Sixaxis scores an Emmy for Sony

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Komid »

SinisterTengu wrote:Sony must have paid them off or something...nobody I've even showed my PS3 to knew it had motion sensing until I told them they had to shake it in Resistance when they were set on fire. Everybody knows the Wii does it, and it does it better with its added visual sensors. The PS3s senses movement, but I don't think you can aim with it..

Anyways, I think its lame how you all talk about Wii shipments in EVERY PS3 thread. Seriously guys...I think every member of DCEmulation realizes the Wii is much more in demand than the PS3. Nobody has even argued that once. So STFU!
"Anyways, I think its lame how you all talk about Wii shipments in EVERY PS3 thread. Seriously guys...I think every member of DCEmulation realizes the Wii is much more in demand than the PS3. Nobody has even argued that once. So STFU!"

Well you could post your phone # on the forums so that we can call you when anyone gives a shit about what you think.
:wink:
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Ex-Cyber wrote:SPEs aren't on the system bus. The various elements of Cell are connected on the so-called Element Interconnect Bus (which arguably behaves more like a series of point-to-point links with tunneling rather than a true bus). The arrangement is optimized for bandwidth and allows for each element to be transferring to its neighbors simultaneously so long as only one transfer occupies a link at any given time. I wouldn't be surprised if some system has done something vaguely similar in the past (maybe it's somewhat comparable to a 4/8-way Opteron system), but it's far from the standard way of doing things.
well to elaborate, the system im working with also has the DSPs (and all I/O controllers) integrated into the same die/IC, what i called the main system bus isnt really that, since it doesnt exit the main IC at all

on a purely architectural level cell could be compared with AMDs upcomming expansion technology (i think its called torenza, but that could also be intels counter) of being able to slot coprocs into a multi socket opteron board to augment the opterons with specific hardware, but the entire layout between chips quickly ends that comparison

my point is, Cell is hardly worth an award for inovation, sure its a very nice chip (although misplaced in a game console) but in terms of architecture i feel something like intels Core 2 Duo would be far more deserving (excellent design), or perhaps nvidias G80
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Another black mark on Sony's diminishing image.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Wow, I now desperately want to know what Sony's thought process with this was. This is so screwed up that nothing about it seems logical.

I mean, it would seem impossible for Sony to misinterpret the award. But if they didn't misinterpret the award, that would mean that they related the SIXAXIS to the Dual Shock controller. But if that was true, then they would essentially be destroying their entire campaign on why the SIXAXIS is different, and therefore be conceding to the fact that the controller is not innovative. But of course, then it would make no sense why they won an award.

The only other option was that Sony purposely lied, despite knowing that they would get caught, and then cover-up by saying that it was a misinterpretation. Which takes us back to the beginning; how could they misinterpret such a thing?

Or perhaps I'm just looking too deep into the matter...
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

add two more shoulders and a couple grip sticks to the SNES controller.

sony's lack of innovation ain't new. though to be fair, the playstation was originally developed with nintendo.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

melancholy wrote: I mean, it would seem impossible for Sony to misinterpret the award.
I dunno... it seems possible they just got a "Congratulations! You are the winner of an EMMY for your superb controller design!" message, and assumed it was for their most recent product (the sixaxis) rather than a 10 year old piece of hardware, thats only just gotten any acknowledgement doesn't it?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
melancholy wrote: I mean, it would seem impossible for Sony to misinterpret the award.
I dunno... it seems possible they just got a "Congratulations! You are the winner of an EMMY for your superb controller design!" message, and assumed it was for their most recent product (the sixaxis) rather than a 10 year old piece of hardware, thats only just gotten any acknowledgement doesn't it?
Why didn't they read it? That probably would have been a good idea. I'm sure the PR people meticulously construct each press release; the least they could do is read the message.
It's thinking...
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Juan wrote:Good publicity.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/754/754319p1.html
UK, January 10, 2007 - Remember that time when Michael Jackson accepted an award by mistake? He thought it was a life-time achievement prize or something. It was embarrassing for everyone involved. So embarrassing in fact, that women of a nervous disposition fainted clean away.

Unfortunately, it looks like Sony may have made a similar boo-boo regarding a Technology and Entertainment Emmy. Last week the company released a press release proudly claiming the PS3's SIXAXIS controller had been awarded the prestigious commendation by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) during the Consumer Electronics Show.

However NATAS has now disputed the claim, saying the award was actually for the PS2's Dual Shock instead. "Sony won for their Dual Shock analog controller," a representative explained to Séamus Byrne's Hydrapinion blog. "The award is from the Video Game Technology Group. It was nominated by our internal group and considered along with the Nintendo D-Pad both of which were considered Emmy worthy for the development of the generation of controllers that followed the classic joysticks. I would like to confirm that Sony did not win for their PS3 controller, they won for their Dual Shock Analog controller."

Although we contacted Sony Computer Entertainment Europe to see how red everyone's faces were, no one was able to comment. Never fear though: we'll keep you updated on any response while you start taking bets on whether someone will get fired for the mistake.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Cyphix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Cyphix »

NATAS spelled backwords is SATAN
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

"The award is from the Video Game Technology Group. It was nominated by our internal group and considered along with the Nintendo D-Pad both of which were considered Emmy worthy for the development of the generation of controllers that followed the classic joysticks. I would like to confirm that Sony did not win for their PS3 controller, they won for their Dual Shock Analog controller."
That's even more stupid.