Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...to be fair, we probably would have traded the PS3 in for a PS4 if it played PS2 and PS3 games, since our backwards-compatible PS3 is dead, leaving us no way to play our PS2 games. (The cat breaking the Wii was a major factor in us getting a Wii U as early as we did.) But it's not, it's expensive, and the launch lineup is weak, so the system just isn't very interesting at this point.

EDIT: Gah; I hate it when an immediate follow-up post ends up breaking to a new page. Stupid lack of context.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Xbox One

Fifa 14 (Free)

Dead Rising 3

Forza 5

Zoo Tycoon (For my gf)

Pretty happy with the console so far.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Matisfaction wrote:Batman Arkham City £8.79 (Wii U)
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
Playstation 3 (12GB Super Slim).
I canceled my PS3 order then saw one yesterday going for £90.00 and decided to snap it up. It also came with FIFA 13, which is going straight in the bin.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Oceanhorn for iOS. It's a blatant Zelda ripoff, but it's a well-executed one, and the music was composed by Final Fantasy veterans.

Really looking forward to the new *actual* Zelda, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be getting it for Christmas, so this'll tide me over.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Oceanhorn for iOS. It's a blatant Zelda ripoff, but it's a well-executed one, and the music was composed by Final Fantasy veterans.

Really looking forward to the new *actual* Zelda, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be getting it for Christmas, so this'll tide me over.
I was disappointed with how Oceanhorn strayed from "inspired by" into blatant rip-off territory, especially considering how polished and beautiful it is (you've just got try it on an iPad Air if you can). I felt it tarnished an amazing effort.

That said though, it has a much better story than most Zelda games, is a great indie effort and has about 10-20 hours or gameplay. It's a steal at $9 and I always want to support iOS games that aren't full of iAP.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Specially Cork wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:Oceanhorn for iOS. It's a blatant Zelda ripoff, but it's a well-executed one, and the music was composed by Final Fantasy veterans.

I was disappointed with how Oceanhorn strayed from "inspired by" into blatant rip-off territory, especially considering how polished and beautiful it is (you've just got try it on an iPad Air if you can). I felt it tarnished an amazing effort.

That said though, it has a much better story than most Zelda games, is a great indie effort and has about 10-20 hours or gameplay. It's a steal at $9 and I always want to support iOS games that aren't full of iAP.
I'm only a couple of hours in, but I'm really enjoying it--and everything about it is refreshingly high-quality. I'm so used to awful stories and terrible (or nonexistent) voiceover work on iPhone games; everything feels like the bargain-bin version of a "real" console game. Oceanhorn may still be a Zelda-like game, the fact that it's a copycat is really the only negative thing about it.

Other than this one, probably the best "Zelda-like" games in recent years are Okami and 3D Dot Game Heroes. Going back a little further, Beyond Good & Evil and Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy were both quite good, though they strayed a bit farther from Nintendo's formula.

And if we want to get back to the pre-3D days, the two best not-Zeldas are Crusader of Centy (for Genesis) and Golden Axe Warrior for Master System. I still wish Sega would revisit the latter at some point.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I finally got around to buying and beating a few games over the past two months.

Saints Row 3.
Great! First entry into the saints row series. The gameplay is good, controls and feels good. I don't normally like this type of game, can't stand GTA to be honest. But this game felt like it knew it was a game, and played well because of it.

Tomb Raider.
First tomb raider game I actually ever beat. A lot of fun, beautiful game. Although Lauras short transition time from "oh my god I killed someone" to killing spree was laughable.

Bioshock Infinite
Ugh... I loved Bioshock 1 and 2, and even the DLC. But Infinite was a mess of a game. Boring combat (no one uses plasmids, except for a few special enemies.) Very linear gameplay. A disaster of a plotline - why was there a ghost in this game? The game literally throws the whole storyline at you in the last 30 minutes. Bioshock had so much less exposition, yet told so much more story. This game had way too much exposition and the story is only skin deep. I was even a sucker and bought the season pass, because I wanted the Rapture DLC since I loved the world of Rapture. That DLC is a joke, its about 2 hours of gameplay for 15 dollars normally. Stay away!

Saints Row 4
As Luiden said, "It's the game crackdown should have been." I had a lot of fun with this game too. A lot of jokes were lost on me due to not having played SR and SR2, but the gameplay was still quite enjoyable. I prefer SR3, but this was still a great game.

Pokemon white 2

Bought this awhile back, probably going to get started on it over the winter break. Really looking forward to the 3DS games once I pick up a 3DS.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I surprised myself and purchased a 3DS. My friend picked me up the new Zelda 3DS XL bundle for 150 USD during black Friday. I didn't plan on buying a 3DS, but Pokemon and the new Zelda seemed worth it, and the bundle at that price is a steal. Though I have to wait about 2 weeks for the thing to ship here. I'm excited, as it will be here just in time for my vacation, and I have a lot of train travel to do during my vacation.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Batman Oranges Wii U
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Edge - Wii U
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I... um. I just spent an embarrassing amount of money on dice.

I recently started a D&D campaign with some friends, some of whom have never played before, and as a DM, I have a tradition of buying new players their first set of dice. (In the interim, the new players have been borrowing extra dice from me in order to play.)

Well, I found a deal too good to pass up on Dwarven Stones. These are dice sets carved from semiprecious stones (quartz, onyx, jade, etc.), and they are normally well outside my price range. But there was a game store in my area going out of business, and I managed to get a few sets at a steep discount... so I'll be surprising the group with them next week.

To give you an idea, here are pictures of two of the varieties I got:

Blue jasper

Snowflake obsidian

They also make some REALLY ridiculous ones, like sterling silver dice, and dice carved from allosaurus bones and woolly mammoth ivory. Those ones cost several times more PER DIE than entire SETS of the stone ones, though :P
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Max Payne 3 (PS3) £5.00 :mrgreen:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Picked up the new Zelda a week ago, but I haven't had any time to play it except maybe like 30 minutes. I'm surprised only one person here picked up the new Zelda.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:Picked up the new Zelda a week ago, but I haven't had any time to play it except maybe like 30 minutes. I'm surprised only one person here picked up the new Zelda.
I got it the minute it appeared on the eshop, but I've just not had time to play it yet.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I must have forgot to post about it, I picked it up too. It's really fun to play but probably the easiest in the series.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

not just souLLy now wrote:I must have forgot to post about it, I picked it up too. It's really fun to play but probably the easiest in the series.
I'd say it's about on-par with most of the other handheld Zeldas, which have always been more straightforward than their console counterparts.

I think it's weird because we've already had a full console Zelda experience on our 3DSes with the excellent OOT port and it's taking a bit of adjustment going back to a "pocket Zelda" where everything is simpler and more compact.

People's expectations were a lot higher with this than they were for the DS Zelda games, but even though I'd say this game is better, it still delivers a similar sort of package overall.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Specially Cork wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:I must have forgot to post about it, I picked it up too. It's really fun to play but probably the easiest in the series.
I'd say it's about on-par with most of the other handheld Zeldas, which have always been more straightforward than their console counterparts.
Link's Awakening may not have been as LONG as a console Zelda, but some of the tasks were pretty obscure and I don't think I've ever gotten stuck in a Zelda title more than I did in that game.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Specially Cork wrote:
Link's Awakening may not have been as LONG as a console Zelda, but some of the tasks were pretty obscure and I don't think I've ever gotten stuck in a Zelda title more than I did in that game.
That's why I went with "most" :wink:

As far as I recall though all the others, including the Capcom ones have been fun yet simple affairs.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Link's Awakening is by far my favorite, and it's the only handheld Zelda I really go back to. The Oracle games were a little too on-rails for me, and I don't think I ever actually got around to finishing Minish Cap. Phantom Hourglass was an exercise in tedium, and because of that I never bothered to play Spirit Tracks.

I have been looking forward to this one, though.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for iOS.

I realize that I already own more copies of Sonic 2 than probably any other game (2 Genesis cartridges, Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube, Wii Virtual Console download, Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3, and now this), but I'm really impressed with the Christian Whitehead ("Taxman") remakes, and I really do think they stand up as the definitive versions of the classic Sonic games. Can't wait to see what the guy does with Sonic 3 & Knuckles, or what happens after that. (Think they'll ever let him start making his own?)

It adds a lot of new features: widescreen support, Knuckles, various tweaks and options, a smoother and less laggy engine than the original (obviously), the reinclusion (in modified form) of Hidden Palace Zone, game saving, a complete revamp of the special stages with smoother animation (they actually seem a bit harder to me, though that could just be due to the touchscreen controls), and a bunch of other things that I'm sure have yet to be discovered.

I'm sure most people here are familiar with Taxman and his history with this project, but for those who aren't: let it suffice to say that the guy is a MAJOR Sonic geek who knows all the ins and outs of the series, and has included all sorts of neat tweaks and hidden fan service in his remakes.

However, I have noticed a few bugs in this version:
- the Hill Top Zone boss doesn't load. This is a known bug and will be fixed in an update.
- if Tails kills one of the grabby-spider enemies in Chemical Plant just as it's grabbing Sonic, Sonic will be stuck in the "grabbed" animation and can't move. You have to restart.
- If you select to play as just Sonic, it'll give you Sonic and Tails anyway.