Sega's 60th anniversary

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Sega's 60th anniversary

Post by MetaFox » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Sega's celebrating their 60th anniversary this year, and set up a website for it.

Most of the fun stuff is only in Japanese, including a really neat Segata Sanshiro-related promotion.

For those who don't remember, or don't know, Segata Sanshiro was a man in a karate gi who forcefully made people play Saturn, and was the Sega Saturn mascot in Japan. He was played by Hiroshi Fujioka.

Here's the ad with Segata Sanshiro's theme song from 1997:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ASoIDKzqJE

Sega has a "special 60th anniversary movie" - three ads featuring Sega Shiro, the son of Segata Sanshiro. Even more fun, he's played by Maito Fujioka, the real-life son of the actor, Hiroshi Fujioka.

Sega Shiro means Play Sega, just like Segata Sanshiro's ads ended with Sega Saturn Shiro. This was a double play on words, as Segata Sanshiro sounds like Sega Saturn Shiro, and of course Play Sega Saturn.

Anyway, I've been practicing my Japanese by translating the three ads. My Japanese knowledge is still pretty rudimentary, so apologies in advance if any of these translations are off.

I've got a playlist of the three videos on YouTube. Turn on closed captions to see the subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL28-Oqdcfj8dZHjqqJMmRLWqN0n_cH6VL
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Sega's 60th anniversary

Post by Eviltaco64X » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:37 pm

I'm pretty happy that Segata is being avenged
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter