Games Games Games

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Games Games Games

Post by Specially Cork »

What's everyone looking forward to or planning on playing as we get into the busy end of the year?

This month is going to be busy for me, I'm really hyped for Dragon Quest Heroes - I thought it would be a lousy fan-service spin-off but the more gameplay I watch from it the more it looks like it's going to be a really fun game. I'm getting Uncharted Collection as I only ever played 2 and loved it. Then we've got Tales of Zestiria and Ass Creed Syndicate which will probably both be average, but I'm kinda committed to both series and need a truely atrocious entry to stop me throwing money at them.

On top of all that there's Minecraft Story Mode Episode 1 which I made the mistake of letting my son see the trailer for as he's really into Minecraft and he's all excited for that next week. Plus there's the final episode of Life is Strange which has been absolutely amazing so far.

...then there's Fallout 4 and Tomb Raider in November, and I might not be able to resist Just Cause 3 if they nail the controls this time around.

I thought I was growing out of gaming but I'm well back into it this year. So much good stuff. I just have absolutely no time for any of it. I'm still working my way through Witcher 3, Mad Max and GTA5 (for a second time) :grin:
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Games Games Games

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Mario Maker. We also just got Runbow, and we've been playing that a lot with friends on our weekend game night.

Eva (my wife) just finished getting as many of the different endings as she had patience for in Undertale, and has now moved on to playing Earthbound.

We're both looking forward to Fallout 4, but this winter seems a little dead compared to past years. My most anticipated game at this point is No Man's Sky.

Nintendo's handling of the Wii U release schedule has been absolutely criminal.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

There's a lot I'm looking forward to but not much of it is actually coming out this side of Christmas. I have Metal Gear Solid V, Fallout 4 and Mario and Luigi Paper Jam all definitely lined up. If reviews are good I might grab Chibi Robo and Minecraft Story Mode and if I see a good deal for it, maybe PS4 Tearaway too.

For stuff a bit longer off, Uncharted 4, the new Zelda and the next Tomb Raider are the real biggies for me. There's also a ton of indie titles that look incredible: Night in the Woods, Firewatch, No Man's Sky, The Last Guardian, Yooka Laylee, Tacoma and The Witness all look more exciting than 99% of what the major publishers are churning out.

Also if a true Mario 64 sequel, The Last of Us 2, a Jet Set Radio sequel, a Maniac Mansion sequel, Fez 2 and a resurrected PT came out this gen that would great thanks.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

What do you mean "a true Mario 64 sequel"? Has something been missing from your Mario? Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are the best 3D platformers--let alone Mario games--ever created. And 3D Land is no slouch, either.

Basically the problem I have is that I'm just not that into what Sony and MS (and the big-name publishers on those platforms) are pushing. There are certainly exceptions. But the only "big" game company whose titles are consistently satisfying to me is Nintendo, and they just haven't been turning out very much content this generation. I've largely gone back to the computer for gaming; if it weren't for the strength of the indie scene, I probably wouldn't be gaming much these days.

I haven't been this uninterested in a console generation since the PlayStation/Saturn/N64 years.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Recent Marios are inferior to Mario 64 for numerous reasons but among the biggest things for me are a lack of an interesting explorable hubworld and increasingly linear/formulaic levels. Galaxy is fine but guilty of both of those. it just seems like there's more gloss and fan service and none of the heart of 64 to me. And Galaxy 2 may as well have been DLC for Galaxy 1.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Fallout 4 (pip-boy ordered)
Battlefront
Xenoblade Chronicles X (pre-ordered)

That's the rest of my year.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Xenoblade Chronicles X (pre-ordered)
The one game that would have convinced me to pick up a WiiU. Unfortunately it seems like the console has run its course so the prudent thing to do at this point will be to wait until next summer and pick one up cheapo with all the games I missed.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Specially Cork wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:Xenoblade Chronicles X (pre-ordered)
The one game that would have convinced me to pick up a WiiU. Unfortunately it seems like the console has run its course so the prudent thing to do at this point will be to wait until next summer and pick one up cheapo with all the games I missed.
Maybe even wait to see if whatever the NX is has backwards compatibility. Windwaker HD and Pikmin 3 are really good, but honestly nothing has blown me away enough to recommend anyone to buy one... the eShop is woeful, third party is non-existent as usual, it's under-powered, the hdd is too small, first party hasn't been as essential as previous generations and the controller while a cool/convenient piece of kit, hasn't really created any ground-breaking experiences that we've never seen before. I'm saying this as a lifelong Nintendo fan.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I don't know what's next for Nintendo.

Get essential third-party support back by releasing a standard console then spend the rest of the gen playing catch-up?

Or roll the dice on another game-changer but risk another failed gimmick?

They're stuck in the middle of a generation without competitive hardware, then there's other issues they really need to sort out:

- the wavering quality of their recent first-party games
- antiquated region-locking and heavily staggered release dates
- poor online services
- un-competitive digital pricing - they really need to swallow their pride here. $59.99 for a 3-year-old launch title just because its Mario? Pffft.

I want them to do well. A console exactly like my PS4 but with Nintendo support would be my first-choice every time.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I already got Metal Gear Solid V that I have been forcing myself to play. That game is cool but really repetitive. I also bought Mario Maker, which keeps stealing my time for other games. And I just got Yoshi Woolly World with all 3 yarn Amiibos, which I'm sure would be good if I could stop playing Mario Maker. Other than Triforce Heroes, which I think I'll let my friend buy and just do download play, that should take care of me through the rest of the year.

To be honest, I've pretty much lost interest in any new games that are not Nintendo. The Wii U is easily the most played current gen console in the house, but even it can't compete with my older game systems. I play my SNES and PSX more than my PS4 and Wii U.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Yeah, I pretty much just play NES, SNES, and PSX at this point. Mostly NES. The Wii U gets some play, but only on occasion.
It's thinking...
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I'll probably go to town on Fallout 4 when it comes out, but other than that I haven't been playing games much lately. The occasional CSS match, that's about it. Too many other hobbies these days, I can't seem to get interested enough in a game to finish it anymore.

I'm still waiting for Half Life 3. :(
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:Yeah, I pretty much just play NES, SNES, and PSX at this point. Mostly NES. The Wii U gets some play, but only on occasion.
Runbow is damn fun, but you need a minimum of 3-4 people (it supports up to 9) to properly appreciate it.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

not just souLLy now wrote:. Windwaker HD and Pikmin 3 are really good, but honestly nothing has blown me away enough to recommend anyone to buy one...
It would be hard to disagree with that, there's a lot of excellent but niche titles on the system, you couldn't say to someone "you need to buy a Wii U just for "this" game.."
Specially Cork wrote:I don't know what's next for Nintendo.
I think people need to realise that (western) 3rd party support has gone, it isn't likely to come back and there's not really much that Nintendo can really do about it either. The Wii U had the best 3rd party launch line up of any Nintendo platform, yet pretty much every title bombed and you can't really blame the install base all that much as the launch numbers were good until the drought in 2013. and Nintendo software (albeit limited) has sold pretty well over the course. Nearly 3/4 of Wii U owners bought Mario Kart 8 (about a million behind the PS4s best selling game GTA V), Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon and Mario Maker are selling well, even Cpt. Toad has sold almost a million copies, so people are buying games for the system just not 3rd party.

NX is going to be interesting, I think Japanese companies will get behind it, but companies like EA, Activision, WB, Bethesda and Ubisoft aren't going be so keen. IMO it's a great idea to go down the hybrid handheld/home console route, that way Nintendo can pool all development together and have a huge stream of exclusive software for the system to accompany the smattering of Japanese/indie 3rd party support that it's inevitably going to get.

If Nintendo bring a steady stream of games to the NX and also PROMOTE it, the NX will do pretty well IMO.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Matisfaction wrote:I think people need to realise that (western) 3rd party support has gone, it isn't likely to come back and there's not really much that Nintendo can really do about it either.
Then I'll never buy another Nintendo console within its lifespan again.

Doesn't matter how good their games are; making a console exclusively for your own games and little else is a dick move that benefits nobody but Nintendo themselves. Can you imagine if we had to a buy a separate console for every developer? I'm not going to give Nintendo a free pass. If they can't gather a respectable level of third party support then they have no business still making consoles.

It's a shame, because if they did have that third party support I'd bin off Playstation in an instant. A Nintendo console with a full selection of games would be my dream choice.

Alternatively they could just become a third party developer...that would work too. Seems very unlikely though.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Specially Cork wrote:
Matisfaction wrote:I think people need to realise that (western) 3rd party support has gone, it isn't likely to come back and there's not really much that Nintendo can really do about it either.
Then I'll never buy another Nintendo console within its lifespan again.

Doesn't matter how good their games are; making a console exclusively for your own games and little else is a dick move that benefits nobody but Nintendo themselves. Can you imagine if we had to a buy a separate console for every developer? I'm not going to give Nintendo a free pass. If they can't gather a respectable level of third party support then they have no business still making consoles.

It's a shame, because if they did have that third party support I'd bin off Playstation in an instant. A Nintendo console with a full selection of games would be my dream choice.

Alternatively they could just become a third party developer...that would work too. Seems very unlikely though.
I've felt a similar frustration. They seem to be trapped in a loop of letting things deteriorate to the point of near hopelessness, then forging some strong partnerships that help the next system, then forgetting the lesson and letting it happen all over again. And the industry has reached a point where that may not be enough any more; there are too many other competing technologies, from the Xbox and PlayStation to near-ubiquitous Android and iOS devices. If Nintendo's next system isn't a hit from the start, I don't see how they can keep making systems. There's no more room for error. And frankly, maybe that's a good thing overall--over the last generation and a half, console makers seem to have more or less forgotten why people choose dedicated consoles over PCs, and consoles have picked up many of PC gaming's annoyances without gaining any of its advantages. Perhaps it's time for game consoles and the concept of the proprietary platform to die.

The only problem is that of the AAA titles, Nintendo's are about the only ones I find myself consistently drawn to. Of the systems that are currently supported, we have a PS3, a PS4, a Wii U, and two 3DSes.

In its twilight, the PS3 has become more of a set-top box than a game system for us. We've mostly used it for DVD/Blu-Ray playback and Netflix (though not the latter any more, since our new TV has a Netflix app built in). It's been over a year since I played a game on it, and Eva has spent a total of maybe 30 or 40 hours gaming on it in that time. I liked the PS3, but I don't really find too many of its games to be the kind that I replay again and again. Honestly, as it becomes more of a vintage system, I'll probably spend more time with the PS2 than the PS3.

Eva got the PS4 for her birthday, but we've barely touched it. The games we've actually put time into this year were either PC indies (Undertale, NecroDancer, Pillars, Titan Souls, Freedom Planet, etc.) or Nintendo titles. Smash Bros. and MarioKart are still staples of game nights with friends, and those titles have recently been joined by Runbow. Eva bought and spent a month playing through EarthBound. We recently finished a long-running coop game of Mario 3D World, and blew through the new Kirby and Yoshi titles. And while Nintendo has had a serious release schedule issue with the Wii U, and it has definitely been frustrating, that's still the system we've spent the most time using, by far.

I don't know whether they'd still hold themselves to this, but Nintendo officials stated during an interview at the end of the GameCube era that "the day Nintendo stops making its own systems is the day Nintendo stops making video games." So, kinda stuck.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Wii U vs PS4/XONE reminds me very much of how N64 and Gamecube stood up to the likes of PS1 and PS2/Xbox. It's a cherry picker's choice. The games I would play the absolute most are on Wii U, but everything else is elsewhere. Like N64 and Gamecube, sentiment will grow for it over time and eventually a decent number of it's AAA games will be behind glass casing while PS4's and Xbox One's will be in a clearance basket of cutting edge 'has-beens'.

Nintendo has never been one to share the optimization techniques that make their games work so well on their hardware. No matter what the hardware is, 3rd parties get screwed. Sony and Microsoft do well in part because they are obsessed with making dev-friendly environments for studios. PS3 was a nightmare to program for at the start of it's life. It made the quality of it's games notably inferior to the ports on Xbox 360. For a year or two, companies were announcing EoS for it and the system was drifting into a state of peril (so much so that people were calling it the next Saturn). Sony ultimately responded by contracting Naughty Dog to make the dev tools in the SDK more sophisticated, comprehensive, and easier to use. In conjunction with a redesign at a price drop, their plan worked and it worked rather quickly! Had it not been for these steps, the PS3 may have never recovered from it's early blunders the way that it did.

The irritating thing about Nintendo's Kyoto-based stubbornness is that, no matter how much they try to force their "we only do games" philosophy, they always play catch up with trends one generation later (switching to discs.. in 2001, CD playback.. in 2006, DVD playback.. actually never, unless you want to do some modding first). Given that the NX is ditching discs and going to a cartridge/digital format, this could actually work for them next time.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Specially Cork wrote:It's a shame, because if they did have that third party support I'd bin off Playstation in an instant
That's pretty much the thing though isn't it, if Nintendo had full 3rd party support why would anyone need a Playstation or an Xbox? Sony and MS have made 3rd parties the core of their business for this very reason.