the wii...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: the wii...

Post by Stormwatch »

Just wait, The Conduit will finally deliver teh hardcore.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Stormwatch wrote:Just wait, The Conduit will finally deliver teh hardcore.
pfft, You played on FPS you played them all. I want the wii to do something original. not waggle to do a "one button" configuration.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I want the wii to do something original.
No you don't, it's just cool to say that.

All gamers want original games because there never are any, yet all gamers are still playing games.

Am I the only one noticing the problem here?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Wii should be pushing it in originality
Why should it? I don't think Nintendo have any such obligation. They should be making games that give them the biggest profit margins, just like any other business. As unoriginal as another Smash Bros or Mario Kart may be - if they sell..they sell. And that's my point - they do sell. But if everybody wants originality from the Wii - who the fuck is buying them?
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'm really bummed out by the Wii. I bought it because there were a handful of must-plays and I figured there were more games I'd enjoy. Well, I played through the handful of must-plays... the rest of the games were either too disappointing/stupid to even bother with (Wii Music, Mario Party 53, Nights) or just shovelware by no-name game companies ("Carnival Games" anyone? How about some "Circus Games"?).

I modded my Wii but there's not even any games worth pirating. The only good games were the ones I bought the day I got my Wii. That's just pathetic. I couldn't care less about the kiddie-status of the system. Hell, I loved my Gamecube and it had the same image, but Gamecube actually had good games. The Wii is just an overpriced board game.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Not a Wii fan. I'll end up buying one eventually for Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Mario Galaxy. That's about it.

The DS is still good, though. A lot of original 4/5 star+ games on it.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

The Wii is a little disappointing to me as well. However, I think this partly depends on what you want out of a system. There are a half dozen original titles worth purchasing for the system (that's usually, for me, the point where a system becomes worth considering for a purchase - I bought the Wii at launch as I new the 1st part titles alone would eventually justify it for me).

I'd have to say possibly the biggest disappointment of all on the Wii has been Brawl's online mode. What a POS. I still haven't bought the game, as I realized I had little interest in the single player and a friend already owns it. It'd just be nice to be able to do stuff like play the modes we like against other people online, and what have you. Yeesh, is it really so hard Nintendo?

Another problem for me is that most of them are Nintendo titles (which take forever to drop in price), and I'm rarely willing to plunk down $50 on games. But, I did get No More Heroes for $7.48 from Target. That was nice. I'd also say Blast Works is worth picking up now. I paid about $30 for it, but you can get it for $10-$15 now.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

For me, it's ideal. I hardly play games anymore, and I much prefer the pick-up-and-play type games, rather than the kind of games you have to invest hours into before you get anything out of them. I don't buy that many games either, so quantity is not a problem. As long as the games I do buy have enough replay value.

That reminds me... I've still not finished Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3. Not because of lack of interest - it took me almost 8 months to finish Twilight Princess, despite enjoying it more than almost any other game I'd played in years.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

BlackAura wrote:For me, it's ideal. I hardly play games anymore, and I much prefer the pick-up-and-play type games, rather than the kind of games you have to invest hours into before you get anything out of them. I don't buy that many games either, so quantity is not a problem. As long as the games I do buy have enough replay value.
That's almost exactly how I feel, except that I was never really into the kind of games in which I had to invest hours before I got anything out of them. I've always pretty much only enjoyed the types of games I could just pick up and play.

I don't really understand why the Wii is getting such a bad rap. Everyone knows by now that the Wii is not a gamer's console. However, it is a fun console, and it's ideal for everyone that's not a gamer. That's why it's selling so well.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

am I th eonly one that thinks that Nintendo should make a 2d metroid game for the wii similiar to wario world?

that would be awesome.....
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Smiley wrote:am I th eonly one that thinks that Nintendo should make a 2d metroid game for the wii similiar to wario world?

There were fairly substantial rumors of a 2D Metroid game in development for DS called Metroid Dread, but nothing ever came of it.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Smiley wrote:am I th eonly one that thinks that Nintendo should make a 2d metroid game for the wii similiar to wario world?

Meh. The only Metroid games I could get into were the 3D ones. I loved every minute of the first Metroid Prime game when it came out, and it was my first Metroid game, so I went back to trying Super Metroid again... boring as hell. I think it had something to do with the awesome environments and overall mood of Metroid Prime, it just can't be duplicated in a 2D game... or at least not enough to keep my attention.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

After playing FPS games on the 360 and PS3 then going back to Metroid on the Wii, it feels like a timewarp.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Luckily, Metroid and MOHH2 control way better than any of the 360/PS3 FPS games can ever hope to. It's a more than worthy trade off, as far as I'm concerned.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Lartrak wrote:Luckily, Metroid and MOHH2 control way better than any of the 360/PS3 FPS games can ever hope to. It's a more than worthy trade off, as far as I'm concerned.
Really? I thought the Metroid Wii controls were horrible.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Lartrak wrote:Luckily, Metroid and MOHH2 control way better than any of the 360/PS3 FPS games can ever hope to. It's a more than worthy trade off, as far as I'm concerned.
You're kidding right? My buddy (who owns a Wii) said the exact same thing. That was, until, I beat him unmercifully the first time ever picking up a Wiimote and Nunchuk. If you move so much as a mouse fart, that's the difference between a headshot, and trying to hit the broad side of a barn.

Sorry, opinion exempt, but Wii-motion or whatever it is will never beat a traditional controller, in the same respect a traditional controller will never beat a keyboard and mouse.
Eviltaco64X wrote:Xbox is still the emulation king by far.
N64, PS1, and CPS3 are fullspeed. :)
No they aren't, unless you've soldered another 64MB of ram onto your Xbox's mobo. Even then, neither the N64 or PS1 emulation on the Xbox will ever be complete nor full speed.

You are correct though. XBOX FTW YOU NINTENDO GAIS.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

You're kidding right? My buddy (who owns a Wii) said the exact same thing. That was, until, I beat him unmercifully the first time ever picking up a Wiimote and Nunchuk. If you move so much as a mouse fart, that's the difference between a headshot, and trying to hit the broad side of a barn.

Sorry, opinion exempt, but Wii-motion or whatever it is will never beat a traditional controller, in the same respect a traditional controller will never beat a keyboard and mouse.
Beat him at what game, exactly? I find the ability to hit things accurately without heavy auto-aiming (which nearly every dual-shock game I've ever played has - even when you supposedly turn it off like in the Halo series) is much easier with IR pointing than with dual shock. The only way it loses out, at times, is the lack of instantaneous reaction and sometimes turn speeds. IR pointing does appear to be harder to implement well though, considering how poorly some games use it.

In any case, it's better in the sense I actually find it far more fun to play with IR pointing in FPS games than dual shock controls, which I don't like much at all. It's permanently awkward, and feels like a crappy imitation of mouse+KB (which, I'll agree, remains the best - and apparently always will be).

While Wii FPS games feel fun and different, dual shock makes me simply wish I was playing the PC version instead.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

In my opinion (maybe it's just me growing older), the gaming industry is generally just in a bad state right now. I know there's a lot of high profile releases (Little Big Planet, GTAIV, Metal Gear Solid 4, etc.), but I simply cannot find myself interested in any of them. Super Mario Galaxy, until recently, was the last game that I totally got immersed in.

Since then, I've played Wario Land: Shake It! (which is great fun albeit sort of easy) and De Blob (which I think is wonderful so far). When it comes to the Wii, most of the best games are first party. This is how I felt about the Gamecube too.

- Fuzmeister
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

S. Thompson wrote:In my opinion (maybe it's just me growing older), the gaming industry is generally just in a bad state right now. I know there's a lot of high profile releases (Little Big Planet, GTAIV, Metal Gear Solid 4, etc.), but I simply cannot find myself interested in any of them. Super Mario Galaxy, until recently, was the last game that I totally got immersed in.

Since then, I've played Wario Land: Shake It! (which is great fun albeit sort of easy) and De Blob (which I think is wonderful so far). When it comes to the Wii, most of the best games are first party. This is how I felt about the Gamecube too.

- Fuzmeister
I dont think that getting older has anything to do with it. It seems like the game devolopers dont want to make the games as good as they possibly can or create new fun games when they can bundle everything up into yet another sequel and make some big money. I really dont think that all these fps games need annual sequels.