Hard To Port

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hard To Port

Post by Roofus »

There's one game that no console plays well, and that is catch-up. All systems eventually face a time when they're simply incapable of properly handling the newest and biggest games on the market. Sometimes publishers want to milk their hit title by porting it to every system imaginable, regardless of their individual capabilities; other times, they are forced to continue using an outdated system because its next generation sibling isn't ready yet. In any case, developer and consumer alike would have been better off with games designed to emphasize the strength of each system rather than shoehorning in whatever was popular at the time.

The following are just a few examples of high-end games ported to low-end systems. Feel free to add your own in the comments. Keep in mind that I'm deliberately ignoring certain games like the infamous 2600 version of Pac-Man, as its failings resulted as much from rushed production and managerial incompetence as it did technical limitations.

Double Dragon (Atari 2600)
Arcade
NES
Atari 2600

I was surprised this game existed at all; the 2600 is mostly known for simple, single-screen arcade titles, not fighters with multiple moves and characters. But by 1988 the system was eleven years old, and there was only so much they could do. With only one action button, different attacks are assigned to a button + joystick direction combination -- holding up and pressing fire does a flying kick, for instance. Since the joystick is also needed to, y'know, move around, you can often find yourself moving slightly away from your enemy and then attacking the air. The problem is exacerbated by stiff controls and enemies who suffer none of these hindrances, meaning they can bludgeon you to death while you're wiggling around trying to do a kick.

One must admire the effort, though: There are one and two player modes (though in the latter each player is restricted to either the top or bottom half of the screen), and even a two player versus mode. They've included weapons, even if that just means a brown rectangle (bat) and white rectangle (knife). Linda and Abobo are here too, albeit with Linda looking like a strip of cabbage dipped in mayonnaise.

Even some of the music made the transition, though after about 5 seconds you wish that it hadn't.

NES Stage 1 theme
Atari 2600 Stage 1 theme

And it just goes on like that.

Zaxxon (Atari 2600)
Arcade
Colecovision
Atari 2600

Okay, I admit, this whole article could just be about the 2600 and its many ill-advised arcade ports. But while many were simply clunky or ugly, a select few make you wonder why they ever thought it was a good idea to begin with.

Zaxxon and isometric perspective are inextricably linked. If a person can't remember anything else about the game, they at least remember that. For a while, if someone wasn't familiar with the term "isometric perspective", you could just follow it up with "Y'know, like Zaxxon." It's the element that really made the game stand out in arcades, next to the comparatively flat and simple likes of Burgertime and Dig Dug. Thus it was only natural for the developers to completely remove the single defining aspect of the game for a port to a system that shouldn't be attempting this kind of game anyway.

Though, like Double Dragon, you do have to give them points for trying. They replaced the 3/4 view with an equally unusual heads-on perspective, with barriers and enemy sprites moving directly towards the screen. It's not exactly Space Harrier, but it at least allows for a vague approximation of the original's gameplay. Unfortunately, the missiles are gone (aside from the one on the robot's shoulder) and while the altimeter is still present, it's pretty much impossible to tell the height of anything on the field anyway. For reasons unknown, the altimeter is removed for the space sections and you fight on a single axis.

While the Zaxxon name should never have graced the 2600, I can't help but think something could have been made of this game with more tweaking and without the standard of the arcade title to live up to. Maybe drop the space bit and turn it into River Raid 3D.

Rise of the Robots (Game Gear)

DOS

SNES

Game Gear

It can be hard to tell when a port is bad when the original game was terrible anyway, but the Game Gear edition of Rise of the Robots does what it can to let you know. The one selling point Robots had (and it wasn't much of one) was its rendered characters and fluid animation, and while they did manage to keep some of the FMV for the Game Gear port, the rest of the game is a mess. Sprites are small and ugly, the animation is choppy, and the blue blob and yellow chunk are fighting in front of what I can only assume is a giant Twizzler. But hey, maybe it will get better with the next fight.

nope

I also want to point out that in the process of taking these screenshots I killed the yellow metal thing by continually kicking it in the toes until it fell down, but the timer keeps going during the death animation. So after it hit the ground the timer ran out and the game declared the round a draw. Rise of the Robots sucks.

Virtua Fighter 2 (Genesis)
Arcade
Saturn
Genesis

One way to get around the fact that your system couldn't possibly handle the game in question is to turn it into a completely different game. Wanting to combine the popularity of the Virtua Fighter series with the popularity of a Sega system more than five people owned, Sega decided to squeeze their next generation, made-for-the-Saturn arcade fighter onto the last generation, totally-not-a-Saturn Genesis. The change is so drastic that one could argue it doesn't even count as a port, but what else can you call it? It has the same name, look, characters, and moves, the only thing that's missing is everything that drew people to VF in the first place.

What's odd about the port is that even after taking the 3D out, they still couldn't seem to make the game work on the Genesis. They also had to remove Shun and Lion from the character roster (the very two characters introduced for VF2 to begin with), cut several backgrounds and moves, and take out every game mode that wasn't arcade or versus. It makes one wonder why they bothered at all, or at the very least didn't just call it a port of the first Virtua Fighter. Yes, the obvious answer is "money," but surely they had other franchises they could more easily exploit. There's a Sonic golf game out there just waiting to be made.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)

Arcade

PSX

SNES

It should go without saying that an arcade game made in 1996 ported to the SNES is going to lose some things in the translation. The sprites are smaller, the animation has fewer frames, the color palette is limited, the secret characters are gone, and the music is more MIDI-ish. But what's actually more notable is how much remained intact. Thanks to a special data compression chip, all the characters, stages and endings have been retained. Hell, even the intro is still in.

Arcade

SNES

While it would never be chosen over the PSX or Saturn versions, this was still a decent port if you really wanted to play Alpha 2 and all you had was a Super NES. The major issue against it is not the drop in resolution but in speed. Even at the highest speed setting, the game feels muddy and clunky. Not enough to completely ruin the game, but enough to remind you you should really be playing this on a more well-equipped system.

Trivia to pull out at your next cocktail party: Due to the aforementioned data compression, Street Fighter Alpha 2 is on the shortlist of SNES games that have noticeable load times. It's not on the level of a CD game, but it is a few seconds worth, and not at the greatest of times either. The game pauses for a few seconds after "Fight!" has appeared on the screen, meaning you've got to start moving as soon as the pause is over, without knowing precisely when that will be.

SimCity 2000 (SNES)

DOS

Super NES

The original SimCity was a welcome surprise early in the life of the SNES; it was the kind of game rarely seen outside the realm of PCs. When SimCity 2000 hit DOS a couple years later, people naturally wanted to bring the sequel over too. Whether this was a good idea remains a matter for debate.

This is indeed SimCity 2000, with all the same gameplay and features, including the ability to query individual buildings and read the local newspapers. They even added a couple little touches, like seeing rain and snow, and the shadows of clouds passing by on overcast days. It's certainly an accomplishment, but the trade-off is that the game chugs. Loading a map takes 15 to 20 seconds, and from there pretty much anything that involves redrawing the map requires a two-second pause. Re-center the screen, wait two seconds. Go to the map screen, wait two seconds. Leave, wait two seconds. It may not sound like much, but given that the game has only two zoom levels -- the third, farthest out zoom is gone -- you have to move around a lot, and the game's sputtering engine could irritate you after too many hours of play.

That said, the original DOS version was never exactly a hot rod to begin with, especially on lower-end systems. So maybe you can come to terms with the speed. Then all you're left with is the fact that the game is kinda ugly, with pixelated buildings blending into one another and making it harder to pick out individual locations. Like SFA2, it's certainly nothing you would have chosen over the original, but if a Super Nintendo was all you had, you may have been able to bear with its faults (and its occasionally questionable text) and just be happy you were getting a chance to play SimCity 2000 at all.

The one unforgivable sin: No mouse support. Ick.

Source: Error Macro
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Re: Hard To Port

Post by Veggita2099 »

ITs pitiful how bad Double Dragon performs on the Xbox 360. Get 2 enemies on the screen it noticably slows down, get more then 3 and its almost becomes unplayable.

I never knew there was a Double Dragon for the Atari 2600.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I liked Double Dragon best on the NES
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Mortal Kombat 3 Originally on Arcade.

SNES

Not a bad port, had some added features added to it but had to have graphics lowered to run on SNES decently.

Game Boy

Absolutely terrible. Massive slow down all the time. Missing Characters. Pretty much no back ground at all, except for the platform you were standing on. I remember wanting this game terribly game when I was young. When I got it, it was the biggest disappointment. I don't understand, MK 2 for the Game Boy was actually a good fun game in my opinion. It ran a lot smoother and had some secret characters you could fight as well.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

More, more!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

There are countless GB, GBC and GBA games in this vein that should never have been made. All they wanted to do was have a product with a particular name on the label and didn't give a crap about quality.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Roofus wrote:Zaxxon and isometric perspective are inextricably linked. If a person can't remember anything else about the game, they at least remember that. For a while, if someone wasn't familiar with the term "isometric perspective", you could just follow it up with "Y'know, like Zaxxon." It's the element that really made the game stand out in arcades, next to the comparatively flat and simple likes of Burgertime and Dig Dug. Thus it was only natural for the developers to completely remove the single defining aspect of the game for a port to a system that shouldn't be attempting this kind of game anyway.
Zaxxon 3D, Master System
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Not got any screenshots but the Genesis version of Smash TV is absolutely awful.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

If there was a game on both SNES and Genesis, it was almost always better on the SNES due to it's better graphics and sound support, check out Mortal Kombat and Zombies Ate My Neighbors to name a few.

Another weird case was Doom. The SNES version does look like crap, but the sound quality is great. Doom 32X looks a lot better, but the sound is piss poor and it's missing some levels. What the hell happened?
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Dew wrote:If there was a game on both SNES and Genesis, it was almost always better on the SNES due to it's better graphics and sound support, check out Mortal Kombat and Zombies Ate My Neighbors to name a few.
On the same token, though, anything that came out for the Genesis and the original NES always looked like crap on the NES, including Double Dragon (the Genesis version looked almost identical to the arcade version).
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Dew wrote:If there was a game on both SNES and Genesis, it was almost always better on the SNES due to it's better graphics and sound support, check out Mortal Kombat and Zombies Ate My Neighbors to name a few.
It's worth noting, though, that sometimes the Genesis versions had better / more faithful gameplay. The main example that springs to mind is Captain America and the Avengers (which can't rightly be blamed on SNES considering that similarly intensive ports were done much better by Konami and Capcom).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

curt_grymala wrote: On the same token, though, anything that came out for the Genesis and the original NES always looked like crap on the NES, including Double Dragon (the Genesis version looked almost identical to the arcade version).
Of course they looked like crap on NES. Genesis was 16bit, NES was 8bit. What's Sega's excuse as to why it can't even compare to the SNES too well?
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Dew wrote:
curt_grymala wrote: On the same token, though, anything that came out for the Genesis and the original NES always looked like crap on the NES, including Double Dragon (the Genesis version looked almost identical to the arcade version).
Of course they looked like crap on NES. Genesis was 16bit, NES was 8bit. What's Sega's excuse as to why it can't even compare to the SNES too well?
Maybe he meant Master System??.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Altered Beast

arcade version

genesis version

famicom

pc engine

Amiga

atari ST

PC (added)

i remember the first time playing this game i was so excited thinking this its exactly as the arcade.....

never played the pc engine, amiga or the atari one.......

i have played the famicom one in emulator and its a sin......
Last edited by Yonke on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

BoneyCork wrote:Not got any screenshots but the Genesis version of Smash TV is absolutely awful.
remember the NES version? What was cool was that you could play the one player game with two controllers, getting that arcade feeling. Of course the SNES didn't need to do this because of the great ABXY layout. Fun game. That and maximum carnage.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Yonke wrote:Altered Beast
The Amiga/Atari port of that looks pretty terrible. There is a similarly bad port of Strider which I suppose was probably done by the same team. In both cases it looks very much like the graphics from the SMS version were used and the screen layout and engine designed to be portable to as many systems as possible including Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum. By the way, most of those shots have referer checking and don't show up in your post; I had to copy/paste the URLs.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Yonke wrote:Altered Beast
famicom
Master System

Now this is more like a fair comparison, since these systems were "rivals" back then. And althought some developers pushed the NES to do awesome stuff (Recca, Gun Nac, Silius, Ninja Gaiden), the SMS was the better hardware.

Remember Streets of Rage?

Mega Drive / Genesis

Master System

Pretty close, huh? Looks better than any NES beat 'em up I've ever seen.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Stormwatch wrote:Now this is more like a fair comparison, since these systems were "rivals" back then. And althought some developers pushed the NES to do awesome stuff (Recca, Gun Nac, Silius, Ninja Gaiden), the SMS was the better hardware.
I don't know a whole lot about the SMS because I've never even seen one or played one outside of emulation (as no one in the US owned one); but from my experience I had always assumed that this wasn't even a question: the SMS always looked better to me.
It's thinking...
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

zero wrote:
Dew wrote:
Maybe he meant Master System??.
No, I meant the Genesis/Megadrive. I realize that the Genesis was 16-bit, as compared to the NES' 8-bit technology. However, you also have to realize that the Genesis was released almost smack-dab in between the NES and the SNES, making it just as much a competitor of the NES as it was the SNES.

I suppose you're going to tell me that it's not fair to compare the GameGear against the GameBoy, too? They were only released one year apart from each other, but the GameGear would blow the GameBoy out of the water in any comparison.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

curt_grymala wrote:the GameGear would blow the GameBoy out of the water in any comparison.

What about battery life? :lol:
It's thinking...