Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection

Post by TyBO »

http://kotaku.com/351930/metal-gear-sol ... t-gamestop

It's a box set of the original MGS, as well as the "director's cut" versions of MGS2 (Substance) and MGS3 (Subsistence). The best part is, you can pick it up for only $30.

I know I'll be buying it. I've been meaning to get into the Metal Gear Solid series, and this is probably the best way to do it. I just hope I won't get so hooked on the series that I'll go out and buy a PS3 out of necessity so I can play MGS4 later this year. :uhm:
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection

Post by melancholy »

I already have all of those on one system or another (the PSX/Bleemcast version of MGS, the PC version of MGS2S, and the Limited Edition PS2 version of MGS3S).

And don't use that set as a reason to buy a PS3. Unless you get the 60GB version, none of those games will work on a PS3.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

melancholy wrote:Unless you get the 60GB version, none of those games will work on a PS3.
What? MGS1 will run on any PS3, and MGS2 will run on any EE-equipped PS3. MGS3 will run on EE-only PS3s but has performance problems.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
melancholy wrote:Unless you get the 60GB version, none of those games will work on a PS3.
What? MGS1 will run on any PS3, and MGS2 will run on any EE-equipped PS3. MGS3 will run on EE-only PS3s but has performance problems.
I just did a search, and you're right about the first MGS. I though PSX compatibility was stripped from it too, but I guess not. However, the 40GB will not play any PS2 games, and it is the only console version in production right now. I also heard that MGS3 didn't work through emulation, but I couldn't test it.

So yeah, the collection would fully work on a 60GB PS3, only half work on a 80GB PS3, and only slightly works on a 40GB PS3. And Sony wonders why people don't like mulitple SKUs...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

melancholy wrote:I also heard that MGS3 didn't work through emulation, but I couldn't test it.
It has documented crash problems on older firmware versions. It's supposed to run on the current one, but with noticeable slowdown/choppiness.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I'm probably going to get this. I already have all of the games, but they're spread out all over creation. I have MGS2 Substance on Xbox (which isn't plugged in at the moment), and I don't have MGS3 Subsistence...just regular MGS3. Lord only knows where my copy of MGS went. Having MGS 1, 2, and 3 in one place on the same console is worth $30 to me...esspecially since I don't have MGS3 Subsistence, and I'd like to play through it with the newer camera system.