FF8 help.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Thomas
Thomas
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

FF8 help.

Post by Thomas »

Well I think I sort of screwed myself right now. I am in Galbadia Garden about to fight Cerberus, but I do not have any dispel magic to get rid of his triple cast which is killing me. I also forgot to draw Carbucnle GF, which I heard helps as he wastes turns triple casting dispel on the reflect spell. Any one know if any of the guys in the Garden can have dispel drawn from them, or am I SOL and have to pass over Cerberus?
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Re: FF8 help.

Post by Veggita2099 »

Its been a long time since I played that game. You might look that boss up on gamefaqs.com? I don't remember having any trouble with that particular boss and to be honest I sucked at that game. There was one part that I had to use a gameshark on and even then I barely got past it (won't go into details as it might qualify as a spoiler).
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Gamefaqs is where I got the info on the stuff I should got/have but don't. I think I'll just run around the entire garden and fight different stuff and see if I can draw some dispel, because that is really the only thing making the battle hard is his triple cast.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

Man, you made it hard for yourself for missing out on carbuncle and dispel :lol: Maybe you should concentrate your best junctions on squall (or whoever is your best attacker). Junction Blind to your attack and Thundaga/Quake to your defense would help.

This may be classed a spoiler, it's not story related but some details that will happen later on: [You can get GF's you've missed i.e. Carbuncle and Cerberus. in the final stage. But by then you would miss out on their abilities, unless you stick around the final stage to unlock them]
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Well I wondered around for a bit and found a monster with dispel and put it to sleep and stocked up with it and quite a few other magics. After I got dispel this battle was 100 times easier.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Ok, I am at the end, and Griever keeps destroying me so I have been looking at some guides and it appears I may need a few things. Anyone know where to get meltdown magic, and some Phoenix Pinion's?
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

GameFAQs wrote: MELTDOWN
Effect: Adds Vit 0 Status to one target.
[HP+1500^, STR+24^, VIT+80^, MAG+20, SPR+20, SPD+3, EVA+2%, HIT+12%, LUCK+8]
10 refined from 1 Mystery Fluid using ST Mag-RF (Diablos).
Draw from Gayla, Bomb (HL).
Draw from Jumbo Cactuar (optional GF boss, Cactuar Island).
GameFAQs wrote:PHOENIX PINION
Use: Summons Phoenix, who revives any Wounded allies and hits all enemies
with a strong Fire attack. Phoenix will appear randomly in all battles throughout
the game when the party has been defeated, as long as one character has a Phoenix
Pinion and the Item command.
Refine 20 of them for 1 Phoenix Spirit using GFAbi Med-RF (Eden).
Refine for 100 Firaga* using F Mag-RF (Ifrit).
Do Shumi Village quest.
Found in Lunatic Pandora as Zell.
Refined from 3 Mega Phoenixs using Med-LV Up (Alexander).
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I have never been more frustrated in my life than I am right now. I can get to the last of battles with Ultimecia, but she kills me with that damn Apocalypse attack. It seriously took me an hour to get there, I am debating just quitting the whole game and watching the end on youtube. I seriously want to punch someone in the face right now, and I am not normally one to get mad at games. I wasted like 3 hours tonight trying to beat this bitch, but I can't.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

It's been so long, all I remember was using loads of Elixirs/Megalixirs to heal and Aura to dish out the damage (Squall and Irvine).

Have you got the bahamut card? You can get 100 Megalixirs from it.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

My strategy has pretty much been let her kill off characters not in my main party, attack her until she summons Griever. Attack Griever, then when he is about to do his move, summon some gf's or if I have time through a Hero on everyone. Usually by this point I have Rinoa's Angel Wing limit break and see does most magic damage for 9999. I can get past all the parts until the end easy with this. When Ultimecia is in her last for she does that Hell's Judgment ability and I the usually waste a turn or two using the recover ability and curaga on my party. It seems like I did like 50,000 damage to her, than she pulled that Apocalypse attack out and wiped out my old party.

Unfortunately I did not play the card game so I don't have the Bahamut card, and I think I have maybe 3 megalixirs in my inventory. Is there anywhere I can go through those portals to get some stuff I can refine into useful stuff? I'd really rather not have to go back to my save before the Lunatic Pandora since that is like 3-4 hours old.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

That was probably why the game was so hard for me, I never messed with that stupid card game either. Most of the people who claim the game was easy played that card game to death. Since you are close to the end I can say the part I absolutely couldn't even come close to passing was that one boss in Lunatic Pandora. IT was the battle where the sorcerer fuses with Rinoa and you have to protect her (sorta) while fighting it. Also all the enemies in that area only would give 1 exp for some reason so simply running circles to level up wasn't really an option. But yea after that point I pretty much gamesharked it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

There is a warning before she casts Apocalypse ("drawing Apocalypse"), so you should really be prepared for it. But if you still get wiped out even when fully healed then... maybe you need more hp? lol sorry, not much help :? Instead of watching the ending on youtube, maybe you should look at vids of the final battle and see if you can get any tips from them? (from what i've seen/read, Squall's limit break=win)
Thomas wrote:Unfortunately I did not play the card game so I don't have the Bahamut card
I never bothered with the card game either, i got the Bahamut card by beating him in the deep sea research center.
Veggita2099 wrote:Also all the enemies in that area only would give 1 exp for some reason so simply running circles to level up wasn't really an option
iirc the level of the enemies/bosses in the game are based on your party's level. So there really isn't much point in gaining xp in the game, in fact a high level party could make it harder because that would make the enemies tougher.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

The point of levelling up in FF8 is to get higher level spells and items. As the monsters level up with you they have better spells to draw and drop different items. Plus you can gain extra skills for your GFs.

It is true though that running in a circle just to level up your characters for a boss battle is a total waste of time.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'll probably give it another go after work. I think it'd probably help to have more HP, but Squall has 9999 but I had it low to try to get his limit break at the time, while my other 2 members have close to 6000 hp. I think it'd be a lot easier of a battle if I had like 10 more megaelixirs, and maybe like 5 more heroes :(.
ThinkTank
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ThinkTank »

If you can leave then go out, junction 100 Deaths to a weapon (have other characters either the same or with 100 Drains) and go to either the Island Closest to Heaven or the Island Closest to Hell (the far east and west islands on the world map). Monsters there are about level 100 and you can draw some good magic there. Once you got your magic/EXP just one-shot the mob. A *lot* (not all) are suseptable to Death and will just die in one hit.

I played Triple Triad to death too. And to be honest I don't remember struggling with the game at all.

Someone mentioned this earlier too: Squall's limit break really does hurt. If you can get the Lionheart then cast Aura on Squall, you'll take down most baddies in the game in a very short time (unless it's Omega Weapon or something). You won't have to worry about having yellow health either.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I ended up going back to my save right before the Lunatic Pandora. I went and got Bahamut, so now I have 100 megaelixirs, and a bunch more full life and strength junctions so I have a ton more HP (everyone has 8000+) and much higher strength on everyone. Hopefully this time when I get to her again it will be a lot easier. Now I have to go fight all the monsters in the castle again, but those are all really easy.

Edit: Which boss in the castle can I draw my missing GFs from? I know I can get Eden from the last one.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

Tri Point: Siren
Krysta: Carbuncle
Trauma: Leviathan
Red Giant: Pandemona
Gargantua: Cerberus
Catoblepas: Alexander
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I beat it a bit ago, and man it was 100 times easier this time around. The last battle seemed like it took like 30 mins though, but was still easy. The ending was pretty good too, but I was sort of rushed trying to watch it as I was late for work.