Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Pokemon Blue VC for 3DS. 151 soon
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Matisfaction »

Starfox 64 (Wii U VC), Trials Evolution (360)
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Transformers Devastation (360) £6.69 Bargain!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

We just bought a Saturn so that we could actually play that copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga :lol:

I also bought a collection of Saturn games to go with it. For a grand total of about $50:
- Alien Trilogy
- Bootleg Sampler (the pack-in demo CD)
- Bug!
- Clockwork Knight
- Croc
- Daytona USA
- Fighters Megamix
- Fighting Vipers
- Gex
- Jurassic Park: Lost World
- Last Bronx (JAP)
- Magic Carpet
- Scud: The Disposable Assassin
- Spot Goes to Hollywood
- Starfighter
- Tetris Plus
- Theme Park
- Tomb Raider
- Vampire Hunter: Darkstalkers' Revenge (JAP)
- Virtua Cop
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Virtua Fighter Remix (2 discs; one red, one blue)
- Virtual On: Cyber Troopers

They're all disc-only and came in a CD wallet, but at ~$2 per disc, I think I got my money's worth ;)
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Picked up Bloodborne. I've been avoiding the Souls series for a long time because the difficult/unforgiving reputation it has really doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but I've got a while til Uncharted and enough people have told me DS/BB is incredible that I've given in. I'm fairly certain I'm not gonna entirely change my mind, but I'm very happy to be surprised.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

not just souLLy now wrote:Picked up Bloodborne. I've been avoiding the Souls series for a long time because the difficult/unforgiving reputation it has really doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but I've got a while til Uncharted and enough people have told me DS/BB is incredible that I've given in. I'm fairly certain I'm not gonna entirely change my mind, but I'm very happy to be surprised.
Borrowed Dark Souls 2 off a mate and couldn't get on with it at all. The difficulty just didn't lend itself to casual play which is all I have time for these days. If I can't making meaningful progress in 30-60 minutes then I'm never going to get much mileage out of it. Also I just don't really like dark and dreary spooky themed stuff in general.

Been difficult for me to resist all the hype surrounding Bloodborne - especially when it's on sale, but I know I'll probably end up not playing it.

Then there's Dark Souls 3 out this week too...

Got my eyes on something much more my king of thing though - Ratchet & Clank.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...well, got the Saturn, and it arrived smashed to pieces >_<

Currently dealing with the eBay seller to try and get that refunded, so now I have to find another one.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Ratchet & Clank

I was really looking forward to introducing my son to this and he loves it. It's only $39.99 too which was a welcome surprise for a polished full-length game. They just don't make games like this anymore. Hopefully this and Yooka-Laylee will change that trend.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Specially Cork wrote:They just don't make games like this anymore.
I was about to answer with some counterexamples, and then I realized I didn't have any. And then I realized that, excepting Wii U exclusives, we've bought very few games overall this generation. Most of the games we have bought are (predominantly 2D) indie games on the computer. So while it's nice that game design concepts from the 80s and early-to-mid 90s are being brought back into the cultural lexicon, the distinctly GameCube/PS2 era of 3D design has been allowed to wither just as 2D did before it. The difference is that a revival would have to depend almost entirely on gameplay/game design aspects, which are a bit harder to define concretely, since I doubt many people are nostalgic for muddy textures and low-polygon models :P
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Picked up Twilight Princess HD (I never did beat the Wii/GameCube version), and preordered Star Fox Zero.
It's thinking...
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

XIII Xbox
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

So I've been playing Bloodborne for a good 20ish hours now and I have to say, it's genuinely really good. It is challenging, but never ridiculous and there's always a sense of progression, if you're struggling with one part there's always something else more manageable you could be getting on with or grinding a bit to level up. I've intentionally avoided this series up until now but BB at least is pretty great.

What's really surprised me is how much this game has got inside my head, I'm thinking about the game a lot during the day and I've watched a whole bunch of YouTube and read a ton of wiki stuff. I almost never get like this about a game. Who knows if my enthusiasm will stick around as the difficulty ramps, but I have to say it's been a really pleasant surprise.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Finished Bloodborne (yup, loved it, it won me over completely)

Aaaaaand playing Uncharted 4, I'm not the biggest fan of the series, they're fun but fairly forgettable for me, intrigued to see what a post-TLOU uncharted looks like though.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Does backing the Xenocider Kickstarter count?

Oh, I also bought the latest Nintendo Humble Bundle... but I already own Freedom Planet for Wii U, so if anyone would like a free download code....
FaithY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by FaithY »

:mrgreen:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

So Bloodborne dropped to $20 on the Playstation Store and I decided to finally go for it.

I went in 100% ready to hate it and I kinda did for a while, but I kept coming back and now I'm absolutely hooked.

The difficulty reminds me of those twitchy platformers you get on mobile where you constantly die and start over, but you learn from each death and manage to make it a little further each time. Then eventually you beat the level and it's incredibly satisfying and really addictive. Except this is a proper game with meat on its bones and so it's much more rewarding.
not just souLLy now wrote:What's really surprised me is how much this game has got inside my head, I'm thinking about the game a lot during the day and I've watched a whole bunch of YouTube and read a ton of wiki stuff.
And definitely this. It really stays with me when I go to work each day.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

I really didn't enjoy Uncharted 4.
A 7/10 game at best for me. Universally dislikable characters, predictable story, boring gameplay mechanics, and again, coming from a game as deep and satisfying as Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 felt utterly shallow.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

not just souLLy now wrote:I really didn't enjoy Uncharted 4.
A 7/10 game at best for me. Universally dislikable characters, predictable story, boring gameplay mechanics, and again, coming from a game as deep and satisfying as Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 felt utterly shallow.
Not even beaten it yet because I can't be bothered. There's been some absolutely amazing sequences that were a blast to play through, but the rest has been pretty rubbish. I guess they tried to do something new and bring in some mechanics from Last of Us with the big open areas and stealth options, but I thought they just slowed the game down.

I was also hoping for something a bit more substantial than racing a villain and his army around the world to find treasure. I've already done it three times and they've done nothing to freshen up the routine. I love how you go through a quiet area and can see all the purposely placed cover everywhere, and you know you're going to be fighting back through in 10 minutes time.

Also why is Nate always so damn sure there will be treasure at the end of every place he visits? Doesn't he remember the other three games where it's always just a clue pointing to another country? It was tragic how predictable it all is - working your way through a level, listening to their chatter, knowing that it's all going to be a waste of time.

The other games were guilty of this too, but maybe Uncharted 4 was one too many.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Specially Cork wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:I really didn't enjoy Uncharted 4.
Not even beaten it yet because I can't be bothered. There's been some absolutely amazing sequences that were a blast to play through, but the rest has been pretty rubbish. I guess they tried to do something new and bring in some mechanics from Last of Us with the big open areas and stealth options, but I thought they just slowed the game down.

I was also hoping for something a bit more substantial than racing a villain and his army around the world to find treasure. I've already done it three times and they've done nothing to freshen up the routine. I love how you go through a quiet area and can see all the purposely placed cover everywhere, and you know you're going to be fighting back through in 10 minutes time.

Also why is Nate always so damn sure there will be treasure at the end of every place he visits? Doesn't he remember the other three games where it's always just a clue pointing to another country? It was tragic how predictable it all is - working your way through a level, listening to their chatter, knowing that it's all going to be a waste of time.

The other games were guilty of this too, but maybe Uncharted 4 was one too many.

Exactly my feelings really, I slogged my way through it.

There's some amazing looking set-pieces and there's some incredible detail and polish in there, it's clearly had a lot of money spent on it, but good grief, the things that are wrong with it:

-The enemies all have a company uniform, so you're fighting hundreds of mostly identical looking enemies, start to finish: a bloke with a red hat, a bloke without a red hat and a bloke with body armour. Tedious and baffling when you see the time and effort spent on random detail. Also as usual there seems to be no consequence or sense of emotional conflict at mowing down hundreds of them, which would be fine if they were not trying so hard to portray a more human/relatable/three dimensional Nate.

-Boring repetitive game mechanics. The Last of Us was amazing DESPITE some weak parts of the game, the repetitive giving Ellie a boost to get a ladder, or moving a wooden palate in the water was tedious but the story was good enough to make you forgive it. Uncharted 4 doesn't have enough redeeming features to make you forgive the constant recurring mechanics. Identical crates on wheels were apparently in endless supply all over the world and through history it seems. It worries me that this was the element from TLOU that was copied, as it makes me wonder if they really understand why people love TLOU.

-Predictable. I don't think there was a single surprise in the game for me, every plot turn was obvious from miles away. Every gun fight, every building collapse. The only real surprise was how little they were willing to take a risk with the game, particularly considering it's the last game in the series.

-The characters are utterly 1 dimensional. I don't want to ruin any plot but the reactions by characters to the events of the game are unbelievable in the extreme. Nathan's girlfriend in particular made me scream at the TV multiple times, rather than being upset by being lied to by her husband, she just seems mildly disappointed she wasn't invited along. Terrible terrible writing. The only person remotely likeable is Sully, and again he's completely 1 dimensional.

-The puzzles. I don't think I had to really think about any of them. If they're not going to be any kind of a challenge then why are they there?

-Believability. I'm happy to suspend my sense of disbelief a bit, but how we're supposed to believe these treasures and islands are undiscovered for hundreds of years when a short walk on the island or a quick fly over with a helicopter would reveal everything. Also, Nate forever struggles through incredibly tough death-defying routes to find tombs and secret villages, which you can seemingly just casually walk to if you approach the area from the other side like the enemies do.

-The ending. Oh please fuck off.

-Crash Bandicoot. Rather than getting me hyped about a remake, all I learned is the game hasn't held up at all well since I played it last.

Crap. Highly polished, expensive looking crap.

Picked up Ratchet and Clank. It's fun.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii).

As the previous generation fades, I figured this is basically the last best chance to pick up those remaining entries from my Wii, DS, and PS3 want lists, as it'll soon be time to start doing the same for the Wii U and 3DS.

It's a Kirby game. Don't really know what else to say. The graphics aren't terribly impressive on a technical level but the art direction is good, and the game design is tight as you'd expect from a first-party Nintendo title. Feels closer both in spirit and in design to Kirby's Adventure on NES than other recent entries in the series have, and even the final boss is reminiscent of that game's boss.

It was a nice, light thing to play after work for the last week or so.