Wii SD Card

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wii SD Card

Post by Luriden »

Last night I bought a 2GB Sandisk Wii SD card from Wal Mart for $20. Then I got home, read the reviews for it saying it's exactly the same as every other SD card except for the word "Wii" on it, so I'm taking it back for a refund since I haven't opened it. I read that the Wii can support cards up to 8GB, but while doing some research it looks like specific types of SD cards don't work. I don't know crap about SD as I've never had a device that needed it (except for my cell phone which uses micro SD but that came packaged with the damn phone).

Is there a specific brand or kind that works best? Where can I get the best deal? I'm not even sure if I need one, but I do plan on downloading a few N64 games from VC so I'm assuming I'll need one at some point (I don't plan on modding my Wii with the twilight hack any time soon as the homebrew just doesn't look that useful to me). I do have Smash Bros. Brawl and I might make or download some maps at some point as well and I can see that taking up space rather quickly.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wii SD Card

Post by az_bont »

From what I read when shopping for an SD card for the Wii about a month ago, the console does not support SDHC cards. This means that the Wii is limited to ordinary SD cards, which are no larger than 2GB due to some sort of addressing limit within the original spec.

Prior to the introduction of the SDHC specification, there were a small number of non-standard 4GB cards manufactured that were intended for ordinary SD (non-SDHC) devices, but compatibility was spotty--I wasn't able to find any available for sale, nor any information on whether or not the Wii will recognise them.

EDIT: On returning to the Wikipedia article, it seems that the addressing limit causes problems beyond 1GB, but as my mobile phone also supports 2GB SD cards and no more, I'm assuming that is the more usual limit for devices.

Either way, the console only supports regular SD cards, with a maximum capacity of 2GB.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, you can use pretty much any SD card that's 2GB or less. I actually use a MicroSD card with an SD adapter. They all work fine.

However, one thing you should know is that while VC games and most game saves can be transferred to an SD card, they cannot actually be used from the card. So if you copy your N64 VC Roms to the card, they disappear from the Wii Channels completely until you move it back off the card and onto internal memory.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote:Yeah, you can use pretty much any SD card that's 2GB or less. I actually use a MicroSD card with an SD adapter. They all work fine.

However, one thing you should know is that while VC games and most game saves can be transferred to an SD card, they cannot actually be used from the card. So if you copy your N64 VC Roms to the card, they disappear from the Wii Channels completely until you move it back off the card and onto internal memory.
How ridiculous.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

My cousin had a spare 2 gig MicroSD card so I'm using that with an adapter and it works fine. I haven't had a reason to use it yet and probably won't for awhile but at least I know I've got one for when the time comes.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Luriden wrote:My cousin had a spare 2 gig MicroSD card so I'm using that with an adapter and it works fine. I haven't had a reason to use it yet and probably won't for awhile but at least I know I've got one for when the time comes.
The Homebrew Channel is the best use of a Wii SD card I can think of.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

not just souLLy now wrote:
Luriden wrote:My cousin had a spare 2 gig MicroSD card so I'm using that with an adapter and it works fine. I haven't had a reason to use it yet and probably won't for awhile but at least I know I've got one for when the time comes.
The Homebrew Channel is the best use of a Wii SD card I can think of.
But there's really no homebrew I'm interested in, I've got the stuff to mod it with the twilight hack but I'm afraid of fucking something up or the next Wii update fucking me up (and I prefer to have updates). Emulators are nice but from what I've read the N64 emulator runs like crap and that's the only emulator I'm interested in, I have a PSP for the rest.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

The Wii can't use SDHC cards.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

melancholy wrote:
Somebody didn't click the link. 8-)
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

impetus wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Somebody didn't click the link. 8-)
Um, yes I did. I assume you were trying to highlight good deals on MicroSD cards in general, but beyond the two 2GB cards mentioned, the bulk of that page focused on 4GB and higher cards and I didn't know if you realized they wouldn't work.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Well I'll be a hypocrite and come out and say I went ahead and did the twilight hack. N64 emulation is crap, but I can't believe I've got full speed SNES emulation, that's awesome, especially with the classic controller.

I also just found out about the Wii Backup Loader that just leaked....and got abandoned by it's creator right afterward. Damn. :?
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

melancholy wrote:
impetus wrote:Somebody didn't click the link. 8-)
Um, yes I did. I assume you were trying to highlight good deals on MicroSD cards in general, but beyond the two 2GB cards mentioned, the bulk of that page focused on 4GB and higher cards and I didn't know if you realized they wouldn't work.
Gotcha. I was just working on the assumption that that had been established earlier in the thread. :melancholy:
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

impetus wrote:
melancholy wrote:
impetus wrote:Somebody didn't click the link. 8-)
Gotcha. I was just working on the assumption that that had been established earlier in the thread. :melancholy:
No problem bud! :P