LucasArts really screws up this time

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

LucasArts really screws up this time

Post by butters » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:01 pm

I just bought Lego Star Wars 2. I pop it in, hit next a couple of times, then an error pops up that a cab file is corrupt. I stick it in the other CD rom drive; same thing. I go to LucasArts forums and tons of people are having the same problem. Seems that LucasArts didn't do very good quality assurance. Of course since today is launch day, it'll be a while until they release an official fix...
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:27 am

i remember when croc came out on the saturn, it would boot with half the graphic/polys missing. In side the case there is a note saying that you have to boot the game via the saturn bios in order for it to work right. And lets not forget MSR....
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:09 am

:o I never had any problems with my copy of Croc....
Last edited by DaMadFiddler on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:24 am

i think it was just the pal version

edit: yeah

http://www.mobygames.com/game/saturn/cr ... bos/trivia
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:07 am

And lets not forget MSR....
As in, on the DC? What happened?

EDIT:
UK First Release Bugs

* After some time of playing, Tokyo races would always be at night.
* Completing Championship challenges without the required number of points would be considered successful nontheless.
* The game would sometimes corrupt VMUs.
* The "Quick Race" screen in the multiplayer mode would be blank.

Shortly after MSR's release, Sega recalled the first batch of games and promptly released a new version without these bugs, although some minor ones remained.

Again because of time constraints, the final UK version of MSR did not include a replay feature, despite the fact that there was a replay viewer and copies sent to magazines for review included the option. In this version you could watch pre-recorded races, but nothing else. The US version, released later, did have a replay feature.

I never knew this. :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:20 am

Eeeeenteresting. There were also some problems with the first print run of HydroThunder for DC. I was unfortunate enough to have one of these discs; the music didn't work, amongst other things.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:37 am

not having the replay in msr sucked, because it would been handy to see where you gained lost points.... + it would look cool
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:12 am

It's awesome, I played last night after work. I'm on Empire.
They really beefed up a lot in these games, they also made it harder to get everything.

BTW, worked fine for me. Popped it into my Gamecube, pressed Power, was ready to play.

And it could be a problem with the CD itself (the CD pressing being messed up), not necessarily a software problem.
No signature.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:19 am

toastman wrote:It's awesome, I played last night after work. I'm on Empire.
They really beefed up a lot in these games, they also made it harder to get everything.

BTW, worked fine for me. Popped it into my Gamecube, pressed Power, was ready to play.

And it could be a problem with the CD itself (the CD pressing being messed up), not necessarily a software problem.
I think hes talking about PC. For consols im sure its fine.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:27 pm

And surely many of us remember taking our Dreamcasts home that first night of release, popping in Sonic Adventure, and being presented with a screen that the disc could not be read. I still have my bad press of Sonic Adventure. It boots only half the time.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:00 pm

i'm guessing that was only with the us release, Sonic Adventure played great for me!
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:54 pm

I had a copy of Crazy Taxi that refused to boot on my Dreamcast. It used to work fine, then one day I decide to play it again and it just goes to the DC main menu. It wasn't scratched or anything, it just decided it didn't want to work anymore, and I had played it the day before and it worked fine. I don't have the game anymore though. After it having the same problem for a year and a half, I tried again, it failed, I got pissed at it not wanting to boot and threw it against the wall and watched it shatter. I downloaded and burned another copy of it and it works great. :D
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm

Freaky Keneaki wrote:I had a copy of Crazy Taxi that refused to boot on my Dreamcast. It used to work fine, then one day I decide to play it again and it just goes to the DC main menu. It wasn't scratched or anything, it just decided it didn't want to work anymore, and I had played it the day before and it worked fine. I don't have the game anymore though. After it having the same problem for a year and a half, I tried again, it failed, I got pissed at it not wanting to boot and threw it against the wall and watched it shatter. I downloaded and burned another copy of it and it works great. :D
Juarez
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:02 pm

Sir Savant wrote:
Freaky Keneaki wrote:I had a copy of Crazy Taxi that refused to boot on my Dreamcast. It used to work fine, then one day I decide to play it again and it just goes to the DC main menu. It wasn't scratched or anything, it just decided it didn't want to work anymore, and I had played it the day before and it worked fine. I don't have the game anymore though. After it having the same problem for a year and a half, I tried again, it failed, I got pissed at it not wanting to boot and threw it against the wall and watched it shatter. I downloaded and burned another copy of it and it works great. :D
Juarez
But technically I had rights to it since I bought it. Even if I did shatter it...
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:03 pm

Freaky Keneaki wrote:
Sir Savant wrote:
Juarez
But technically I had rights to it since I bought it. Even if I did shatter it...
Did you make the backup yourself?
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:04 pm

You had rights to make a backup, not download it from a third party.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:05 pm

Mkay. Nevermind then.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:57 pm

stagg wrote:

Yep it's the PC version. Got it because it was $10 cheaper than the console version. I got it working last night by installing it to my laptop that is behind on its Windows updates and then transferring across my LAN. I looked at LucasArts forums a few minutes ago and they still haven't created an official fix, though a user managed to hack the .msi to make it stop checking the signature of the .cab.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:31 am

stagg wrote:

I understand that. I was just hinting that if he had bought one of the console versions, he wouldn't be having this problem.

51% so far and most of the way through Jedi in Story Mode. Woo Hoo.
No signature.