Panzer Dragoon nostalgia...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Panzer Dragoon nostalgia...

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...I only had a Saturn for a couple of years. I ended up giving it away to someone as a graduation gift, because most of the really great games for it were too expensive or hard to find. However, this is one of the few really good ones I *did* have.

Man, Sega really knew how to make 3D shooters. Space Harrier, Panzer Dragoon, Rez...the only non-Sega game in the genre I even liked *half* as much was the original Star Fox.

Anyway, it was just announced that the Panzer Dragoon games are coming to Gametap, and they will be the Saturn versions. Hopefully this means Saturn emulation is at least being considered for "other" platforms, too ;).

In honor of that, here's a video of the PC port of PD1 being played with the Wii controller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p5Jfj7obg4
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Didnt the panzer dragoon game for xbox have the originals as unlockables? or am i crazy as i dont remember too much about the game. I am dieing for a decent saturn emulator to come out though, ive got some games, just no hardware. I picked up a near mint copy of Nights for 5 bucks at a gamecrazy.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Nico0020 wrote:Didnt the panzer dragoon game for xbox have the originals as unlockables? or am i crazy as i dont remember too much about the game. I am dieing for a decent saturn emulator to come out though, ive got some games, just no hardware. I picked up a near mint copy of Nights for 5 bucks at a gamecrazy.
You can get a Saturn for under $50 on eBay, or for $55 from eStarland.

Satourne and SSF are the best two (legal) Saturn emulators, and should run a fair number of games. However, Gametap is going to start offering Saturn games as part of their lineup, and they will actually be Saturn games rather than PC ports. They will be running through a proprietary Saturn emulator built into the service.
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 »

SSF Ftw.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

First time I played panzer dragon was about two years ago when I first bought a used saturn from a guy locally. I never bothered with the saturn when it first came out, for some reason, and that is truly sad because I mossed out on a lot of great titles.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

DaMadFiddler wrote: You can get a Saturn for under $50 on eBay, or for $55 from eStarland.
saturns cost that much?! not only is that more than double the dreamcast, the store i bought my dreamcast from used to sell saturns for $15 until they ran out and stopped stocking saturn stuff. i never had a saturn either but there are some games i would like to play but i dont have money to buy a saturn and all the great games are rare and expensive.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I think Panzer Dragoon orta had the original Panzer dragoon but not the 2nd. I didn't care for the first one all that much but I enjoyed the 2nd one. That is really good though from a person who generally hates shooters though. I used to have Orta but I never did unlock the originals.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Veggita2099 wrote:I think Panzer Dragoon orta had the original Panzer dragoon but not the 2nd. I didn't care for the first one all that much but I enjoyed the 2nd one. That is really good though from a person who generally hates shooters though. I used to have Orta but I never did unlock the originals.
It was the second Panzer game and Nights that made me pick a saturn over the PS1 a long time ago. By the time Panzer Dragoon Saga came out, my Saturn was long done. Only the first one is unlockable on Orta; I think there are unlockable FMV for the second game, but I haven't played Orta enough to unlock them. I wish there was XBox360 BC for Orta. Saga could use a remake. So many people never had a chance to play it, and I hear it is pretty good.

$50 for a used Saturn seems over priced to me. A used video game store near where I live sells them for $30-$40 when they have them. I've been tempted to pick one up from time to time. However, an issue with classic cosoles is once you have them, then you need a memory card (those were kind of expensive for the Saturn) then more "stuff" to make it complete. You have to have the 3D controller. Of course, you have to track down the AV cables (used ones with RF cables seem to be more common). Trying to track down the games I used to have would mean a second mortgage. Once I have all of that, now I yet have another pile of used video game stuff that will probably never get played since I won't have time. The pile will irritate me, and I'll just end up selling the whole lot. I think DaMadFiddler mentioned in another thread that it is not all that healthy to have each and every console, and I would have to agree with him (apolgies to DaMadFiddler if I am misquoting him or it is out of context).
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:Didnt the panzer dragoon game for xbox have the originals as unlockables? or am i crazy as i dont remember too much about the game. I am dieing for a decent saturn emulator to come out though, ive got some games, just no hardware. I picked up a near mint copy of Nights for 5 bucks at a gamecrazy.
You can get a Saturn for under $50 on eBay, or for $55 from eStarland.

Satourne and SSF are the best two (legal) Saturn emulators, and should run a fair number of games. However, Gametap is going to start offering Saturn games as part of their lineup, and they will actually be Saturn games rather than PC ports. They will be running through a proprietary Saturn emulator built into the service.
It already is, only Bug! atm, they have announced Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei are coming though.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I love my Saturn. I've had one since it was released. Panzer Dragoon on PC sounds pretty interesting. If ever a game needed higher resolutions...PD would be it. It's fun, but damn...was it ugly.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I found my Saturn sitting in a thrift store for eight bucks, with one controller and a cracked but functional copy of Sonic R sitting in the disc drive. I took it home, and held onto it for just under three years before giving up on trying to find most of the really worthwhile games.

Ones I *did* have and enjoy were Clockwork Knight, Croc, Dark Saviour, Gex, NiGHTS, Sonic 3D Blast, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, and Virtua Fighter 2. I had some other games, but nothing noteworthy...or even worthwhile, really. Decent Saturn games are a bitch to find, especially when you're on a college student's budget.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Veggita2099 wrote:I think Panzer Dragoon orta had the original Panzer dragoon but not the 2nd. I didn't care for the first one all that much but I enjoyed the 2nd one. That is really good though from a person who generally hates shooters though. I used to have Orta but I never did unlock the originals.
Yup. AFAIK, Orta had the first p.d. I never unlocked it though; doing so required playing the game for about 2o hours or so.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I sold my Saturn and 10-15 games for $66, $30 shipping.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

dam i wouldve bought that if i had $100 layin around.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Smiley wrote:
Yup. AFAIK, Orta had the first p.d. I never unlocked it though; doing so required playing the game for about 2o hours or so.
The original game would unlock if you finished the game on any difficulty. Also, if you played the game for 20 hours, everything would unlock. Orta had some nice extras.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I found my Saturn sitting in a thrift store for eight bucks, with one controller and a cracked but functional copy of Sonic R sitting in the disc drive.
If you ever find anymore that cheap you need to ship one out to me. 8-)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Calavera wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:I found my Saturn sitting in a thrift store for eight bucks, with one controller and a cracked but functional copy of Sonic R sitting in the disc drive.
If you ever find anymore that cheap you need to ship one out to me. 8-)
That was five years ago...they usually get in Genesises (Genises?), Playstations, and an occasional NES or Dreamcast. The Saturn was a fluke find, and since I'd had a friend in high school who would just go on and ON about the Saturn, I decided to give it a try.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

A Panzer Dragoon Collection for Wii would be a nice thing...
Insane homebrew collector.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Christuserloeser wrote:A Panzer Dragoon Collection for Wii would be a nice thing...
...But there were only three, unless you count Saga. And I'm sure if they were going to up-port Saga, they would make a big deal about it and give it its own, separate release.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Vlad Tepes wrote:
Smiley wrote:
The original game would unlock if you finished the game on any difficulty. Also, if you played the game for 20 hours, everything would unlock. Orta had some nice extras.
I beat the game on easy and it didn't unlock it for me.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665