Final Fatasy VII for the Famicom

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Final Fatasy VII for the Famicom

Post by politoe »

Stolen from Joystiq
Remember back in the late '90s, when Square was so frustrated trying to fit their opus Final Fantasy VII onto the cartridge-based Nintendo 64 that they made their famous defection to Sony? Well, just a short decade later, China's Shenzhen Nanjing Technology Co, Ltd has apparently done what Square couldn't, squeezing the PlayStation epic onto a cartridge. And not just any cartridge .. a Famicom cartridge. How's it feel to be shown up, Square?

Of course, the conversion isn't perfect. According to a write-up from intrepid blogger CinnamonPirate (who unearthed the 2MB ROM from a Chinese blog) the polygonal graphics and cut scenes are gone, replaced with an impressively wide array of sprites, many stolen from other Final Fantasy games. The story remains surprisingly authentic, though, encompassing the entire three-disc epic while only leaving out a few optional side stories (bye bye, Yuffie and Vincent). The wide array of weapons, magic and materia from the original is a bit restricted in the port, but frankly, we're impressed that features like materia-leveling made it on to the 20+ year old hardware in any form.

The company behind the cart is apparently now primarily makes MP3 players, so our hopes for a Colecovision version of Final Fantasy XII will probably remain unfulfilled.
Removed Due To rom link
Last edited by politoe on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
Been thanked: 0

Re: Final Fatasy VII for the Famicom

Post by Veggita2099 »

Don't think that proves Sony was wrong. At the time Cut scenes was a new and popular feature for games and anyway you look at it the N64 couldn't have offered the space for them. Even the game itself as it was might not have fit on a cartridge without dumbing it down even more (removing side quests, lowering the resolution of the backgrounds). By this point the game would look worse then it did on the PS1. If you did all of that what would have been the point in putting it in the N64 and having to charge $10 or $20 more for it since cartridges are more expensive?

I always felt the N64 should have been a cd-based system like the rest.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Thanks for posting this link! I recommend MS Internet Explorer to browse the Chinese site.
Insane homebrew collector.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Veggita2099 wrote:Don't think that proves Sony was wrong. At the time Cut scenes was a new and popular feature for games and anyway you look at it the N64 couldn't have offered the space for them. Even the game itself as it was might not have fit on a cartridge without dumbing it down even more (removing side quests, lowering the resolution of the backgrounds). By this point the game would look worse then it did on the PS1. If you did all of that what would have been the point in putting it in the N64 and having to charge $10 or $20 more for it since cartridges are more expensive?

I always felt the N64 should have been a cd-based system like the rest.
Sony would have gotten pwned if it was *evil grin*
Have you played dreamcast today?
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Did no on look at the screenshots. This is fucking horriable. It barely even ressimables FF7. Its like sure anyone could fucking make a rpg and name it ff7. This is crappy half assed rom hack getting to much atention for nothing.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

RMD wrote:This is crappy half assed rom hack
Most of the graphics are ripped, but the code isn't (at least according to Sobodash, and he probably knows what he's talking about).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

RMD wrote:Did no on look at the screenshots. This is fucking horriable. It barely even ressimables FF7. Its like sure anyone could fucking make a rpg and name it ff7. This is crappy half assed rom hack getting to much atention for nothing.
What are you talking about? I can recognize what's going on and at what part of the story they're in in a large amount of those screenshots. What do you expect it to look like? This is the NES we're talking about.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:
RMD wrote:Did no on look at the screenshots. This is fucking horriable. It barely even ressimables FF7. Its like sure anyone could fucking make a rpg and name it ff7. This is crappy half assed rom hack getting to much atention for nothing.
What are you talking about? I can recognize what's going on and at what part of the story they're in in a large amount of those screenshots. What do you expect it to look like? This is the NES we're talking about.
I got the ROM and played it for about a half hour. To be honest, it is quite a stretch to connect a gothic castle where you battle mummies and monsters with a Mako reactor filled with soldiers. However, the cutscenes are definitely there. In the short amount of time I spent, I got off the train, battled the 4 soldiers on the platform, met and talked with the members of Avalanche outside the reactor gate, and teamed up with Barrett after a conversation where, though I can't read Chinese, I'm sure he said he didn't trust me and wanted to follow me to make sure I didn't turn on them, exactly like in the original. Not to mention a functioning Materia system that actually implements awesome new elements (like an in-battle Materia switching system to tailor to each battle). This all from a NES hack done by a no-name company. If that isn't impressive, I don't know what is.

Now I only wish for an English translation. Now that the ROM is in the wild, it won't be long before someone gives it a shot (though it will probably be years until one would potentially be completed).
JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK »

melancholy wrote:
|darc| wrote:
I got the ROM and played it for about a half hour. To be honest, it is quite a stretch to connect a gothic castle where you battle mummies and monsters with a Mako reactor filled with soldiers. However, the cutscenes are definitely there. In the short amount of time I spent, I got off the train, battled the 4 soldiers on the platform, met and talked with the members of Avalanche outside the reactor gate, and teamed up with Barrett after a conversation where, though I can't read Chinese, I'm sure he said he didn't trust me and wanted to follow me to make sure I didn't turn on them, exactly like in the original. Not to mention a functioning Materia system that actually implements awesome new elements (like an in-battle Materia switching system to tailor to each battle). This all from a NES hack done by a no-name company. If that isn't impressive, I don't know what is.

Now I only wish for an English translation. Now that the ROM is in the wild, it won't be long before someone gives it a shot (though it will probably be years until one would potentially be completed).
Where did you get the rom?

Thank you.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

JKKDARK wrote:
melancholy wrote:
|darc| wrote:

Thank you.
The guy linked to it on that site.
JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK »

melancholy wrote:
JKKDARK wrote:
melancholy wrote:
|darc| wrote:

Thank you.
Ok I found it. Thank you.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

JKKDARK wrote:
melancholy wrote:
JKKDARK wrote:
melancholy wrote:
|darc| wrote:

Thank you.
Ok I found it. Thank you.
I tried to hint at it in my previous post.
Insane homebrew collector.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Well I just noticed if showed you how to get the rom. Thanks for the heads up.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Doesn't anyone remember the FFX NES rom that was made a while back?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Lartrak wrote:Doesn't anyone remember the FFX NES rom that was made a while back?
I believe I still have the beta of it floating around on my computer, though it wasn't nothing more than a couple of sprites in the intro with no text or anything. I'm pretty sure the project just died off.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

melancholy wrote:
Lartrak wrote:Doesn't anyone remember the FFX NES rom that was made a while back?
I believe I still have the beta of it floating around on my computer, though it wasn't nothing more than a couple of sprites in the intro with no text or anything. I'm pretty sure the project just died off.
From what I've been reading, apparently the thing I was thinking of was not a ROM, but a hack of FF2 that ran on the PC.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Lartrak wrote:
melancholy wrote:
From what I've been reading, apparently the thing I was thinking of was not a ROM, but a hack of FF2 that ran on the PC.
Well the thing I have (or had, since I realized I lost that ROM in my hard drive crash) was an actual NES ROM that would only run in certain emulators. There wasn't much at all to it other than a few sprites gathered around a fire (like in the FFX intro) and a title screen.