Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Specially Cork wrote:The 3D effect is quite nice (better than NSMB2 anyway)
NSMB2 was something of a disappointment; I wouldn't really use it as a frame of reference for anything. It was pretty much the only main-series Mario game that not only did NOTHING new, but had largely uninteresting level design, felt completely inessential, and made no compelling argument for the hardware on which it was released. It basically felt like a level pack for its predecessor, the 3D felt forced-in and added nothing, and the whole thing just felt like a "filler" title.

And it's a real shame, because pretty much every major Mario game--well, EVER--could support a case for being on a list of "best games." In addition, the 3DS has quite a few really good games--not to mention really good platformers in particular, and even really good Mario games--and several titles that manage to add 3D to titles that don't need it but still make it feel like a nice addition.

As you mentioned, the 3D in Shovel Knight is unnecessary, but it still adds a nice degree of depth and object differentiation. A handful of SEGA Genesis games were reworked with added depth, and it really makes those titles (particularly Streets of Rage) feel like entirely new games. And Mario 3D Land was absolutely steller.

If you want a new 2D Mario game, get the one for Wii U. The 3DS one is kind of a waste of time.
[...] and I just feel these simple retro-style games feel more at home on a portable to be honest. Like Spelunky on the PS Vita. It just feels it belongs there more than on any other platform.
I kind of agree, though my reasoning may seem a bit odd. These games tend to run in the neighborhood of 320x240 (or 400x240), which has a nice 1:1 pixel relation to the 3DS screen. Unless the game has a graphic option to simulate CRT pixels and scanlines, playing it on a "correct" resolution screen looks better to my eye than playing in jaggy-vision on an HD set, particularly when the game's native resolution doesn't divide cleanly into the output resolution and it has to use interpolation.

So, for low-res games (both new and old):
#1 preference: standard-def CRT set
#2 preference: native-resolution handheld or "scanline" filter
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Yeah, between NSMB2, Sticker Star, Yoshi's New Island and even Kirby Triple Deluxe I'd say Nintendo have dropped an unusually high number of clangers onto the 3DS. Don't get me wrong, they've release lots of great stuff too, and nothing is absolutely terrible, but there's been some disappointingly weak efforts in the last few years.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The DS had its fair share, too... you just tend to forget them because you're looking at the system in the rear view mirror, and all you can see are the successes. Nintendo tends to have this mystique, but really, they have their fair share of misses. The difference is that a Nintendo miss usually tends to be a mediocre, forgettable game rather than an actual bad game.

Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Island 2, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Star Fox Command, and the two Zelda games were all DS entries in major first-party franchises that just... didn't really feel quite right. They weren't BAD, but they didn't have that "Nintendo magic" either.

So while the 3DS may have those "meh" entries, it also has Super Mario 3D world (which--again--is incredible; it's a hybrid of Mario Galaxy and Mario 3), Zelda: Link Between Worlds (which has some of the best dungeon design in the entire series), Mario Kart 7, Pokemon X/Y, and several other major first-party franchise installments that just hit it out of the park.

And as for Kirby... well, I could have guessed that. Kirby games tend to be forgettable fluff. It's only in the very rare instance when they're willing to dramatically experiment with the formula (like Canvas Curse) that a Kirby game really stands out.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I...actually preferred the DS Zeldas. :oops:
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Zelda ranking time? I can do that:

Link to the Past
Link Between Worlds
Link's Awakening
Twilight Princess
Ocarina of Time
Skyward Sword
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Minish Cap
Four Swords Adventures
Legend of Zelda
Spirit Tracks
Phantom Hourglass
Link's Adventure

I expect there will be a lot of disagreement over that ranking. I should not that this is based solely on ranking the games against each other for their enjoyment today, not in terms of their historical significance or influence on the series.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Really? Twilight Princess that high?

I think it's the worst Zelda game out there. I've tried playing it at least five times and never made it more than 10 hours in. I don't think I enjoyed a single moment of it.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Specially Cork wrote:Really? Twilight Princess that high?
Ocarina of Time was largely successful at reinventing the Zelda formula in 3D, but it often felt like a large, empty world with lots of wandering around to get between the points of interest. Twilight Princess was basically a refinement and perfection of the OoT formula, with a more fleshed-out world, a greater variety in tasks and environments, etc. Ocarina broke the ground, but TP polished it. And it didn't have anything nearly as annoying as some of those temples in Ocarina of TIme :P
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

to me a link to the past is still one of the best in the series.

Ive bought Limbo.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I can officially tell you all, objectively, that Wind Waker is the best Zelda. Any other post in this thread is irrelevant.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I've been picking up PS4 games now.

Wolfenstein
This remains the best thing I've played on the system by miles. It really would be the game I'd suggest people pick up first when they make the jump to next-gen (TLOU and Tomb Raider remakes I'm sure would be up there too for anyone who hasn't played them).

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes
I picked this up because it was cheap and I've been meaning to play a MGS game again for a while, I've always found them boring and incomprehensible, with a strange out of place sense of humour. But I know people love them. This didn't change my mind one bit, not for me.

Killzone: Shadow Fall
I've never played any in the series, but again this was cheap and I wanted something new for the console. Really generic, did nothing for me at all.

Watch Dogs
Assassins Theft Auto. It's alright, I'm giving it more time, there's some fun slapstick moments when you're hacking a building through the CCTV system from outside. Screw the driving missions though.

Infamous: Second Son
Haven't played this yet, heard good things.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

A bit late to the party on this one, but I picked up Super Mario 3D Land from the flea market yesterday.

I also preordered the Limited Edition of Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star from the NIS America online store.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Suoer Marioland 2 - 3DS Free! (Club Nintendo Reward)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Matisfaction wrote:Suoer Marioland 2 - 3DS Free! (Club Nintendo Reward)
Earthbound for the same reason. Kind of a waste of a Platinum reward, but I already had pretty much everything else I wanted from the list.

EDIT: ...and SteamWorld Dig, because it's on sale in the eShop right now.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Specially Cork wrote:Really? Twilight Princess that high?
I couldn't get into it, I still own it and once I've gone through OOT 3D and WWHD I'll revisit Twilight Princess, but the most I've got out of it thus far is using it to softmod my Wii...
DaMadFiddler wrote:
Matisfaction wrote:Suoer Marioland 2 - 3DS Free! (Club Nintendo Reward)
Earthbound for the same reason. Kind of a waste of a Platinum reward, but I already had pretty much everything else I wanted from the list.
Earthbound is one of the few RPGs that I can actually play through..
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

earthbound is still fun to play. i bought nes remix 2.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Smiley wrote:i bought nes remix 2.

You messed up. Should have bought Shovel Knight.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

ive done that too.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Azure Striker Gunvolt. Fun little downloadable action-platformer on 3DS. Keiji Inafune (the creator of Mega Man) was signing things at PAX, so I took my Mega Man 2 NES cartridge. While I was waiting in line, he sent an assistant to give everyone in line a download code for Mighty Gunvolt, the NES-style reimagining of Azure Striker Gunvolt. Played it through a couple of times and ended up buying its "big brother" as a result.

Also been rounding out the game library:
- Bust-a-Move 2 (N64)
- Dune (SEGA CD)
- F-Zero X (N64)
- Faxanadu (NES)
- Illusion of Gaia (SNES)
- Light Crusader (Genesis)
- Little Nemo (NES)
- Metal Gear (NES)
- Shantae (3DS VC; would have preferred the original GBC cartridge, but apparently those are rare and expensive)
- SLaVE preorder (Dreamcast)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (N64)
- World of Illusion (Genesis)

...and thanks to Platinum Club Nintendo status, I got the Smash Bros. downloadable demo. It's pretty limited in terms of what you can do, but it's enough to give you a good feel for the game. My only concern is that Smash Bros. has a long history of being a controller-killer, and you can't just buy a new controller for your 3DS when you wear it out :/
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Um Jammer Lammy (PS1 - New!)
- Drugs

Parappa the Rapper 2 (PS2)
- Very enjoyable

Final Fantasy V (SFC)
- Will attempt to learn some Japanese and play it all the way through in it's native language

Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
- Always heard it is good, have yet to try.

Jet Set Radio Future/Sega GT 2002 (Xbox)
- Have been meaning to pick this up for awhile. JSRF alone makes it worth the $3 it tends to go for.

EDIT: Also: Pac-Man 2 (Genesis), THPS2 (PS1), Mario Kart 64
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Despite having problems with the controls and the small screen in the demo I ended up getting Smash Bros 3DS like I knew I would. The problems I had obviously remain as they're just side-effects of being on a portable system but I think it's great having something like this in your pocket.

The game is as fun as it always was, there's a ton of content to unlock and you can have a quick battle whenever you have five minutes to kill.

I also finally picked up Bravely Default, but haven't started it yet...