Starting FF3(6)

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Starting FF3(6)

Post by Luriden »

I've never played this game, and I've heard all these great things about it and how it's better than FF7, so I decided to give it a shot. To anyone who's played both, is it better to play the SNES version or the PSX remake with the Anthology? I'd think the PSX version would be better since it has cinemas and CD quality music, but I've seen several cases where a remake of this sort isn't always the best. I'll be playing it on my PSP and usually the load times are never that bad for PSX games on the PSP, so I'm not taking that into consideration.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Starting FF3(6)

Post by |darc| »

I'd just play the SNES version. There's little difference between the two.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I would play the original SNES version. However, it might not run the best on the PSP. The PSX version might have a better framerate for you, but the load times in that version can become annoying, not to mention it has added slowdown in battle that the SNES version never had. On the other hand, playing the SNES version on the PSP might be too slow all around.

So yeah, I'd try both on your PSP and see which one runs better, as the SNES and PSX versions are identical. The GBA version is another good option since it has tons of extras the other versions didn't have, though the reworked script has some bothersome omissions and the soundtrack had to be altered to work with the GBA.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

melancholy wrote:I would play the original SNES version. However, it might not run the best on the PSP. The PSX version might have a better framerate for you, but the load times in that version can become annoying, not to mention it has added slowdown in battle that the SNES version never had. On the other hand, playing the SNES version on the PSP might be too slow all around.

So yeah, I'd try both on your PSP and see which one runs better, as the SNES and PSX versions are identical. The GBA version is another good option since it has tons of extras the other versions didn't have, though the reworked script has some bothersome omissions and the soundtrack had to be altered to work with the GBA.
The most recent SNES emulator for PSP actually has a very nice speed improvement, I'll have to give the game a shot. I remember Illusion Of Gaia being slow as hell but now it runs at full speed, the only noticeable flaw is sometimes the music slows down when going in and out of a building.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

The GameboyAdvance versions script is touched up and it gets the point across clearer than the SNES and PSX. It lacks in the graphics and obviously sound, but makes up for it with extra features (summons, dungeons, bosses.)

But from the two you mentioned. I assume you don't have the catridge with a SNES, then PSX is the only way to go on your PSP.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

have you try the gameboy advance emulator on the psp????......

havent try ff6 gba rom on the psp......but i remember playin ffv very smothly........
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I tried out all three versions. GBA runs very well, SNES runs smoothly but the music is a little offbeat, and the PSX version runs perfectly. I guess I'll stick with the PSX version, that way I have cinemas and crap and It's pretty much guaranteed to work all the way through.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

correct me if im wrong but i feel the psx games on the psp have a little bit less of loading time because it reads from the memory stick........also theres a option to speed the loading times on in psx games......
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Yonke wrote:correct me if im wrong but i feel the psx games on the psp have a little bit less of loading time because it reads from the memory stick........also theres a option to speed the loading times on in psx games......
Yeah, the load times are shortened by a ton on the PSP. I don't have a PSX anymore, but even if I did, I'd probably still play my PSX games on my PSP. With CWCheat, there's even an option to transfer your save files to something a PC emulator like ePSXe can read.

The GBA version runs nicely, but since this is my first time through the game I want it to be as close to the original as possible.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Luriden wrote:The GBA version runs nicely, but since this is my first time through the game I want it to be as close to the original as possible.
SNES version it up!

No, seriously, you're in for a real treat. It's a great, great game.

- Fuzmeister
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I never played FF7 but man I loved this game sooooooo much.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Make sure to have the sprint shoes on at ALL times. Its a bitch going through the game slow now. If your thinking about playing another SNES-era rpg, Breath of Fire for the GBA runs flawlessly.
TheRedFox
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheRedFox »

I've played FF3 the actual 3 before, but not FF6. i think I might get back to my old FF3 save file after I finish replaying Grandia II, or get stuck somewhere in Skies of Arcadia (which i just ordered).
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

TheRedFox wrote:I've played FF3 the actual 3 before, but not FF6. i think I might get back to my old FF3 save file after I finish replaying Grandia II, or get stuck somewhere in Skies of Arcadia (which i just ordered).
Good luck with Skies of Arcadia. That game was fucking great, and damn long as hell. The only thing I hate about it, were the slow speed fights would go with.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

TheRedFox wrote:I've played FF3 the actual 3 before, but not FF6. i think I might get back to my old FF3 save file after I finish replaying Grandia II, or get stuck somewhere in Skies of Arcadia (which i just ordered).
Have fun, Skies of Arcadia is a truly awesome game.
TheRedFox
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheRedFox »

Calavera wrote:
Have fun, Skies of Arcadia is a truly awesome game.
i really hope it comes. i'm paranoid about buying things over t3h int4rw3bz.
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Luriden wrote:I tried out all three versions. GBA runs very well, SNES runs smoothly but the music is a little offbeat, and the PSX version runs perfectly. I guess I'll stick with the PSX version, that way I have cinemas and crap and It's pretty much guaranteed to work all the way through.

I found the PSX version to be glitchy and choppy.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The SNES version is itself unusually glitchy, including a couple bugs that can actually trash your saved games (although it's hard to trigger those accidentally).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer