Xbox Modchip

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Xbox Modchip

Post by melancholy »

I'm thinking about getting a no-solder chip for my Xbox now that the warranty is expired. I have a version 1.0. I was on Xbox-Scene and seen a chip called Xecuter that had no wires. Is it a good chip or is there something better I can get? And where is the most reliable (and preferably cheapest) place to get one? You can tell I have no clue at the moment, but I know once I get a mod, I'll learn quickly.
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Clarkbar »

http://www.gameshopusa.com the executer no solder is a good chioce.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Re: Xbox Modchip

Post by Roofus »

melancholy wrote:I'm thinking about getting a no-solder chip for my Xbox now that the warranty is expired. I have a version 1.0. I was on Xbox-Scene and seen a chip called Xecuter that had no wires. Is it a good chip or is there something better I can get? And where is the most reliable (and preferably cheapest) place to get one? You can tell I have no clue at the moment, but I know once I get a mod, I'll learn quickly.
I've got the Xecuter 2.3 Lite Plus. It was a bit of a pain to get working, but once I did, I've had no problems with it. I highly recommend both the chip and the place I linked to.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I am quite up to date with the Xbox "scene" and I can help you out with the modchip selection if you wish. I'd recommend getting any Xecuter chip. I hear the Lite Plus is quite good, but haven't actually tried it myself.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Alright, I'll get that chip then. Man, between this chip and my Radeon 9600 XT, my tax check will be gone before I even get it.

One thing I do want to know is if DVD+R's will work on it. In case it makes a difference, I supposedly have a Thomson drive.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I think that only DVD-Rs work on it but im not sure...
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
* illusion *
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by * illusion * »

Thompson will read DVD+R and DVD+RW. No CD-R support but CD-RW sometimes work. I need to replace my Thompson >_<
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

For what it's worth, I have a tiny homebrew chip that a buddy cooked up for me. Works like a charm. The solder job he did is the cleanest I've ever seen. Man, that guy's a wizard.

If you can find someone with the right skills, a soldered chip is pretty safe.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
* illusion *
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by * illusion * »

Yup, only thing I hate about soldering Xbox chips is the damn D0 point :twisted:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Some brnads of CD-R will work - there was a compatibility page floating about the place some time ago.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
G-FORCE
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by G-FORCE »

Samsung will read em all (most of them will, mine does for instance)

You don't want a Philips you want a Thomson at the least.

And about the chip, X-Ecuter Solderless thats all there is to it

But if you can get some isntallation service or if you can do it on your own, X-ECUTER 3 and other 4th Generation Modchips are heading on there way, some can even work with a LCD screen
rmbell
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by rmbell »

really? I had no problem at all with the D0 point? I would recommend an Xecuter without the pogo. If you are going to take your box places and stuff, the solder chip is recommend cause the pins can slip off and wut not. But other wise get the pogo by all means. My little hint is when you get the pogo in the right place, but a little bit of hot glue on it to keep it in place ;)
Old school.
Barnolde
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Barnolde »

G-FORCE wrote: You don't want a Philips you want a Thomson at the least.
No... it's Samsung > Philips > Thomson

Thomsons are the oldest and worst.
AIM: Barnolde
XBL: Barnolde
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

That is correct. The Samsung drive for XBOX will boot up practically any type of CD DVD media you throw at It. Phillips being the mid point and Thompson drive being the worst. You can replace your XBOX DVD drive or you can mod a DVD drive for use on XBOX which is complicated. Mine has a Thompson drive in It. :waaah: But I have to settle for DVD+R media but at least the emulators I have run.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

is "Xenium With Official Solderless Adapter" a good modchip to use, here is some info:

"Xenium is a very advanced 4th generation modchip, created by a combined team of the maker of the Chameleon (Xodus) and Ozchip (a reference in Xbox dev.). Its fully software controlled interface opens up unlimited possibilities and options, some of which we don't even know of yet! Beside all the other functions such a high quality 2M Xbox upgrade brings to you in terms of import playing, backup options etc. This pack includes an official solderless adaptor compatible with V1.0 to V1.5 Xbox that does not require any rivets!"

and some more:

"XENIUM FEATURE LIST:

HARDWARE

1. NO DIP SWITCHES
2. Multiple install method, Quick-solder, pin header (supplied), wire. (Solder-less Adaptor + D0 wire loom available shortly).
3. Dual SPI port for unlimited future add-on's
4. Compatible with all known consoles to date (v1.0 - v1.5)
5. Full color Status/Bank LED (no more Live banning!)
6. Hardware protected Emergency Recovery System (ERS). (No reason to ever remove chip for a bad firmware update)
7. Inbuilt Flash system. No more need for direct connection to computer ( No more troublesome LPT or USB programmers)
8. D0 Control .. SAVE YOUR CONSOLE .. with D0 control we ensure the minimal stress is applied to the D0 line by only pulsing D0 at reset time, all other times the D0 is left free..
9. Small compact design with no complicated forced extras for the unit to function.

SOFTWARE:

1. Dynamic Bank Partitioning: Choose from, 1MB, 512/512k, 256/256/256/256k, 256/256/512k. Set through XUI, the user can simply configure the bank operation mode of his Xenium through a simple onscreen menu, and the use of the joypad.
2. Boot bank options: Default Boot Bank Quick-start/Quick Select/Boot to Xenium-UI
3. Bios Naming: Auto naming/Manual naming
4. Bios Flashing: Through browsing of HDD or using separate CDROM
5. EEPROM Tools: Back up EEPROM from flash. Restore EEPROM to flash. Pal/Ntsc Video Mode selection. Game Region selection. DVD Region selection"

Just checking if you guys would know if this is a good one or not, becuase I already pruchesed it. I got it from http://www.divineo.com
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes