Super Mario Galaxy highest rated next-gen game; beats Halo 3

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Super Mario Galaxy highest rated next-gen game; beats Halo 3

Post by |darc| »

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... o%20galaxy

Highest next-gen game at 97/100 on metacritic. Pretty neat. Now I need to get my hands on it.
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Super Mario Galaxy highest rated next-gen game; beats Halo 3

Post by butters »

I love it! This is the most fun I've had playing a video game in years! I feel like I did the first time I played Mario 3. If you have a Wii and you don't buy this game, you are missing what might be (if the rest of the game is as good as the first) the game of the decade. This game is a system seller if there ever was one...not that the Wii needs even more demand.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I stood in Walmart for like 30 minutes playing and had to be torn away from it essentially. Once this game is in stock I am definitly going to buy it. I cant imagine how large this game is since there are over 40 galaxies. 40 levels! There were 15 (right?) levels in Super Mairo 64 and I played that game forever.

Also after looking at the strategy guide for this game in Walmart I am even more stoked after seeing what happens when you get 120 stars. I dont want to ruin the surprise for anyone that hasnt heard about it though, so if you really wanna know then google it.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

butters wrote:I feel like I did the first time I played Mario 3.
I heard a great analogy a couple weeks ago (I think on the EGM podcast) that compares the past three Mario games to the Mario trilogy on the NES. They compare quite favorably when you think about it:

Super Mario Bros./Super Mario 64 - A genre-defining platformer that set the standards for all future platformers to come.

Super Mario Bros 2/Super Mario Sunshine - A fun game, although not very innovative and didn't feel too much like Mario.

Super Mario Bros 3/Super Mario Galaxy - The most polished and expansive Mario game of the three. The levels are small, but the design is brilliant and creative.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I played it a few minutes at Gamestop. This actually does look like a good game. I am going to try to get up to Toys R us tomorrow for that $25 gift card deal. I just hope it isn't like those day after thanksgiving things where you gotta stand in line for hours to stand a chance at getting it. IF it is hell with it I will just go somewhere else and get it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Sounds great :D

I can't wait to get this game. :D Hooray for living in Australia and waiting for releases... :cry:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Veg - I was there at opening, and there were like 3 guys with me trying to get SMG at my Toys R Us. So it isn't as bad as Black Friday. The shipment wasn't going to arrive until 2 PM. They said they'd be getting tons of them. I doubt anyone is really going to be waiting around for hours to get it.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I called the local toys r us and they said they had plenty of them in stock. Was hoping they had Rise of Kunark there as well but apparently they don't.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Definitely awesome. The camera was a bit strange at first, specifically when your running upside down on planets, but I got over it quickly. Crazy game and I love it.
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

I want this game very badly, But I gotta save my money for when I travel to VA on thanksgiving.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I got it at Toys R Us, and got the $25 gift card. Yay, now I can buy Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for $25!

SMG is very good so far. I just beat that Sweet Sweet single star galaxy. Definitely the most challenging bit so far, but in a fun way. I hope they have more challenges as difficult as that, hopefully even harder ones.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I REALLY thought that $25 gift card was a misprint and wouldn't be honored. If there was a Toys r us anywhere near me I would have given it a shot.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

I stopped by Toys R Us yesterday morning and they didn't have the game yet, so I went over to Best Buy and asked a guy if they'd pricematch the $25 giftcard. I didn't have the ad, so he went to an office and looked on Toys R Us' site, came back and said they'll give me a $25 Best Buy giftcard with it. They ended up making my receipt look like the game cost $24.99 and I paid for a $25 giftcard. Pretty cool though.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

got it yesterday and im in love with it..... it a fresh air on mario series without losing his 3d mario64 roots....

a know its obvious but is a must have............
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I'm at like 15 stars now. At the going rate, I'll probably 100% it in like 12 hours. I'm assuming it gets at least a bit harder as it goes on. I hope so, as I wish for a bit more challenge (I just beat the first very major boss, and I did it without coming even close to getting hit). Still very fun though, with tons of variety.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Though I can't say it's not a great game, I must admit I'm disappointed. For a game with a focus of worldly exploration, I've never felt so confined in a 3D Mario game. Everything is predetermined, and though they give you hints of exploration, it never materializes in the way Mario 64 did. The greatest thing about Mario 64 was jumping into the world and seeing what you could discover. You could move in any direction in an attempt to find stars. You never had to find the star you were specifically on. You could stumble upon them freely. That was removed almost completely in Galaxy. Now you pick a star you wish to pursue, then you are off on a predetermined course towards that star. Sure, the journey to that star is fun, but if I wanted to deter from that path, well, I can't. Now granted, I've only beaten the first five galaxies, but I can only hope for more freedom as I move on.

Oh, and another thing. Developers can no longer put out crappy looking games and blame hardware limitation. Super Mario Galaxy is the most amazing looking game on the Wii, period. I'd almost go as far to say that it rivals first gen 360 games like Kameo in the visual department.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

After 2 days I have about 70 stars and have beaten Bowser (couldnt be much easier), the exploration is gone that made Super Mario 64 great. I enjoy the difficulty of the stars you can get only after beating Bowser. Its nice to see some actual difficulty, but I damaged my wiimote in frustration (speaker isnt working anymore, aiming a little off).

My favorite part of the game yet is when you get onto very small planets and long jump out of orbit and fly around the planet several times. Playing with gravity is a lot of fun.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I love this game but I have One major complaint. THE GAME IS TOO DAMN EASY. I completed the game with 95 stars and don't even feel satisfied. The reason Super Mario 64 was more satisfying is because it was challenging. However I have to tip my hat to nintendo for making a perfect next gen platformer. Great Graphics and Tunes are what makes the game Really superb.
Have you played dreamcast today?
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Dreamcast4life wrote:I love this game but I have One major complaint. THE GAME IS TOO DAMN EASY. I completed the game with 95 stars and don't even feel satisfied. The reason Super Mario 64 was more satisfying is because it was challenging. However I have to tip my hat to nintendo for making a perfect next gen platformer. Great Graphics and Tunes are what makes the game Really superb.
They had too many complaints about the difficulty of Sunshine, so they made this one easier. These days I get more enjoyment out of an easy game anyway. I don't have the free time to try the same level 100 times.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

butters wrote:
Dreamcast4life wrote:I love this game but I have One major complaint. THE GAME IS TOO DAMN EASY. I completed the game with 95 stars and don't even feel satisfied. The reason Super Mario 64 was more satisfying is because it was challenging. However I have to tip my hat to nintendo for making a perfect next gen platformer. Great Graphics and Tunes are what makes the game Really superb.
They had too many complaints about the difficulty of Sunshine, so they made this one easier. These days I get more enjoyment out of an easy game anyway. I don't have the free time to try the same level 100 times.
I hear that, I'd rather a game be easy and I complete it and enjoy it rather then getting to the 5th level breaking the controller and not picking the game up again for 6 months.