E3 2011 Opinions

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

E3 2011 Opinions

Post by Nico0020 »

So its the evening of the first day of E3, what does anyone think about....well anything.

Personally I really wish microsoft would just leave my dashboard alone. Every time they touch it, it runs worse, has more advertisements, more garbage, and takes more times to get to my games I want to play.

Look at this home channel. I assume this is what I will see when I boot up my xbox (well maybe, currently it goes to a "spotlight" channel that just shows me Ads for stuff.)
So a gigantic advertisement for a movie in the center, with two smaller advertisements on the right. And on the left in a small box I see what is in my disc drive and a link to my game library. Enough with the Ads, ugh.

I am all for the Halo CE re-release in HD with xbox live support. That's a nice treat, but the fact that they are making a new trilogy of Halo4,5,6 I think i'm pretty much done. I think Bungie made a good line of games over the past 10 years, and i'll stop there too. In a few years I can see there being "Halo XIII-2," and thats not funny cause it's probably true.

Kinect BS I don't care about.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Klonoa
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Re: E3 2011 Opinions

Post by Klonoa »

Hmm I knew I was going to like the next PSP but woaaah, seeing SFxT makes me glad I'll be picking one up!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

So far...

The good:

- Skyrim looks mindblowing
- Bioshock Infinite looks awesome
- Amazingly, Tomb Raider looks much better than Uncharted 3
- Voice-controlled Mass Effect 3 looks great
- If PS Vita gets the games, that price-point gives it a good chance of upsetting the 3DS

The bad:

- Fable: The Journey marking the tombstone at the end of the series' downfall with an on-rails Kinect thing
- Star Wars Kinect looks awful
- Far too much Kinect and Move
- Too much 2012
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Skyrim looks awesome. But those games are too complicated for me. I'll invest a ton of hours but not really ever finish a lot of stuff in the game. I get bored and forget what I am doing. Regardless of my own failings with them they are awesome and I'm glad to see this one looking just as good.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The HD MGS bundle is a great idea ruined by only having half the games. Ideally MG and MG2 should also be included, but leaving them out at least sort of makes sense.

I wonder how much money Sony is spending to allow that $250 price point.

Microsoft needs to stop fucking "reinventing" the 360 dashboard. The new one looks like it's nothing but a marketing tactic for Windows 8 (i.e. give 360 the same interface style to get people used to it).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

So far I think BoneyCork summed it all up nicely.

Now I'm just waiting for Nintendo to shock the world with GameCube 3, a.k.a. Wii HD.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

So...yeah...Wii-U...

Hardware-wise I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, but personally I really wanted to see Nintendo quitting while they're ahead and moving away from the "casual/lifestyle" market, because I don't think it's going to reward them in the same way that it did with the Wii. I think Nintendo will find it a challenge to get those casual Wii owners to cough up $200ish for another Wii product; there won't be any human interest stories to drive hype, the gameplay experience isn't hugely unique, and most casual Wii owners I know consider it an impulse purchase that isn't getting a whole lot of use anymore.

I hoped they would have another shot at the hardcore market, and to be fair, the 3rd party support is there (for the short-term at least), but we're already looking at 2012 releases of 2011 games, an absence of AAA titles, and possible abandonment once the next xbox/playstation consoles appear. Maybe that seems a long way off, but so is 2012.

And on that note, Sony won't have any problem getting this functionality up and running between PS3 and Vita - probably before Wii-U makes it out the door.

Like the original Wii, this is a big risk and I commend NIntendo for taking it, but I just don't think it will pay off this time. Many were asking what Nintendo should do next. This isn't the answer.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

BoneyCork wrote:Many were asking what Nintendo should do next. This isn't the answer.
I disagree. The only thing I didn't like was the name. Since the Dreamcast, I have longed for another controller with a built in screen. After 12 years, it seems we're getting that back, but on another level. I quite like the many uses it can serve. At the end of the day, I don't want to replace my controller, I just want to enhance my gaming experience. I was hoping developers would do that with the Kinect, but so far it's been a barrage of crap.

Console wise, it's exactly what I expected; small, cheap and efficient. At least we'll have 1080p now, with graphics being nearly as good as the 360 and PS3. I'm happy with that, it's what I wanted from the Wii since the beginning.
Last edited by DanteJay on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

When I first saw the controller for Wii U (worst name for a system ever) I thought it was an absolute clusterfuck. But the more I think about it, the more I can really get on board with it. It is just a traditional controller with a massive touchscreen, no motion controls! I was thinking Id never buy another Nintendo system again because they would always be motion controlled, but my faith may have been restored in Nintendo.

Also going to have to buy a 3DS again before the end of the year. The launch has been terribly dismal (leading me to return it to help pay for a guitar), but the holiday lineup has everything that made me want one in the first place (except Paper Mario). I also love that they are going to revisit Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS, I thought the first one was great. There is also supposed to be a new Smash Bros game for both systems, but after the highly disappointing Brawl Im definitely not going out to buy it the first day.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

mrandyk wrote:When I first saw the controller for Wii U (worst name for a system ever) I thought it was an absolute clusterfuck. But the more I think about it, the more I can really get on board with it. It is just a traditional controller with a massive touchscreen, no motion controls!
But see, Nintendo is still continuing with the motion controls. Essentially, this is a graphically improved Wii, with the addition of what I'm hoping is a fantastic new controller. And marketing wise, the new controller is the main focus. (side note: I believe they said it also has an accelerometer/tilt control functions built in.) Nintendo's main point now is: All the hardware is there, now lets see the developers use it to create what they want.

I think the problem with the Wii was that developers thought all games needed to incorporate motion controls, because that was the only appeal of the system. Now, it's moving past that, giving them the freedom to do exactly what they want.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

That controller is begging to be hacked. As for the system itself, my feeling right now is that I'll think about it in 2-3 years when there's actually a Zelda game on it.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

It looks expensive. And picture the 3DS playing along with it all. Actually portables seem to be their hardcore niche now. Fuck Nintendo.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I'm extremely let down. All this talk about Nintendo returning to its base for hardcore gamers and making a traditional console again had my hopes sky-high. Is the Wii U cool? Very. But it's a rounded Wii with a new controller... that doesn't even have joysticks. Really. That's a deal breaker for me. Good luck trying a FPS with those PSP-sliders.

I haven't seen any hardware specs yet, but if I had to guess, it's likely not much more powerful than a PS3 or 360.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:But it's a rounded Wii with a new controller... that doesn't even have joysticks. Really. That's a deal breaker for me. Good luck trying a FPS with those PSP-sliders.
It can't be any worse than the N64 analog stick. :P
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I'm disappointed with the Wii-U to say the least. It looks like it has a lot of potential, but from the demo video they put together it looks like they will waste that potential. They showed just a bunch of "casual" bullshit that didn't even look fun, but awkward to even see done. I was happy with the zelda footage, but I know not to get excited about zelda e3 footage. Really, I'd like to see some solid 1st party titles that don't involve motion controls or any stupid shit like that. I just want to use a fucking controller to play a game and I don't feel like that is too much to ask.

I do like the controller for the Wii-U (aside from the motion controls/other bullshit) and nintendo is great at making comfortable controllers. Some reviewers said it felt like holding a beefed up gamecube controller so thats pretty great to hear. I just hope a lot of games don't make you do stupid shit with the controller. I like that the potential exist with it (I think it could be great for a pokemon snap sequel), but I don't want to see it abused the same way the wii-mote has been.

Honestly, I really hope to see this console actually get legit 3rd party support. It'd be great to see games come out on it along side the current consoles. Also, I'd love to see some exclusives for it that are long times coming. Such as seeing some square-enix exclusives for it, NIS, and other great devs like them. I'm disappointed for now, but that could change... I just don't feel like it will. I don't see my self getting one any time soon regardless of what happens. I see it as a possible purchase in 2-3 years, but that really depends on a lot of factors.

Everything I've mentioned + actually having decent online capabilities would do that for me. The console includes a mic+camera so that makes me think they might be *finally* wising up somewhat. I know they want to be kid friendly and all that shit, but having friend codes is a shitty fucking system and the entire online experience with the wii has been bullshit. I think they should have friendcodes as a parental option, but something more like xbox live/psn for regular usage. It would actually work out pretty nice and hopefully (who am I kidding) keep some of the younger kids away from playing.

some questions about the system though

The optical disc aren't blurays (well, are they, but not just "standard" so they don't have to pay those fees)?

The USB storage option can be used for downloaded games and such or am I just confused about that?
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I think it will have strong(ish) 3rd-party support out of the gate, but only from the obvious developers (EA, Ubi etc.) That's just the bread and butter though. You need a nice slice of Rockstar, Bioware, Bethesda etc. to make it a sandwich worth buying - at least for the hardcore gaming crowd.

But why are people so happy that Nintendo are finally releasing a console as powerful as its competitors 6 years late? Where's it going to stand in 3 years time?
The only thing I didn't like was the name. Since the Dreamcast, I have longed for another controller with a built in screen. After 12 years, it seems we're getting that back, but on another level.
Nah. You're getting a screen with buttons added on. I reckon they'll run $100/each too. The screenshot of one person with the screen and everyone else using Wiimotes was all I needed to know; they don't think buying 4 of them is a viable option. In fact, the possibilities of having multiple Wii-U controllers are far more interesting than the crap they were showing off, but left completely unexplored.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BoneyCork wrote:Nah. You're getting a screen with buttons added on. I reckon they'll run $100/each too. The screenshot of one person with the screen and everyone else using Wiimotes was all I needed to know; they don't think buying 4 of them is a viable option. In fact, the possibilities of having multiple Wii-U controllers are far more interesting than the crap they were showing off, but left completely unexplored.
Actually, they don't show multiple screen controllers because it literally cannot do multiple screen controllers. They already announced the controller will not be sold separately. The screen on the controller is just that, a screen. It requires the Wii U to process the video and transmit it wirelessly. I'm guessing it would tax the system too much to render 5 separate images simultaneously, four controllers and the 1080p TV image. So the whole screen controller thing is a single player affair only.

Which means that Nintendo absolutely has to reinvent their online gaming or else this entire system is going to tank. It's a huge gamble, and I hope Nintendo is up to the challenge. I personally think the screen controller is badass, but this time they have to be flawless in their execution or else.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

I think it's an admission that 99.9% of the time, a single person is playing. They may be playing a multiplayer game, but it's against people elsewhere in the world who are also the only person playing on the console. Multiplayer games that allow multiple player on the SAME console are rather scarse and hard to do well. Very few become popular... perhaps Guitar Hero/Band being the biggest exception.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I think I'm just pissed because I enjoy certain Nintendo games, but want Nintendo consoles to offer me PS3/360 games alongside that. Their continued determination to "change the way we play games" won't let that happen. A console with Mario and Zelda on it, but then also Mass Effect and GTA would be fucking awesome. I hoped they'd lean more in that direction this time.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:But it's a rounded Wii with a new controller... that doesn't even have joysticks. Really. That's a deal breaker for me. Good luck trying a FPS with those PSP-sliders.
If you trust IGN..
IGN wrote:Don't make the mistake of thinking these sliders are like the 3DS "circle pad." The texture and top shape of the sliders are much more akin to Wii's nunchuk, meaning the grip and precision of movement are much better.
So hopefully they won't suck.

BoneyCork wrote:Nah. You're getting a screen with buttons added on.
Semantics.
Engadget wrote:In the hand the controller feels light, and it feels comfortable. It's most similar to the old GameCube controller, really, but much wider and with more buttons. There are four face buttons, a D-pad, dual-analog sliders, start, select, and four more 'round the back: ZL, ZR, L, and R. All fall to hand quite readily, even for gamers with bigger mitts. Looking back at ya is a front-facing camera, and there's a plain plastic stylus tucked in the top, so we're certainly looking at a resistive touch display.

I feel pretty optimistic about it. At the very least, I think it's a step in the right direction.