what was your first emulator experience?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DeAthWaGer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what was your first emulator experience?

Post by DeAthWaGer »

I guess this would be the right place for this topic, or would "off topic" be more suitable? Sorry if this is so.

My first experience was when 3.5" shareware was popular, I found a disk at a local mall that had "Commodore 64 games" printed on it. I excitedly bought it, figuring having the games played on PC would load a lot faster than on my old C64 (what, like 5 minutes for Time Tunnel!?!? zzz.... zzz...). I think it was like 3 bucks.

It was an early C64 emulator and a few roms, and included a document on how to connect a C64 disk drive to a PC to copy over games you already had on 5.25 disks (a PC 5.25 drive wouldn't be compatible with C64 disks). I never bothered to made the cable (a few of the parts weren't available at Radio Shack and I wasn't "allowed" to order them), but the emulator wasn't very good anyhow.

A few months later Nesticle started getting into gear, and I grew a huge hope on the idea of emulation...
Wheeling Bitch Circus - Keepin' it METAL since 1998:

http://www.myspace.com/wheelingbitchcircus
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

This seems appropiate for it, for me probably Nesticle (classic if dodgy named), Genecyst or Callus (damn Final Fight & SF2 blew me away on it at the time on my mild PC)
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

mine was with biones.

we had just gotten our coputer like 3-4 months before this (its a 500mhz celeron, had 64mb ram with a 16mb dx7 vid card)

i really wanted to play donkey kong, so i googled it and found a site (id post it if a mod gives me permission- the rom packs and stuff are sill there and up for download so im gonna pass on postin it..) that had a pack of like 100 nes games and the biones emulator.

well, at that time i had no clue as to what an emulator was, but i did know how to run them and everything- i wasnt that clueless then (ie. that i was using an emulator to play them on) and that they were called roms. and if it was illegal or what. (this was like ~4-5 years ago)

but about a month later i was talkin with a friend and he "clued me in" to the basics, and after that i went home and got the cvgs psx emulator-wich ran perfectly, and a zsnes and some roms.

but i had no idea if they were illegal or not until a year-ish afterwards.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

NO$GB
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

That gb emulator, the one that begins with "r". Its also a nes emulator. Res? Rey? I dont remember.

Pokemon roms. My friend at school showed it to us on the old, messed up school pc's.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I started with iNES, played Ninja Gaiden at a slow framerate - then Nesticle came out and I fell in love with emulation ever since! Heck, I stll remember when SNES emulators had sound but it was all wrong (I believe it was SNES9x that first had sound)...
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Shapyi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shapyi »

Around 1998, Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past on SNES9x. It was slow as all hell on my 100 MHz Compaq computer. I was in 7th grade... good times. The only reason I was attracted to emulation was because of Click n Play Zelda 3 clones.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

NESticle. Don't remember when, but I believe I first played it on a P1 100.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

SNES 9x for PC.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

NESticle was mine for ninja gandain.
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Dark Savant0 wrote:That gb emulator, the one that begins with "r". Its also a nes emulator. Res? Rey? I dont remember.
REW. Gotta love that one :wink:
My first emu experience? My father bought a PC with 2000 games... I was expecting something like Quake II or whatever and i got MAME :lol:
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

Nesticle for playing Dragon Warrior.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

When I first got a PC, I used to search for Final Fantasy-related stuff. I stumbled across a page claiming to have downloads of Final Fantasy V, but they didn't work. At first I thought it was a hoax, but I spent a few hours searching to see if I could find some working ones - and I finally did.

Of course, back then Snes9x couldn't handle transparencies properly, so about 10 minutes into IV and 30 minutes into V I became completely stuck :|.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Reliving some of Turbo duo's greatest games.....and playing Goldenye on a 64 emulator, with improved frame rates, and such.....it was even better!!!
OldSkoolGamer
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by OldSkoolGamer »

NESticle was the first one I ever used, but SNES9x was the first one that I really played games on.
cky2k3
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cky2k3 »

i think no$gb was my first emulator experience that thing took me ages to figure out how to run and all i wanted to do was play tetris lol :lol:
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I was first introduced to emulators when a boy at school lent me this disk that had a partially translated pokemon gold on it, think the emulator was called dboy, cant remember...but yea, i ended up goin on the net and looking dboy up and finding all these emulators an stuff. I was amazed, lol.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

NESticle for me too. I can't remember when exactly but like Lartrak I was using a P1 100 at the time.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

NESticle or NO$GB were the first really playable emulators I used.

I really wanted to get N64 and PSX emulation going in the beginning using UltraHLE and Bleem! demo. But on a PII 300, 64mb Ram with a 4mb video card... you can't get far.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

My first emu was No$Gmb, the Dos version.