I don't see how anyone can enjoy the old 2D GTAs

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

I don't see how anyone can enjoy the old 2D GTAs

Post by Calavera »

What is their appeal? I just don't get it.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Well there weren't any games like it when they first came out. That was their main appeal. It is easy to find fun in something when you haven't got anything better to compare them with.

These days though, that top-down view was pretty awful, and made the game a lot harder than it shouldve been because you couldn't see far enough infront of you. Still, the PC/PS1 games are far better than the horrific GBC port.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrandyk »

i played the gba one and it was fun for a few minutes until the cops caught me. the missions arent fun though.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

The GBA one isn't so bad. But the GBC one has to be played to be believed. One of the poorest ports ever.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

GTA 2 is quite nice, but the control layout in the DC version is horrible.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I was never a fan of the gta franchise, especially the 2d ones. For the first few times when I first played gta and then vice city, it was mildly amusing, but now I'm rather bored with the frachise. I'm convinced, were it not for the violence and all the publicity the game has gotten (hot coffee) it wouldn't have done so well.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Smiley wrote:I was never a fan of the gta franchise, especially the 2d ones. For the first few times when I first played gta and then vice city, it was mildly amusing, but now I'm rather bored with the frachise. I'm convinced, were it not for the violence and all the publicity the game has gotten (hot coffee) it wouldn't have done so well.
Yes, I'm pretty sure a GTA game without the violence (equivalent to controlling a man walking around the block) would be very boring indeed. :roll:
It's thinking...
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

|darc| wrote:
Smiley wrote:I was never a fan of the gta franchise, especially the 2d ones. For the first few times when I first played gta and then vice city, it was mildly amusing, but now I'm rather bored with the frachise. I'm convinced, were it not for the violence and all the publicity the game has gotten (hot coffee) it wouldn't have done so well.
Yes, I'm pretty sure a GTA game without the violence (equivalent to controlling a man walking around the block) would be very boring indeed. :roll:
yes, they would be.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Me and my old roommate used to deathmatch each other in the original GTA all the time. It was great fun, though I doubt we could go back and have that much fun with the game again.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Smiley wrote:I'm convinced, were it not for the violence and all the publicity the game has gotten (hot coffee) it wouldn't have done so well.
So you're saying the franchise's success is mainly down to:

1) The core gameplay
and
2) Publicity?

:jawdrop:

Is your real name Sherlock Holmes? I am simply amazed by the sheer excellence of your deductive abilities!
Last edited by Specially Cork on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I used to play the first GTA for hours with my friends. We used to just do as many missions are required to open all the towns, then we'd see who could go on a killing spree the longest. With the first game it was not that hard to avoid cops for a long time, all you had to do was hide on a bridge and they would not climb it unless you got close to the edge. The first GTA was pretty glitchy as well, I remember we found a glitch were you could drive a car but at the same time your guy would be out walking around. Only problem with that is the guy would move with the d-pad controlling the car and the camera would follow the car, so if the guy got ran over you died. Looking back now the game was nothing too impressive, but it was a lot of fun for the era it come out in.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Re: I don't see how anyone can enjoy the old 2D GTAs

Post by Veggita2099 »

Calavera wrote:What is their appeal? I just don't get it.
The first two would have been good if they had better save support. However yea they really wasn't anywhere near as good as the newer ones.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

gta 3 and vice city arent fun at all after you play san andreas though. my favorite part of san andreas is the country roads and mountains and stuff, and the two player mode.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

BoneyCork wrote:
Smiley wrote:I'm convinced, were it not for the violence and all the publicity the game has gotten (hot coffee) it wouldn't have done so well.
So you're saying the franchise's success is mainly down to:

1) The core gameplay
and
2) Publicity?

:jawdrop:

Is your real name Sherlock Holmes? I am simply amazed by the sheer excellence of your deductive abilities!
Spot on. Fucking kudos.
Veggita2099 wrote:
Calavera wrote:What is their appeal? I just don't get it.
The first two would have been good if they had better save support. However yea they really wasn't anywhere near as good as the newer ones.
Yeah, the ability to save only after completing all the missions in GTA sucked, and having to pay $50,000 of your hard earned game dollars in GTA II sucked just as badly.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

mrandyk wrote:gta 3 and vice city arent fun at all after you play san andreas though.
And San Andreas isn't fun at all when you've played one of the thousands of GTA clones to come out in the past couple years. GTAIII was fun when it came out, but there's nothing special about the formula anymore, it's just boring.

I'm not taking it out on Rockstar, the GTA games are excellent and unmatched by any of the clones, but I've lost interest.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I liked GTA 1 and 2 a lot more than the third. Dunno.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Meh, I still enjoy the 2D games. In fact, I redownloaded GTA and GTA2 from Rockstar's website just the other week. I can still have fun with them, multiplayer mainly.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Freaky Keneaki wrote:
mrandyk wrote:gta 3 and vice city arent fun at all after you play san andreas though.
And San Andreas isn't fun at all when you've played one of the thousands of GTA clones to come out in the past couple years. GTAIII was fun when it came out, but there's nothing special about the formula anymore, it's just boring.

I'm not taking it out on Rockstar, the GTA games are excellent and unmatched by any of the clones, but I've lost interest.
True, GTA 3 blew me away when it came out, I was addicted and played for hours upon hours, but now it's pretty dull.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

I have to agree about the formula. The last gta I truly enjoyed was Vice City. I mean San Andreas was cool and had lots of nice features but I guess I'm more of a fan of the Scarface feel and the 80's themes.

The gta formula has been copied many times by games like True Crime, Godfather and Scarface. I thought True Crime would have been pretty cool if it wasn't so goddamn buggy. I got to say though I enjoyed Scarface and Godfather, the missions on them are just so much more fun and they don't feel so linear and frustrating, yet they still remain a challenge.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I've been meaning to play Scarface, is it pretty decent?