BIOSHOCK! Demo Up, GO GO GO!

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: BIOSHOCK! Demo Up, GO GO GO!

Post by MulletMan13 »

The backlighting looks good.

Mel, I agree with you, however I do use rope lights in order to give ambience lighting during a movie or something so things are not completely dark.

GameStop here opened at midnight, unfortunately I was out with my girlfriend... but she let me drop by and snag it :)

Still haven't touched the game yet, but since the PJ is arriving on Thursday I guess I'll be forced to start playing it on my 37" HDTV =\

[/SuperMegatron]
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

MulletMan13 wrote: Still haven't touched the game yet, but since the PJ is arriving on Thursday I guess I'll be forced to start playing it on my 37" HDTV =\
[/SuperMegatron]
You poor soul you. :D

But from what I have read online and discovered is that the backlighting or "Bias" lighting is used to increase the black levels and contrast. They say it is easier on the eyes as well. I just like the look and I hate being in complete dark, because I usually have a drink near my computer and I am scared I would knock it over, but I think it does make it easier on the eyes.
Also, read up on this thread, people all say it makes a difference, and there are different things you can get as well.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=451527
I also have experimented with backlighting on my plasma as well as my rptv. The results have been very satisfactory. I am using a 2 socket black desk lamp about 15" tall. I use 2- 60 watt Phillips daylight bulbs. I have the lamp connected to a dimmer. I feel that there is less eyestrain and better contrast on both tv's but especially the plasma. Total cost for one setup was about $22. A very nice "tweak."
The thread is 22 pages, but trust me, all of them say it is worth it.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Currently downloading the PC Demo.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Cracked it open and jesus christ... I'm very involved in the entire story, atmosphere and game. The plasmids are wonderful, and the first real mission is super creepy -- the Eternal Flame was awesome to go through.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Let us know how it goes.

I would love to get it a circuit city for the $10 off, but there doesn't seem to be a way to check store inventory. With Best Buy, it tells me which stores have something (though I know that is no guarantee). Circuit City is a pain to get to for me.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Anybody else playing it on PC or is everybody Xboxing it?
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Nico0020 wrote:well crap, I didn't realize that Bioshock came out tomorrow. I should have gone earlier to get the preorder for the LE. Was gamestop the only place carrying this version of the game as I really wanted the LE? a;lkjdf;lakjfd;akjf;aj;fdaskjf;a Anyone else know where I can get the LE from?
People are already selling there copies but at around $100. Hell I got the bioshock face plate and even thats worth like $150. I imagine this games gonna be a nice little return in cash very quickly.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Just started playing tonight, and holy crap, so far this looks like it could be the next Half-Life 2. The atmosphere is worth the price alone. It's eerie, but not over-the-top to make it a horror game. It's intense, but well paced. And the enemies themselves have more personality than the main characters in many games. Plus the physics, traps, and environments make for some of the best kills ever in a game.

For instance, let me outline what had to be the funniest way for a person to die. I walk into a reception room. The room is devoid of life, but there are two turret guns sitting out ready to wipe out any intruders. I destroy the one with a bolt of lightning and my wrench, but decided to hack the second one so that it would attack enemies instead of me. After taking a few bullets and finish hacking the turret gun, I find a health station in the corner. It costs money to heal, but I find out I can rig the station so that instead of offering health, it gases anyone that tries to use it. I take what health I need then set up a health trap out of interest to see what would happen. I move on. As I come up onto a hallway, I hear a splicer and his wife arguing in a side room. She complains that she wants a child, but the husband complains about paying for another mouth to feed. The wife turns on the husband and I hear gunshots. Suddenly, the husband busts out of a door screaming at his wife not to kill him. The guy freaks out and runs around the corner into the room with the turret gun. He gets pelted with a few rounds, tries to escape the gunfire by going back into the hall only to get pelted by his wife again, then finally runs back into the turret room covering his head and screaming for everyone to stop hurting him. As he approaches me, I give him a good whack with my crowbar. He hits the wall, ducks another one of my blows and uses what life he has left to activate the health station...only to get a blast of toxic gas to the face. As he falls to the ground, he reaches to the sky, whispers, "...why?" and dies. Poor guy... :lol:
Calavera wrote:Anybody else playing it on PC or is everybody Xboxing it?
PC. I cannot play this game properly with a controller.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I've got the demo for PC and 360. Due to my system not being the greatest (3600+ 1GB RAM 512MB 7600GS) it runs smoother on 360. I definitely want this game and will most likely get a hold of it by the weekend.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

PC here. Just finished the demo. It ran OK on my system (Athlon 64 x2 4600+, GeForce 7900GS) but having everything turned on and set to maximum as the default strikes me as a bad idea for a PC game.

Then again, I didn't bother updating the graphics card drivers. Both nVidia and ATI released new drivers yesterday, specifically to fix issues related to Bioshock. Sounds like it hits some pathalogical slow path through the existing drivers. id used to do that all the time...

I'll update the drivers later, and see if it works better.

Edit: It helped a bit - it's quite a bit smoother now, although not really any faster. None of the graphics options seem to do anything on my system.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I'm awful at FPS on PCs... plus I love relaxing and looking at a big screen.

Nevertheless, did anybody nearly shit their pants in the Dentists Office after getting the Engineering (maybe it was combat) plasmid?

The atmosphere they smack you with right away (morgue, funeral home, surgery center and dentist office) is amazing. It is so creepy and even if things ended right after this I'd still feel happy about the game =)
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I must have missed some stuff in the demo. :?
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Calavera wrote:I must have missed some stuff in the demo. :?
He's talking about full game. Demo ends right at the Doctors Ward.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

Played the 360 demo it was really good, but i ended up downloading the pc demo just because i wanted to see how it ran, and i was able to run it in full 1440x900 w/ all the settings turned up and never saw it slow down at all (core 2 6300, 2gb ram, 256 X1950 Pro). I'm very impressed with how well this game handles itself on a pc. Gives me hope for running unreal 2k7 on my pc!
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Been hearing the PC version is having a lot of problems with activation.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Calavera wrote:Been hearing the PC version is having a lot of problems with activation.
I have only heard that at the moment you can not activate it more then twice.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote:Been hearing the PC version is having a lot of problems with activation.
Yeah, I did have a problem with activation the first time. I think the server was just busy or something because it kept giving me a generic 'product not activated' error. I walked away, got something out of the kitchen, and when I came back and hit the activate button again it went through just fine.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote:
Yeah, I did have a problem with activation the first time. I think the server was just busy or something because it kept giving me a generic 'product not activated' error. I walked away, got something out of the kitchen, and when I came back and hit the activate button again it went through just fine.
You know you can only activate it 5 time, right?
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Calavera wrote:
melancholy wrote:
The activation thing the developers of Bioshock said is only temporary at the launch so people are stirred away from piracy. Eventually it will be gone all together.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

stagg wrote:
Calavera wrote:
melancholy wrote:
The activation thing the developers of Bioshock said is only temporary at the launch so people are stirred away from piracy. Eventually it will be gone all together.
I guess thats what these people are hoping for.

Peers: 2425 seeders, 22699 leechers, 25124 total