WTB: DC S-Video Cable

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WTB: DC S-Video Cable

Post by Number Six »

Just curious if anyone had an extra lying around they'd be willing to part with. Alternately, I see the GOAT store has them available. Thing is, I've never ordered from them before. They're pretty reliable, right? What's the turnaround on their shipping?

Thanks!
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Re: WTB: DC S-Video Cable

Post by Smiley »

I've ordered some jaguar stuff from them in the past, so yeah, they're okay.

http://www.sega-parts.com was where I bought some saturn stuff; very nice site as well.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

You can get them on ebay for like $5 shipped.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Personally I'd say get a third party VGA box for $25ish shipped on eBay and you can use any output with standard male-male cables (S-video, composite, 1/8 audio, VGA).
It's thinking...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

GOAT is very reliable. When I ordered their Dreamcast releases I had no trouble at all and they shipped super fast.

Having said that, I have to agree with what darc wrote. A VGA box is the best thing you can buy for your Dreamcast.
Insane homebrew collector.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

|darc| wrote:Personally I'd say get a third party VGA box for $25ish shipped on eBay and you can use any output with standard male-male cables (S-video, composite, 1/8 audio, VGA).
http://www.jandaman.com/Merchant2/merch ... ry_Code=DC
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Number Six »

Thanks for the input, guys. About the VGA thingy, I don't see why I'd ever need it. I'm trying to get away from composite, so that's out. I'll never hook it up to a monitor, let alone a TV with VGA, so no go there. S-Video is good enough, may as well save the few bucks.
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
Christuserloeser

Number Six wrote:Thanks for the input, guys. About the VGA thingy, I don't see why I'd ever need it. I'm trying to get away from composite, so that's out. I'll never hook it up to a monitor, let alone a TV with VGA, so no go there. S-Video is good enough, may as well save the few bucks.
S-Video is better than composite, but never say never regarding VGA. Here's how it looks on a PC monitor via VGA:

They are obviously taken via nulldc and saved in lossy jpg, so on real hardware it actually looks way better than on these screenshots; especially colors are much more vibrant and edges aren't as blurry.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Number Six wrote:Thanks for the input, guys. About the VGA thingy, I don't see why I'd ever need it. I'm trying to get away from composite, so that's out. I'll never hook it up to a monitor, let alone a TV with VGA, so no go there. S-Video is good enough, may as well save the few bucks.
No prob. We mention it because the VGA box has an S-Video out, where you can plug a regular S-video cable. Also, a TV with VGA isn't too implausible - most new TV's have it these days.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Just wondering if I ever decide to hook my PC up to my TV would the VGA port be better then the component? I know I have the cables for component but not for the VGA. Component looked pretty good (my vid card supports hdtv output).

I would actually leave it hooked up to my TV if I had a comfortable way to use a keyboard and mouse in my living room. Well I should say comfortable way that isn't ugly (ie box in the floor, tv tray, etc).
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Christuserloeser

Veggita2099 wrote:Just wondering if I ever decide to hook my PC up to my TV would the VGA port be better then the component?
Yes, VGA is better than component. I remember we had a thread about RGB vs component not too long ago: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=96365
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:
S-Video is better than composite, but never say never regarding VGA. Here's how it looks on a PC monitor via VGA:

They are obviously taken via nulldc and saved in lossy jpg, so on real hardware it actually looks way better than on these screenshots; especially colors are much more vibrant and edges aren't as blurry.
nullDC has various options for filtering and higher resolution, did you make those screenshots? If not I'd seriously doubt they were made with accuracy to original DC in mind and not the capabilities of the emulator. I play my DC almost exclusively on vga box and the aliasing tends to be MUCH worse than that.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Quzar wrote:nullDC has various options for filtering and higher resolution, did you make those screenshots? If not I'd seriously doubt they were made with accuracy to original DC in mind and not the capabilities of the emulator.
Dude relax. I posted them as an example for the video quality with VGA compared to S-Video.
Quzar wrote:I play my DC almost exclusively on vga box and the aliasing tends to be MUCH worse than that.
Well, the above screenies are displayed in their full original resolution (640x480) on your PC monitor of a much higher native resolution (so they probably appear pretty small).

- Personally I think that every kind of filtering would be a bad thing. I like my video display as accurate as possible. These screenshots however are saved in JPEG which sucks: It's extremely blurry and colors are wrong, washed-out and blend together. I am playing via VGA and RGB-SCART, and it never looks as ugly as on these screenshots.