Nintendo Switch

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Nintendo Switch

Post by |darc| »

Thoughts?
It's thinking...
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by mankrip »

It's an overpowered handheld, with lots of potential to keep Nintendo as the main force in handhelds.

Of course, it can also be used as a regular console, which is a great feature for when playing at home.

I suspect that one of the most significant audiences will be the people who doesn't play on consoles, only on computers and handhelds. Those will also use it as a console, mainly to continue games that they were playing on the go, while their computers will still get most of the in-home gaming.

But anyway, I won't buy one because I'm poor as fuck. My Android phone with a bluetooth gamepad is enough for me.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
bogglez

Post by bogglez »

Running around with your smartphone is socially acceptable, running around with a gaming handheld is not. I doubt people would whip this baby out in a bus.
Nintendo should just learn to develop for Android and iOS. Those systems are not going to leave.
Wiki & tutorials: http://dcemulation.org/?title=Development
Wiki feedback: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=103940
My libgl playground (not for production): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/libgl15
My lxdream fork (with small fixes): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/lxdream
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I don't know what kind of people you hang around, but I wouldn't view walking around with a Nintendo 3DS as 'socially unacceptable.'
It's thinking...
bogglez

Post by bogglez »

It's considered childish, uncool here. Playing on your smartphone? That's primarily a phone so that's OK. :roll:
This thing is bigger than a 3ds so I think it's worse
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I've played on PSP, GBA, Dingoo, Gopher and JXD S7300 while on the bus, and nowadays I play on my Android phone with an ípega 9023 Bluetooth controller, which is huge. Nobody looked at me as if I was childish, maybe because I'm a 37 years old guy.

Just bring a hammer with you and smash their brains into the sidewalk if anyone gives you any funny looks. People who sees others as "childish" aren't worth of the air they breathe.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
bogglez

Post by bogglez »

We're not talking about me here, but the average person. I see lots of people playing on their smartphones, even if it's Pokemon go. Don't see many play on proper handheld consoles though, so I have some doubts for the Switch
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I'm excited. I love Nintendo's handhelds and if this is how they're moving foreward then great. There's still a gimmick involved I guess, but it's a sensible one I can definitely get behind.

I need to see the software though. I can't justify spending £200+ on hardware just for Nintendo and they've really struggled with that in recent years. The 3DS has faired a little better, but mainly from small Japanese studios enjoying the lower dev costs. That's not going to apply here. I've seen third party logos thrown around, but Square Enix and Ubisoft were behind the Wii U too and look how that turned out. What's going to compel them to develop separate games this time?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Bogglez: At least here in Brazil, most people don't play handhelds in public because they're afraid of being robbed.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
bogglez

Post by bogglez »

Sounds like a place I should visit :o
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

mankrip wrote:Bogglez: At least here in Brazil, most people don't play handhelds in public because they're afraid of being robbed.
But who needs Mario anyway when you can sniff glue from a bottle.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Specially Cork wrote:
mankrip wrote:Bogglez: At least here in Brazil, most people don't play handhelds in public because they're afraid of being robbed.
But who needs Mario anyway when you can sniff glue from a bottle.
:lol: That's the spirit!
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
lerabot
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lerabot »

I rock the GPD XD out in public, no problem.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I am surprised the main console controller is so Playstation/Xbox like.
I expected some design similarities with the Gamecube.
I am also surprised the WiiMote is complete removed from the equation.
I guess Nintendo has abandoned backward compatibility as well. Though they hardly ever been that good at it.
I don't like the black color. Would've stuck with white, or maybe something else like space grey, satin, gold or whatever.

Lastly, on the discussion of Nintendo just developing for phones.... Why not make the successor of 3DS a phone?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:I am surprised the main console controller is so Playstation/Xbox like.
I expected some design similarities with the Gamecube.
I am also surprised the WiiMote is complete removed from the equation.
I guess Nintendo has abandoned backward compatibility as well. Though they hardly ever been that good at it.
I don't like the black color. Would've stuck with white, or maybe something else like space grey, satin, gold or whatever.

Lastly, on the discussion of Nintendo just developing for phones.... Why not make the successor of 3DS a phone?
I thought Nintendo were always the best with BC? Obviously that ends with this as there's no way to play discs. I hope there is still BC though. I'm still waiting for the Wii U to drop in price, but if the Switch can play Wii U games digitally then I'll just go with that instead.

...Is there going to be a successor to the 3DS? The main advantage of the Switch is Nintendo not spreading themselves too thinly over two devices. Plus we'll finally get things we always wanted like a console Pokemon game. I'm not sure how Nintendo are going to sell me another handheld if I've already got a Switch in my pocket bag.

As for making it a phone...every attempt at a gaming phone (either through addon hardware or as a stand-alone unit) has failed. Stick decent gaming controls on it and it's rubbish as a phone. Make them detachable and you're just selling a phone with accessories.

Plus there's the challenge of actually making a decent smartphone. I replace mine with a top-end model every 2 years. If Nintendo brought one out for £200-£300 that's going to be lower mid-range at not really what I'm looking for. Plus if they're using Android, which would be the only sensible choice, they may as well just not bother with the hardware, stick their games in the Play Store and be done with it. I can't see Nintendo becoming app developers any time soon.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Specially Cork wrote:
...Is there going to be a successor to the 3DS? The main advantage of the Switch is Nintendo not spreading themselves too thinly over two devices. Plus we'll finally get things we always wanted like a console Pokemon game. I'm not sure how Nintendo are going to sell me another handheld if I've already got a Switch in my pocket bag.

This is the most important thing concerning the Switch.

It ultimately unites both of their markets, which ensures a large library of 3rd party support. Nintendo only wants to make one game per year that pushes the hardware capabilities of the platform? Fine. There's still a ton of DS-level shovelware to fill the shelves and make money from.

However, that all falls apart if it's priced over $300.

The horribly timed commercial disaster that was the Wii U cemented Nintendo's position in the traditional console market forever. I think this is the best move they could have made. Unfortunately, I don't leave my house so I don't see myself buying one.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Also... I understand its importance in the marketing, the modularity of the controllers popping off, better communicating the platform's dual purposes/functionality... But doesn't it just make way more sense to... make it like the Wii U gamepad where they're permanently on there? The whole idea of popping them off to slide onto the little controller base for home use is pretty dumb if you can just pop it into the dock and grab the regular "pro" controller. Mobile multiplayer is the only thing that they are "good" for, otherwise, which is something I have a hard time imagining being a common scenario.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

1. Melding a portable and console is awesome. I own both a Wii U and 3DS, but I've rarely played the latter in the past two years. There aren't any 3DS exclusives left for me to play.

2. Off-TV play is amazing. My favorite Wii U feature is playing console games on a handheld screen, whether it's playing during football or if someone else wants to watch six hours of Project Runway.
cube_b3 wrote: I guess Nintendo has abandoned backward compatibility as well. Though they hardly ever been that good at it.
"Hardly ever been good at it" equaling expensive, maybe. The official virtual console is pricey if you've bought stuff on the Wii and Wii U. But they're selling much of the company's back catalog, even Gamecube and DS games now.

But any mentally capable member of DCEMU should be able to mod the vWii mode on the Wii U. With Homebrew Channel, you can play any NES, Game Boy (Color, Advance) SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii game. Want more? There's arcade, TG-16, Genesis, NEO GEO and others. Give me another system that can do all of that.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I view backward compatibility as popping in a game you own into the current console.

Like my PS3 60GB has perfect bc. I can play all PS games on it. I wish they were enhanced like Bleemcast without the bugs but I can definitely play them. Nintendo on the other hand... sure the original models of Wii/DS were bc with GC/GBA but successive models dropped that feature. Wii U wasn't GCBC.

Microsoft as of late has been trying to get into it but it is below minimum.

Does anyone think had they listened to shareholders, invested more time in R&D. They could've released a Wii U which was the middle ground between Switch. I think we are getting into Sega territory... the what if situations work better for them... I think Nintendo was in a bad situation with the Wii being severely underpowered and had outlived it's life. Maybe they could've released a WiiHD... early on in the Wii life cycle...?

I don't know.... I enjoy discussing hypothetical sometimes more than reality, lol. But honestly, I don't really care. I don't even own a PS4/X1 (even though I've preordered Shenmue 3). I have soooooo many games on PS3/X360 to play.... Hell, I even have many games on X-Box that I should probably play like JSRF or Gun Valkyrie.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:Like my PS3 60GB has perfect bc. I can play all PS games on it. I wish they were enhanced like Bleemcast without the bugs but I can definitely play them. Nintendo on the other hand... sure the original models of Wii/DS were bc with GC/GBA but successive models dropped that feature. Wii U wasn't GCBC.
Vast majority of Wii consoles were backwards compatible with GC. Wii U was backwards compatible with Wii. One generation back is really as much as you can expect.

Sure, Nintendo hasn't been perfect with this, but neither has Sony (PS4 has no backwards compatibility, vast majority of PS3 models are only backwards compatible with PS1).
It's thinking...