Hardest Game You Have Ever Played?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.

What is the hardest video game you've played?

Battletoads
14%
Castlevania (the pre-SotN games)
4%
Contra (any)
14%
Ghouls'n'Ghosts (or any variant thereof)
14%
Gunstar Heroes
No votes
House of the Dead (any)
No votes
Ikaruga
11%
Kirby's Adventure (yes, this is the gag answer)
No votes
MDK 2
4%
Megaman (any, though I feel 2 is the hardest MM)
14%
Ninja Gaiden (any)
14%
Resident Evil (any)
4%
Other (please specify...)
7%

Total votes: 28
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hardest Game You Have Ever Played?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

A side discussion in the VC thread got me thinking about this. I think I did one of these a couple years ago, but I'm curious as to people's opinion:

What is the hardest video game you have ever played?

Did you enjoy it? Did you ever beat it? Please note that I'm talking about *legitimate* difficulty here (open to individual interpretation, I suppose), not difficulty as a result of broken gameplay. For example, Bubble Bobble Revolution for DS is quite literally IMPOSSIBLE to beat, but that's because one of the levels is broken and won't let you advanced. It doesn't count.

I think I covered all the really common responses...if you don't see yours, just hit "Other" and write it in.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: Hardest Game You Have Ever Played?

Post by MulletMan13 »

Battletoads was the hardest game that I've ever beaten before... I can't think of many other legitimately hard games NOT resulting from broken gameplay... but I'll keep you updated if I remember any.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Riven without a strategy guide.

But going from your list, Battletoads would be the hardest game I've ever played, and Megaman 2 would be the hardest game I've ever beaten.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Turok 2. Very challenging, coupled with massive distances between each savepoint and a crappy engine. Hated it. A real test of patience, something I just don't have when it comes to videogames.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I enjoyed Turok 2 after several hours, and eventually beat it, but it's very hard to enjoy playing it again.

Hardest? Battletoads, hands down.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I voted Ninja Gaiden, for the Xbox/PS3 incarnations. There's a lot of subtlety there that's taken quite a bit of play for me to even begin to get used to it.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Even on hard mode I never have had much of a problem with Megaman 2. On easy mode its probably too easy. Kinda funny how people talk about it being such a hard game yet I can't even come close to enjoying any of those MEgaman X games due to their difficulty.

Anyways that Japanese Transformers game was pretty insanely hard, although it was pretty much junk to begin with. Battletoads was pretty ridiculously hard as well. I did beat the game once but I had to use game genie. If im not mistaken the final stage was basically jumping from 1 pole to another the entire time right? That game was way too long not have any type of password or save support.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

Out of those choices, I gotta say Ninja Gaiden. I like the NES ones but they are very hard. The one on Xbox I tried to get into, but it was so difficult it just got me so frustrated and I honestly don't see why people like that game so much. You have to have the patience of a saint to not get pissed off playing it.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Ninja Gaiden isn't hard, just takes time to find out the patterns. I had afriend who would beat it without dying.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I really don't get why some people say Megaman 2 is hard. I beat it on a rental when it first came out.. I was like 6 or 7.

Battletoads is up there. I've gotten to the final boss, but no further. Oh, and there are numerous harder games - just few that aren't broken. Deadly Towers for example.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Contra.
All the Contra games I've played are just unreasonably difficult. I guess there are super-hardcore freaks out there who enjoy the insane difficulty level of Contra, but that's why they must be freaks.

And if you ask me Mega Man 2 wasn't that bad. It's a cakewalk when compared to the Playstation/GBA incarnations.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I agree on Mega Man 2. I never played much of it back in its prime to remember, but I did beat it on MMAC without too much trouble.

I voted Ninja Gaiden, primarily with the Xbox game in mind. It's insane. I never beat the horse boss on the second level, I gave up on the game after that.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

This one's easy. It's a tie between Battletoads and the first TMNT for NES. I never beat either. I got to the Technodrome on TMNT, but couldn't find Shredder. Without cheating in Battletoads, I was able to get to the level where the swirly thing chases you. Apparently the last level is after that? I dunno. The Ninja Gaiden games are also close to the top of my list.
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Phantasy Star 2 & Super Ghouls & Ghosts.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Phantasy Star 2 & Super Ghouls & Ghosts.
Damn! I completely forgot to put the Phantasy Star games on the list...those things are a lesson in ass-kicking!

...I don't think I've ever had the patience to finish one.
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

PS3 was easy, the total opposite of 2. The only reason I finished 2 was because I bought a second hand copy of it & the previous owner had filled in the maps in the guide which made it a little bit easier. :lol:
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Veggita2099 wrote:That game was way too long not have any type of password or save support.
Like most NES games.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Gradius for NES has always pissed me off. I think it's because after you die, you have to start waaaay back. You don't just respawn like in Lifeforce. But I voted for Ikaruga because that's pure insanity.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

TyBO wrote:Contra.
All the Contra games I've played are just unreasonably difficult. I guess there are super-hardcore freaks out there who enjoy the insane difficulty level of Contra, but that's why they must be freaks.
Here's your answer for the Contra games:
politoe wrote:Ninja Gaiden isn't hard, just takes time to find out the patterns. I had afriend who would beat it without dying.
I used to get, and still get, into arguments with a cousin of mine who was the one that beat the final boss in Contra 2 (Probotector 2 for us) and who were the one that died right before it. Some time ago I picked up that game and played it on NesterDC SE with my bro and we finished it twice in a row as if it was no big deal at all. That game really isn't that hard when you literally know every enemy in the game :P Just screw those teethed vaginas in level 6.

The hardest game I ever played was Mission: Impossible on NES. The third boss was impossible to beat, no matter what you did, you'll always end up falling through the floor that would disappear if you'd stand on it for too long. I enjoyed the first three levels though. Still, the hardest part was probably that the entire game was in bloody French.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Ghouls'n'Ghosts (or any variant thereof)
i was gonna select batletoads but at least on that game i could get at the last stage....

but in ghouls & ghost its a miracle if i can get to the fourt level level........