Shenmue 1&2 HD "coming this year" (April Fools!)

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Shenmue 1&2 HD "coming this year" (April Fools!)

Post by Specially Cork »

This is absolutely amazing news, also April fools.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: Shenmue 1&2 HD "coming this year"

Post by cube_b3 »

I was browsing for an April fool joke only.
Thanks.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Guys I've decided to start work on Shenmue 3 HD myself if Sega aren't prepared to take the cash of all 6 of us. I know a good amount of HTML, and have played both of the previous games in the series so I feel I'm uniquely suited for such a task. Please keep a close eye on this thread as I expect to have this ready in the next month or so.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Project's cancelled due to lack of interest.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Guys:

After a long, inspiring discussion with soully, I've decided to take the reigns on Shenmue 3. Tensions were high. words were used that I wasn't familiar with but could absolutely distinguish as sweaty obscenities thanks to my HP webcam. I beat Shenmue on the Dreamcast a number of times, probably twice. I even bought Shenmue 2 for the Xbox but never really put more than an hour into it. I have a stomach virus so I'll probably be out of work for a couple of days. As long as I can keep my Nyquil intake to a moderately dangerous amount, and there isn't a Pawn Stars marathon on, I'm very hopeful that this time allotted to me will dig me out of this horribly violent state of depression.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Have any of you ever considered that there is no Shenmue 3 because Shenmue 1 and 2 were shit and nobody played them? Because they were shit? Also, it would be made by 2013 Sega, which means it would be even more shit and probably have multidimensional Weresailors or something.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

About 6 months ago I went back to Shenmue and quite enjoyed it. I couldn't dedicate the time to it I did when I was a teenager to fully immerse myself in it, but it was still just as fun. I find it interesting people said the game was boring for how many people you had to talk to, yet that's what games are changing into now with LA Noire and Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Mass effect is a superior game in regards to talking/character development than shenmue was. But in essence it was the same type of game that focused on building the world around you in an over the top visual novel. Not an argument of any sorts, but just something I find a bit interesting.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I had a strange experience with Shenmue this year.

I made my 12 year old brother have a go at it. I assumed we the players have evolved and are now capable of navigating even larger maps, but back when Shenmue came out Navigating such a massive city without an in game map was pretty hard.

Funny enough, my younger brother couldn't find Sumiya San, just like I couldn't find her house 12 years ago.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Shenmue 1&2 HD "coming this year" (April Fools!)

Post by |darc| »

I'm playing through it right now, just got to disc 3.

Sure, the game has some boring, tedious parts. And the controls could be much better by modern standards. And the English dub is quite... off.

But it's still an excellent game far ahead of its time. Sure, we can laugh at those who still clamor for a sequel, but if a sequel were done nowadays surely it would be a modern game with a new engine designed for today's consoles, no? A new game in this series seriously has tons of a potential, and although it will likely never happen, I would really love to see it.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

As someone who never owned a SNES or an original Playstation I'd never really known games with a story, so Shenmue was the first time I really got involved with the narrative of a game and the first time I ever felt - in any sense - emotionally connected to a video game. Now, there's been many games that have done this since (including several of those old games I missed and eventually went back to) - but Shenmue was my Final Fantasy VII. A game that drew me into its world with more than just gameplay and opened my eyes to what the medium was capable of.

On top of that - it's the reason I've spent so much of my life in Asia. It gave me an interest in that area of the world and that interest in-turn led me to where I am now. Perhaps it's going a bit too far to credit Yu Suzuki with giving me a job, wife and son...but it definitely gave me an itch I could never quite begin to scratch until I flew on my own to Japan that first time.

That's why, despite so many flaws, it will always hold a special place in my heart. :hearteyes: :woody: :melorfacial: :rolf: And why, I want fucking closure.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I was not a stranger to good story telling. I may have never played any Final Fantasy game.
But I played Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium before Shenmue.

I may have also finished Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia before Shenmue.

The experience as Boney mentioned was still unprecedented, I haven't played Shenmue 2. I own it, it was very difficult I actually had to fly to London and buy it. But by the time I got it, between 5 - 10 years ago. Graphically the game didn't hold up. It was completely in Japanese and I just haven't gotten around to it.

The closure doesn't matter to me, I think the conclusion will be very similar to Sonic Adventure. I think it is the journey and the experience that made Shenmue what it was. I fully immersed my self in the world of Shenmue, I still remember the names of the residents in Ryo's world. Where they lived, who they interacted with and how the supporting characters evolved as Ryo was doing his thing.

For example the flower shop girl was in a relationship with the Military Surplus dude.
Fuku San was in a relationship with a hostess in a bar in the red light district.
The hostess was apparently even friendly with Ine-San.

Unlike Yakza or other Japanese games which at this point just mean disturbing purvy stories that will involve a phallic monster. Shenmue showed a side of Japan that I fell in love with. The hostess that Fuku san was dating politely told me not to visit such places Ine-San would get worried about me.

Damn, I love Shenmue.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I have only ever played Shenmue II once, on the Xbox, and not for longer than literally 2 minutes.

But I bought it for Dreamcast and I have to say that I am barely a few hours into it and I am far more impressed with it than I ever was with the original. The world is much more massive--at least that's the way it feels so far.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:I have only ever played Shenmue II once, on the Xbox, and not for longer than literally 2 minutes.

But I bought it for Dreamcast and I have to say that I am barely a few hours into it and I am far more impressed with it than I ever was with the original. The world is much more massive--at least that's the way it feels so far.
Just wait until Disc 3. I think it perfectly displays Yu Suzuki's vision and everything Shenmue was capable of. Unfortunately it came 6 discs too late for most gamers to notice.
Maturion
Been thanked: 0

Post by Maturion »

I still don't understand why they don't release a HD remake of Shenmue I/II. Wouldn't be a big deal for SEGA and could bring in some dollars for them.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Sega probably does a lot of internal focus groups and all sorts of research garbage.
It is a billion dollar massive enterprise.

Unfortunately they don't share their research results.

I would have loved to see statistics on Sega Brand Name vs Sonic Brand name, as it was probably in light of that research that they decided to rename Sega Superstars Racing to Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing which sounds terrible and the sequel title sounds weirder Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed. WTF? Why couldn't they just call it Sonic All Stars?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Maturion wrote:I still don't understand why they don't release a HD remake of Shenmue I/II. Wouldn't be a big deal for SEGA and could bring in some dollars for them.
I'd love an HD version, thing is - these are never remakes, just remasters. Sharper graphics aren't going to do anything to help the clunky, dated controls which would probably be too much effort to fix.

Ive gotta be realistic - this thing is going to get nailed with 5/10 reviews, and just leave Sega with another embarrassment.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Shouldn't a competitive price and appropriate marketing combat that?

It is all about consumer behavior, if a company has a good track record (which Sega does for a couple of years) reviewers will look favorably on a game regardless of quality. When the company isn't doing well even good games maybe reviewed unfavorably.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:if a company has a good track record (which Sega does for a couple of years)
What world do you live in?
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

The one composed of Sonic games :P
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:Shouldn't a competitive price and appropriate marketing combat that?

It is all about consumer behavior, if a company has a good track record (which Sega does for a couple of years) reviewers will look favorably on a game regardless of quality. When the company isn't doing well even good games maybe reviewed unfavorably.
This just simply isn't true.