Finally finished Chrono Trigger

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Finally finished Chrono Trigger

Post by butters »

After about 10 years of playing it off and on, I beat Chrono Trigger today. So far I've seen 3 of the endings. I think that might be the first Square RPG I actually finished.

edit: I always forget there's a gaming forum here now...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: Finally finished Chrono Trigger

Post by melancholy »

I've tried twice, but never seem to bring myself to play through it. I don't know what it is about that game, but something about it just makes me tired of playing it. I suppose it's one of those games I should have played in it's prime and not 10+ years later. On the other hand, though, last year I played Earthbound for the first time in my life, and was absolutely glued to it for weeks.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

One thing about Chrono Trigger is that you absolutely must go through several of the sidequests to get better armor or the last boss will do damage of more than 999, and 999 is your max HP. Learned that one the hard way.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I tired to start this the other day, but I was playing it on my xbox and it did not save right and I lost a few hours so I go frustrated and gave up. I may try again after I beat FFX International, and once I get my ps memory card back from my friend so I can play my psx version.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I've been wanting to play this for ages, but the way my life is now things only get played if there is a portable version (roll on July 22 - FF4 DS - whoo!). I love GTA4 and I think my played time is still <10 hours. I just don't have time for this stuff anymore :(
OldSkoolGamer
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by OldSkoolGamer »

butters wrote:After about 10 years of playing it off and on, I beat Chrono Trigger today. So far I've seen 3 of the endings. I think that might be the first Square RPG I actually finished.
Congrats on beating it. Other than FFIV, this is probably the one I've played through the most. I really enjoyed going back through and watching all the hidden endings. Especially the ones pertaining to Magus and Frog.

BoneyCork wrote:I've been wanting to play this for ages, but the way my life is now things only get played if there is a portable version (roll on July 22 - FF4 DS - whoo!). I love GTA4 and I think my played time is still <10 hours. I just don't have time for this stuff anymore :(
Protable you say?

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

Possible port or remake maybe...
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Congrats. Now you can move onto Chrono Cross if you haven't played it already. One of the best for the PSone, imho.

Chrono Cross also has multiple endings (22? I don't remember). If you play to get the "real one", a question relating to an event that happened in Chrono Trigger will be answered.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

I've tried playing Chrono Cross but I can't stand the battle system....

I'm now 5 hours into Dragon Quest VII. In the first two hours of the game I was itching for a battle, but none came until I got through some annoying puzzles, but it's getting interesting now. The game is supposed to be 120 hours +. I'm on vacation with no plans this week, which is the only reason I have time for videogames right now, so something is going to have to happen soon to get me hooked or I'll abandon it.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Chrono Trigger I feel has actually aged WAY better than most of the other RPGs from its era. I played it for the first time three or four years ago, and actually beat it fairly quickly. Really enjoyed it. The way it has no random battles helped a LOT, the game was never overly difficult to figure out what to do, the storytelling was solid, and it actually had some minimal character development. Oh, and the battle system is actually fast and fairly fun.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I've always wanted to play through Chrono Trigger, but I never have gotten far past the beginning.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

butters wrote:II'm now 5 hours into Dragon Quest VII. In the first two hours of the game I was itching for a battle, but none came until I got through some annoying puzzles, but it's getting interesting now. The game is supposed to be 120 hours +. I'm on vacation with no plans this week, which is the only reason I have time for videogames right now, so something is going to have to happen soon to get me hooked or I'll abandon it.
Ah, one of my favorite PSX RPG's. It typically takes me about 90 hours or so to beat it, but that's mainly because the last few levels require some major grinding to prep for them. And when I say grinding, I really mean silver slime hunting, which is much faster than typical level grinding. Still, it's an extremely interesting game, especially since every island feels like an entirely new story.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Congratulations; I'd say it's one of the best games I've ever played.

- Fuzmeister
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

OldSkoolGamer wrote:
butters wrote:After about 10 years of playing it off and on, I beat Chrono Trigger today. So far I've seen 3 of the endings. I think that might be the first Square RPG I actually finished.
Congrats on beating it. Other than FFIV, this is probably the one I've played through the most. I really enjoyed going back through and watching all the hidden endings. Especially the ones pertaining to Magus and Frog.

BoneyCork wrote:I've been wanting to play this for ages, but the way my life is now things only get played if there is a portable version (roll on July 22 - FF4 DS - whoo!). I love GTA4 and I think my played time is still <10 hours. I just don't have time for this stuff anymore :(
Protable you say?

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

Possible port or remake maybe...
http://ds.ign.com/articles/885/885741p1 ... Sid=885741
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

!!!
According to IGN, it will be released in the 4th quarter of this year. I'll actually buy this one instead of using my flash cart.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Well there we are then. The day I ask for Chrono Trigger portable, Square Enix announce an English version of Chrono Trigger portable. Can't complain with that. Guess I will be playing it after all.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Boney is more influential than we all realize.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

melancholy wrote:Boney is more influential than we all realize.
Better him than Gabe, I guess...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

site has been updated.

http://www.chronotrigger.jp/
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

pavelbure wrote:site has been updated.

http://www.chronotrigger.jp/
Not to sound flametastic, but not much of an update.
Basically, they confirmed they did make the game once and it will be on the DS in Winter 2008.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I should also mention that for at least three years of my life, I was fanatically devoted to this game.
Now you bastards make me want to go waste more of my life.

/inserts his copy of the official soundtrack he forced his parents to buy. At gun point.