Best Ten Games of the Last Generation

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Close enough, Veggita. DS & PSP are really more the current generation...but since you didn't cite any games from them anyway, I'm not going to worry about it. I actually listed SPECIFICALLY which systems counted in the very first post :-P

As a reminder: Best ten games of the PREVIOUS console generation. That's the systems that debuted somewhere around the 2000 mark, and are currently on their way out. Viable candidates are:
- Xbox
- GameCube
- PS2
- Dreamcast
- GBA
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

melancholy wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
melancholy wrote:
popley wrote:half life 2 - xbox/pc
Half-Life 2 would definitely fall on my list if we could include PC games, as that is the best FPS I have ever played. I have played many of FPS in my time and generally dislike the genre altogether. But Half-Life 2 is in a class of it's own, and currently stands as one of only two FPS I have ever beaten (the first one being Doom 64).
There was an Xbox port of Half-Life 2, though, so you can still include it ;)
No, because the Xbox version requires the use of a controller for a FPS, which automatically classifies it as a failure. And beyond that, I'm going by games I have played, and I have not played the Xbox version of HL2.
I played through HL2 on PC and Xbox, and I thought the Xbox version was an excellent port that produced an experience very close to the PC. Also, since HL2 is a DX9 game, I think you could consider it a "last gen" PC game. Having said that, here's my list...

Half-Life 2
God of War
SSX 3
Virtua Fighter 4
Ikaruga
Contra Shattered Soldier
Rez
F-Zero GX
Ninja Gaiden
Resident Evil 4

Edit: If GBA games are eligible, I want to add Castlevania Aria of Sorrow to my list.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Eternal Darkness
both Pikmin games
Resident Evil 4
god of war
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

hmm, no pc games eh? well here goes, in no particular order:

- ikaruga
- soul calibur (SC2 on xbox too)
- Timesplitters: Future Perfect
- Rainbow Six 3
- Fable TLC (i played the TLC bit on pc, but still)
- Jade Empire
- Super smash bros melee
- Roque Squadron 2 Roque Leader
- Metroid Prime
- Golden Sun (GBA)

honestly though, i cant really choose, stuff like jade empire is just GREAT, but sometimes i just really enjoy the fuck out of a game of mech wars, or burnout 3
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Yeah...I had several games that very nearly made the cut, and are great games in their own right. San Andreas was a great game, and finally cleaned up the visual and mechanical sloppiness of the GTA series into something deeper and more refined. Aria of Sorrow was a realization of what portable Castlevania could be. KotOR was a hard one to cut out, as were Headhunter, MGS3, Viewtiful Joe, Marvel vs Capcom 2 (my all-time favorite "traditional" fighting game), Soul Calibur, and several GBA gems such as Golden Sun, Metroid: Zero Mission, Metal Slug Advance, Gunstar Super Heroes, Iridion II, and Sigma Star Saga.

I also had a large number of personal favorites that I left out, simply because I felt that the games I listed were just a little better or more original: Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was an awesome dungeon-crawler, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy was grossly underrated, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus were both beautiful efforts, Escape from Monkey Island deserves mention simply because it's a Monkey Island game and those are *never* bad, Morrowind was pretty incredible (if a bit buggy), Grandia II was an awesome jRPG, the Timesplitters games were great (and this from someone who doesn't even like FPS overall), I've had tons of fun with Crazy Taxi even if it is a bit shallow, and...yeah.

I still stand by my original list, though.

Like I said, this was really an incredible generation for console games. There was a ton of knock-off garbage, but there was also an abundance of great titles, creative endeavours, and experimental new genres. It really fulfilled the previously empty promise of 3D gaming.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Hate to voice my opinion, but I do not believe the GBA is a last-gen console - it is a handheld - not trying to be a fiend... just pointing that out.

- Fuzmeister
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

I thought all games of last year were terrible
POOPOO
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

CheapAlert wrote:I thought all games of last year were terrible
Last generation, guy. Not last year ;)
S. Thompson wrote:I do not believe the GBA is a last-gen console - it is a handheld
It's part of the last generation of dedicated gaming hardware. It's imprecise to draw exact generational lines, since the Dreamcast had a lot of crossover with the 32/64 bit era, the PS2 is still going, and the DS and PSP were released a year or two before the new wave of consoles...but more or less, these things come in waves.

The last wave, as closely as it can be drawn, was (in chronological order of release) Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, GameCube, and Xbox. These were the major dedicated, closed game platforms covering the rough spread from 2000 through 2005. They are all dying or dead platforms now...GBA has been relegated to bargain bin kiddie games in the the DS' shadow, Dreamcast is long dead, Xbox was abandoned by Microsoft roughly a year ago, Twilight Princess was GameCube's last big outing, and the PS2 will likely see its last major release with God of War 2.

Since they have all essentially run their course, we have a more or less complete vision of their lineups. For the purposes of this question

That generation has been / is being replaced by nothing, PS3, DS, Wii, Xbox 360, and with a newcomer in the form of PSP.

Does that make sense? I really didn't think it was that arbitrary.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I'm ignoring portables because this is already too hard.

10. Typing Of The Dead/HOTD2
9. Red Dead Revolver
8. Klonoa 2
7. Metroid Prime
6. Sonic Adventure
5. Castlevania: Lament Of Innocence
4. Katamari Damacy
3. Doom 3
2. Burnout 3
1. Resident Evil 4

Wind Waker is shamefully absent from this list. Such a beautiful game, but I got sick of the frickin sailing. I imagine Gun, Beyond Good & Evil, Metroid Prime 2, the Onimusha series, and some others would take spots on this list once I sit down with them some more.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'm really surprised that people are listing Sonic Adventure. That game reeked of misdirection and blown opportunity to me. The Sonic stages were fun but glitchy, and the rest of the game was just clunky and entirely out of place for a Sonic title.

There were so many other innovative titles, safe fun titles, and more successful reinventions of classic franchises (see: Metroid, Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden, etc.) that I just don't understand how Sonic Adventure could even be a consideration. And besides that, the GBA Sonic games absolutely trounced the console ones.

Maybe someone who listed Sonic Adventure could explain the choice to me? I really don't get it.