Holy Crap, Sony Gets Their Game Together

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Holy Crap, Sony Gets Their Game Together

Post by zero »

BoneyCork wrote:It was your standard mid-generation E3. Hype of new console launches over, and no shocking announcements. The new July date also seems to be turning the event into even more of a "Christmas Products Showcase".

It's no wonder Sony came away leaving the best impressions. They were the only company to show significant unseen footage of games people have been waiting to see, and make brand new game related announcements. I'm sure if MS hadn't stuck to their "everything holiday 07" rule they could've shown off some neat new future games.
The is always other shows for MS to show of some of their future titles :wink: .
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

BoneyCork wrote:
RMD wrote:Whats dumb is people wanting HB on the new psp. Seriously if you want hb stick with the old one. If you want it to use HB on your tv theres about 1000 better ways to do so.
I think it is more the draw of having HB on your PSP and on your TV in one device. I'd love to go play some Final Fantasy on the train while I go to university, then come back home, hook the thing up to my TV and keep on playing in fullscreen. Any other way and I'd have to ass about transferring save games around all the time.
It worked nicely for the Nomad, although the Nomad offered a controller port for a second player so it would have been easier to do both at once.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

They announced they're phasing out the 60GB PS3.
SCEA has subsequently confirmed the phase out, but emphasized that it would be gradual. "The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted," Karraker told GameSpot in a follow-up interview. "We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175011.html

Sony removed the sword they stabbed themself with for about 24 hours. Then they doubled the size of the thing and shoved it back in their gut.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Yeah, just read that now.
They had a great conference, then they go fuck themselves in the ass.
$100 price-drop? More like a stock-clearance discount. :roll:

Plus theres no price-drop for Europe either, instead theyre bundling a couple of games in. Sure, it adds extra value, but it now means you cant buy a PS3 in Europe without also buying those 2 specific games. Crap.

Im not prepared to spend £425, and I don't want either of the 2 games in that bundle, so Sony will have to wait a lot longer, and with the draw of GTA4 and exclusive episodic content on the 360, they might have to wait a lot lot longer for my custom (sadly, FF13 will force me to buy one at some point).
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I read this earlier too, and I am completely shocked. I simply cannot understand Sony's logic on this one. You have millions of potential customers shouting about a lower price, you have the media and analysts constantly bashing the high price, and you have developers dropping like flies because it's too expensive. So Sony turns around and says, "We heard you loud and clear, so we are making the PS3 a better value." Better value? They made it a better value when they decided to offer a free Blu-Ray movie...sales were still slow. Individual stores offered extra controllers, carrying bags, free used games, etc...sales were still slow. Sony then went as far as to offer 5 Blu-Ray movies and an extra controller upon purchase...sales were still slow. They cut $100 off the price...the next day PS3 hits #1 on the Amazon sales chart, topping even the Wii. And yet they intend to raise the price back up and instead offer even more freebies thinking it will raise sales.

And yet, as I read more about how the PS3 is failing, I also read more about how the slim PSP is going to rock, including a tidbit I read today where the new PSP will charge through the USB port (no more special modified USB cords just to charge my PSP, every chargeable electronic component in my house will now use the same USB port :mrgreen: ).
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Am i the only one that thinks sony is just doing this just to get people to buy them before the price goes back up...
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

The ps3 is at this price as long as supplies last, I wonder how many ps3s there are.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Yeah, never mind.

They certainly seem to be handling the PSP a lot better than they have been, but they really set up an opportunity with the PS3 and then wasted is. Their approach with that console makes absolutely *no* sense to me.

Maybe they're getting their strategic advice from the same folks George Bush is using for Iraq.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

A PS3 is still way over-priced, and their still isn't enough inspiring software on the system to intrigue me in making that kind of a purchase. Granted, I still have not decided on whether to go for a blue-ray or HD-DVD player as DVDs still get the job done for me. However, I am still waiting on buying a high-def tv before I even pick up a next-gen system. If I were to buy a next gen system, I would pick up a 360. The software library is solid, and they actually have some love from Japan unlike on the original box. However, I think I will hold off on a 360 until they have switched to the new smaller chip set...don't care to have a red ring of death that costs me $400. I figure right now is a good time to pick up all of the previous gen games on the cheap and enjoy those until it is worth getting a next gen system. As for the Wii...I don't see 5 games on the system that call to my attention. As such, it may be the last of the 3 systems I buy unless Nintendo shapes up (for instance, they have had Fire Emblem out in Japan now for a while....I saw it when I was there...but the big N didn't say a thing at E3 about this game coming out...stupid Nintendo).
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Sony has impressed me with quite a lot of things lately. The PS3 looks like it has more potential to me than the 360, simply because of the upcoming games. Although the 360 looks promising as well seeing how it's getting some unique titles as well. Still, some of my gaming buddies either have or will buy a PS3 in the future, and I expect it to be a better investment in the long run. Right now with Sony's price policy, and Microsoft's systems self destructing en masse, I won't be buying any next gen console anytime soon. The Wii got old when it was released, I know hope we'll get some decent games because right now it doesn't interest me at all.

So it looks like I'll be sticking with my PSP for a while, which I have bought a month ago. I wanted to get myself an old one mainly for homebrew. I bought it a couple of days before the Lumines exploit was found, and I had Lumines even before I found a PSP. Back then there wasn't a single PSP to be found in the entire country, every webshop and real game store either had a few Pink ones left, or none at all. They said they were waiting for a new batch to arrive, but I've also heard rumours about Sony simply not shipping the old model, so this was just a way for them to clear the stocks.

Either way, the system already gave me so much fun. It's got a couple of brilliant puzzlers and There's three RPG releases I'm highly anticipating. I'm pretty confident a lot of cool games will be released on the PSP as well, with less of the console wannabe stuff like there has been in the past. Meanwhile, nothing beats using the PSP for the same reason why I originally bought my DC: emulation :D
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog