Virtual Console cracked

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Virtual Console cracked

Post by |darc| »

http://www.tehskeen.com/modules.php?nam ... eadid=6990

It was bound to happen sooner or later, but the Virtual Console encryption was cracked. Probably pretty useless in general since anyone capable of installing this will be capable of running homebrew and thus their own emulators, but the post about the ethics of hacking is still interesting nonetheless. Personally I like the simplicity of Nintendo's emulator, so I've bought about 6 or so games.
It's thinking...
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Virtual Console cracked

Post by emptythought »

It uses the same security hole as the trucha signer, it'll eventually get patched. Actually, it already has been patched. The menus just aren't using the new firmware yet.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

considering the utter crapiness of vc games that come out i welcome this. even though i have no clue on how it works.
now they're down to 2 releases a week and they usually both stink, to me at least.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

there are only two releases a week for the virtual console? I expected more like two releases per platform each week. But thats nintendo for ya I guess.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Nico0020 wrote:there are only two releases a week for the virtual console? I expected more like two releases per platform each week. But thats nintendo for ya I guess.
It was three up until a couple of months ago. I guess they must be running out of titles to port, what with only 10 console libraries to choose from... :roll:
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

melancholy wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:there are only two releases a week for the virtual console? I expected more like two releases per platform each week. But thats nintendo for ya I guess.
It was three up until a couple of months ago. I guess they must be running out of titles to port, what with only 10 console libraries to choose from... :roll:
Not to mention the hellish process of porting them... :roll:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

theman2000, at the other forum wrote:I'm not sure why Nintendo would care about this really. The kind of people who are tech savy enough to take the raw files, package them into a WAD, create an image that the Wii will think is an update and load each game seperatly are the same people who have already played this game on their PC, Cell Phone, Xbox, Wii in Gamecube mode, etc.
He makes a good point, but I can think of one thing Nintendo might care about. I can see this being a first step towards converting SNES roms into the VC format. Even then though, I don't see that being a significantly larger problem for Nintendo for the reasons he listed.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Roofus wrote:
theman2000, at the other forum wrote:I'm not sure why Nintendo would care about this really. The kind of people who are tech savy enough to take the raw files, package them into a WAD, create an image that the Wii will think is an update and load each game seperatly are the same people who have already played this game on their PC, Cell Phone, Xbox, Wii in Gamecube mode, etc.
He makes a good point, but I can think of one thing Nintendo might care about. I can see this being a first step towards converting SNES roms into the VC format. Even then though, I don't see that being a significantly larger problem for Nintendo for the reasons he listed.
Indeed, pretty soon the homebrew channel will be done and we'll have user-created emulators of completely legitimate legality anyway.
It's thinking...
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

melancholy wrote:
Well they have at least run out of great games from those systems to put up :roll:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Well it also appears that some people have found out how to inject new games into existing Virtual Console releases. I have seen a Smash Bros. 64 release based on Sin and Punishment.
It's thinking...
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Awesome news, I hope they get Goldeneye working on it. Does this require a Modchip to use? Or can I just copy to my SD card and transfer over.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

|darc| wrote:Well it also appears that some people have found out how to inject new games into existing Virtual Console releases. I have seen a Smash Bros. 64 release based on Sin and Punishment.
Darc, have you tried the injected ones out? I have no way of putting things on SD cards from my comp otherwise I would just try myself.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DuffMan wrote:
|darc| wrote:Well it also appears that some people have found out how to inject new games into existing Virtual Console releases. I have seen a Smash Bros. 64 release based on Sin and Punishment.
Darc, have you tried the injected ones out? I have no way of putting things on SD cards from my comp otherwise I would just try myself.
Nah, I would way rather not mess with em to be honest. I have emulators on my PC, rather not mess with the Wii stuff.
It's thinking...
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Ok cool, well I figured out I could use my Phone's SD card, and they work great. Party time Excellent.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Unfortunately at this point Goldeneye does not run. :(
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Ya, but they are still working on it as we speak. Hopefully someone can get it working soon.