Games of 2011

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Games of 2011

Post by Specially Cork »

So, it's that time of year again when we burn all the games we bought this year because they're old and start fresh for 2011. What are you guys looking forward to? Here are my picks:

LITTLEBIGPLANET 2

The first one was awesome. I'm a huge fan of platformers and letting users create their own and post them online filled the original with fantastic content. As long as they come up with a better way of searching for and discovering stuff I'm expecting this sequel to be amazing.

FINAL FANTASY DISSIDIA 012

I expected the original Dissidia to be a crappy fan-service game, but it turned out to be amazingly well put together and pretty original. It's my most-played game on the PSP. There's some great characters in the sequel and I'm really looking forward to it.

POKEMON BLACK/WHITE

They finally updated the battle system. I'm always up for new Pokeymans games.

MASS EFFECT 3

Not even finished 1 and 2 yet, but these games are amazing and I definitely want to complete the

ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD

I'm gonna buy it, and I'll probably enjoy it - but the title just smells of "gimmick" and I really think the series needs to reinvent itself if Nintendo want to keep Zelda great.

DRAGON AGE 2

I absolutely loved the original. No brainer.

PORTAL 2

I absolutely loved the original. No brainer.

BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL HD

There's a few HD remakes coming out next year. An easy way to make cash? Absolutely - but there's so many PS2 games I'd love to see in HD. Beyond Good & Evil is an amazing game and I can't wait to play it again.

ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM

When I finally "got" what Oblivion was about - I loved it. The promise of more and with a different engine has got me really hyped.

OKAMIDEN

Okami was amazing. I've heard great things about this too.

AR TONELICO III

Been waiting for this one for a while. This franchises mashes up dating-sims and a jrpg to create a very unique game. Now in full 3D I'm expecting good things and huge tits.

VALKYRIA CHRONICLES III

The original is one of my favourite games of all time. The sequel had the gameplay but lacked the story and characters - but it was still good. Sega are pumping out a third and I'll be picking it up.
Specially Cork

Re: Games of 2011

Post by Specially Cork »

Yeah I forgot to mention the 3DS.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Stormwatch »

FAST STRIKER
The Dreamcast is still alive, bitches!

STURMWIND
I said, the Dreamcast is still alive, bitches!

PIER SOLAR
Did I mention that the Mega Drive is alive too? Well, it is, bitches!
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I think Valkyria Chronicles is the best game on the PS3... But, I was sad to see the sequels hit the PSP instead. Probably will never play them, even though I own a PSP.

Mass Effect 3
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Crysis 2
Rage
Battlefield 3
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

3DS
Portal 2
Uncharted 3

Not sure why Littlebigplanet got the acclaim it did. I love platformers but I just couldnt get into it, feel as though I should give it another shot. Also finding it very hard to justify keep my 360 around, especially after another year of no exclusives I give a rat's ass about.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Skyrim, Ghost Trick, and everything on the 3DS. Oh, and Shadow/Ico remake. Everything else sits at a big meh for me.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:I think Valkyria Chronicles is the best game on the PS3... But, I was sad to see the sequels hit the PSP instead. Probably will never play them, even though I own a PSP.
Number 2 was shit. The gameplay was there, but they replaced the story and characters with an "army high school" anime plot that was too retarded and stereotyped even for me.
Not sure why Littlebigplanet got the acclaim it did. I love platformers but I just couldnt get into it, feel as though I should give it another shot.
It was the level design tools and community elements that got it the acclaim. The actual included single-player "campaign" isn't that great.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

BoneyCork wrote:
Not sure why Littlebigplanet got the acclaim it did. I love platformers but I just couldnt get into it, feel as though I should give it another shot.
It was the level design tools and community elements that got it the acclaim. The actual included single-player "campaign" isn't that great.
Well that would make a lot more sense then. I spent most of my time with the game trying to do the included levels.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Three words: The Last Guardian.

I'm also very much looking forward to BioShock: Infinite, LBP2, and the new Elder Scrolls game. But there's nothing I'm as excited about as The Last Guardian.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I don't know if Pier Solar counts as a 2011 title. My copy shipped like a week ago. It's just a matter of the ship time whether I'll get it in 2010 or 2011 (probably 2011 because it's Christmas time, slows everything down). For those interested, supposedly in the next few weeks more copies will become available, but as of now it's sold out (entirely from pre-orders, which is pretty impressive).

The three I'm looking forward to:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The look of the game, based off Baroque paintings (especially Rembrandt) is gorgeous, and the gameplay looks great - they're basically going back to the original game, not Invisible War, and in many ways redoing and upgrading its gameplay. That's a GOOD thing. Also, Eidos is doing the core gameplay - Square Enix is just doing the cut scenes (which, hey, they're good at).

Portal 2 - I loved Portal. I guess almost everyone did.

Mass Effect 3 - I REALLY enjoyed the first two. Possibly my overall favorite games of the current gen.

Yeah, I don't follow too many upcoming games. I usually look backward and occasionally buy heavily discounted titles. I buy relatively close to release probably 5 or 6 titles a year.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Lartrak wrote:I don't know if Pier Solar counts as a 2011 title. My copy shipped like a week ago. It's just a matter of the ship time whether I'll get it in 2010 or 2011 (probably 2011 because it's Christmas time, slows everything down). For those interested, supposedly in the next few weeks more copies will become available, but as of now it's sold out (entirely from pre-orders, which is pretty impressive).
I hope they do get some. I tried to preorder back around September, but they were already sold out.

And I forgot about Last Guardian. That's definitely on my list.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Pfft. Pier Solar. I'll pay $15 for the rom, otherwise, pass. I also want to see some reviews. Hopefully it can stand-up against other 16bit RPGs rather than just sit on your shelf as a novelty indie item.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

There's nothing I'm really looking forward to. I'll pick up ES5 and LBP2 once the price drops but that probably won't be until 2012, and we're all dying that year anyway.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

What... no mention of Diablo 3?

Also looking forward to the mentioned Elder Scrolls.
ImageImageImageImage
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Stryfe wrote:What... no mention of Diablo 3?

Also looking forward to the mentioned Elder Scrolls.

Thats what I forgot~!
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Stryfe wrote:What... no mention of Diablo 3?.
Technically, no 2011 release has been announced :P

I want it, just doubt my computer can handle it.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

BoneyCork wrote:AR TONELICO III

Been waiting for this one for a while. This franchises mashes up dating-sims and a jrpg to create a very unique game. Now in full 3D I'm expecting good things and huge tits.
From what I've played of it (albeit in Japanese, but with a fan translation of the first hour or so, and summary of a lot more than that), its quite enjoyable. It has more than its fair share of fan service even just in the first few hours, so that should satisfy the tits craving there (not to mention the purging aspect of the battle system). Also, it seems to have a bunch of endings, so that's good too...

Oh, and the debug mode was left in in the Japanese version (L2 + Triangle on a map in any Cosmosphere). That can make for some fun (as long as you don't break the game with it, of course).
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Pfft. Pier Solar. I'll pay $15 for the rom, otherwise, pass. I also want to see some reviews. Hopefully it can stand-up against other 16bit RPGs rather than just sit on your shelf as a novelty indie item.
You'll probably get your wish on that one - the creators have pretty heavily implied they'll be trying to get it on Xbox Arcade and what not at some point in the future.

I myself am pretty curious about the quality of the gameplay. At the very least, the music is good and it comes with the soundtrack. And the demo was well-done.

I'm planning to do a video review of it eventually (which will take a while, as I'll have to beat the game first and apparently it's in the 20+ hour range), so you can wait for that.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

To be honest, all I'm looking forward to is Black Mesa and Episode 3.

I don't game much anymore, but will do so for a well crafted Valve game.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

At this point:

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Mass Effect 3