if you can.

Butch DeLoria, if you didn't kill him earlier in the game and you saved his mother, you can get Butch as a Follower a little later in the game.

Charon, Underworld Ghoul. You can get him with any Karma.

Give your Follower power armor as soon as you get a piece of it, since they will already be trained in it's use, and they can be pretty deadly while wearing it.

Don't change their default weapon because it's usually a special weapon with unlimited ammo, better accuracy, higher damage, and unlimited durability.

Final tip for now: Don't play any of the story missions until you are completely ready to stop playing the side missions. The first time I played Fallout 3, the ending snuck up on me, and I almost didn't realize it had occurred. Play those side missions, because after a certain point there is no going back.

I'll add more as I get back into the game.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Didn't you play Oblivion as a fan of Morrowind though? I jumped into Oblivion and all this "by the nine/stars/gods" stuff that Septim guy kept going on about just confused me. The more i played the more I felt like here was a raftload of lore I should know. But then, tolkien-esque fantasy settings bore me, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Gameplay-wise I can't really separate the beginning of either game.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

MulletMan13 wrote:Try venturing out east to the Galaxy News Radio building...

Seriously? Oblivion was much easier to get into? After getting out of the cave with the king or whatever, I had absolutely no fricking clue on where to go. I finally ended up at an Oblivion gate (whatever that meant), and getting murdered by a small devil half my height due to my shitty sword and terrible combat system [and lack of skill?]

*shrug* Plus the magic system, equipping items and everything else took for-fucking-ever.

all you had to do was open your map, look at the marker, and click the town. And bam. You were at Weynon Priory where the next step of the main story is.
The main story guided you completely with markers and fast travel.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
MulletMan13 wrote:Try venturing out east to the Galaxy News Radio building...

all you had to do was open your map, look at the marker, and click the town. And bam. You were at Weynon Priory where the next step of the main story is.
The main story guided you completely with markers and fast travel.
Ahh-- I believe I saw the 'fast travel' option, but never used it. It felt so cheap being able to be at the next stop in two seconds. Regardless I think I returned (or got) an amulet to that place, and after that lost interest. *shrug*

After playing through Fallout 3 and learning the dynamics and such I think I may give it another go.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Oh and ace, thanks a lot for that.

I started a new game.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they designed it so that different character choices, good/evil, provided different rewards/gameplay options.

After playing Oblivion through about 3 times, I decided to try some mods out. Some made the game much better....
Like adding a $hitload of variety like - Enemies, Armor, Weapons, Quests.

And no, Fallout isn't just Oblivion with guns... It may use the same basic physics engine (havoc), but the leveling is quite different. The battle system is very well done, some people actually complained about it not quite being FPS enough..., I mean come on it's an RPG still.

The only complaint I have so far with it is - The leveled enemy scaling, and yes Oblivion had it too, annoying...
ImageImageImageImage
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Oh and ace, thanks a lot for that.

I started a new game.

No problem. I was completely wrapped up in Fallout 3 or about two months, not to mention years of obsession with the previous two, so let me know if you needed any info.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Ok. I'm completely in love with it now.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...Damn. I'd love to try more out, but my girlfriend has gotten hooked...and since she actually paid for the game, she gets first dibs. (We had a pact: one of us would buy Fallout if the other buys Bioshock). One of the disadvantages of a two-gamer household :P
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

DaMadFiddler wrote:...Damn. I'd love to try more out, but my girlfriend has gotten hooked...and since she actually paid for the game, she gets first dibs. (We had a pact: one of us would buy Fallout if the other buys Bioshock). One of the disadvantages of a two-gamer household :P
She played you like rice and potatoes.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I enjoyed it, and I'm probably going to go back and beat it.

What I like :

-The combat system is pretty good. Considerably improved over Oblivion.
-It's pretty funny at times, with some snappy writing.
-Quite good voice work for the most part.
-Runs better than Oblivion, which surprised me.
-Dogmeat
-Using Fallout's conversation system, as Oblivion's is possibly the worst in any game ever made.

What I didn't like

-Too many points where I was forced to walk long roads/alleys/random crap to get to a new location. Boring, and tiresome - too many of these bits led to me taking a long break from the game about 2/3s of the way through it.
-At too many points it felt like I didn't have control of the story.
-I also don't like invincible characters in games like this. It feels arbitrary.
-Ridiculous boundaries made up of stuff like a rock a foot off the ground I can't jump over. That's just pure laziness in level design.
-The run speed isn't fast enough.
-Too many areas heavily favor gun users. It's playable with melee, but I liked it better in the first two how any of the weapon paths were quite viable. In this, melee/unarmed is screwed for quite a while in the game, and there are numerous points with enemies that are obnoxiously difficult to get to.
-The animations, clearly borrowed from Oblivion, are still awful - some of the worst I've seen in a title with this much budget and polish clearly in it.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

The only thing that really bugs me is having an open-ended game where all the possible ends haven't been covered. Kill a guy during a quest, and it changes everything. Kill that same guy at any other time, and everybody still talks like he is alive.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

I think I fell completely in love with this game when I accidentally wiped an entire town off the map (not Megaton).

I rescued the Big Towners from the Police HQ, then agreed to help defend the city. I got bored of waiting for the attack, so I left. When I came back, there was no one left.
No signature.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

toastman wrote:I think I fell completely in love with this game when I accidentally wiped an entire town off the map (not Megaton).

I rescued the Big Towners from the Police HQ, then agreed to help defend the city. I got bored of waiting for the attack, so I left. When I came back, there was no one left.
I saved them all, then sold who I could to the slavers.