Games of 2010

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Games of 2010

Post by Specially Cork »

Perhaps I'm being a tad early, but there's not a lot else about to come out, and it might help people pick stuff up for Christmas. So what would you choose as the best games of 2010? My picks:

WII: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (an abolute masterpiece in 3D platforming - a genre no other developer cares about anymore)
PS3: Red Dead Redemption (a surprise release that turned out better than GTA4)
PSP: Persona 3 Portable (a solid port with plenty of additions)
DS: Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (an amazing twist on the oldschool RPG)
PC: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (it's the only 2010 PC game I played, and it was pretty good)
OVERALL: Super Mario Galaxy 2

DISAPPOINTMENT(S) OF THE YEAR:
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV
Dragon Quest IX
(A huge congratulations to Square Enix for completely fucking up their 2 biggest franchises this year and falling several miles short of my expectations)
Last edited by Specially Cork on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Games of 2010

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Include a PC list or I'm locking this.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Fuck the games of 2010. I think Portal 2 by itself will be better than this year was.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Include a PC list or I'm locking this.
You can suggest PC games if you want. I just picked games for the platforms I play on.

EDIT: I actually did play a 2010 PC game this year! Added to the list.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Fuck you.

PC: Mass Effect 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Civilization 5 and the best game of 2010, Napoleon: Total War. Either that or ME2.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

I didn't do much gaming this year, but here's my picks for this year in no particular order:

Awesomeness of 2010
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Metroid - Other M
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Rockband 3
Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)

Suckfest of 2010
Allan Wake - Stupid story and stupid controls. Nice graphics when you weren't in the dark, which was half the game. The Roy Orbison songs in the beginning chapter was a nice touch.
I probably would have expressed disappointment with FFXIII, but I was done with the FF series after XII. That was one hell of a painfully slow, boring and overly clichéd game. Even for an FF game. The best character died at the beginning, and I never really got over that.

I will add to the list if I remember anything else this year. Right now I'm going home to watch the big bang theory.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Best
Rock Band 3
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Kirby's Epic Yarn

To be honest, those are the only games from this year that I've played enough to judge. Nothing else appealed to me. I own Fable 3 and Halo Reacharound but played either enough to put them in a Best or Worst list. I don't like Fallout, Mass Effect, Call Of Duty, or Assassin's Creed so it seems I missed out this year.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Halo: Reach.

Begin the flamewar!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

My "best of" would include:
- Mario Galaxy 2 (I have a feeling this one's going to win the poll)
- Uncharted 2
- Kirby's Epic Yarn
- Mod Nation Racers
- Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

I have not yet played Heavy Rain, Fallout: New Vegas, or Red Dead Redemption, but I have a feeling they should be on the list as well. There have been several good downloadable games as well (Scott Pilgrim comes to mind), but I'd be kind of hard pressed to call any of them "best" games of the year. Also as a side note, I do not have an Xbox, and I don't play PC games or (very many) FPS, so anything there will be conspicuously absent from my list.

It's sad that pretty much everything I can think of is a sequel. But then, the last couple of years have been so great that I suppose it's inevitable we'd hit a slowdown at some point. And it doesn't help that a couple of the games I was really looking forward to were pushed into next year, and a few others turned out not to be as amazing as hoped. There have been many games I enjoyed this year, such as Sin & Punishment 2, No More Heroes 2, God of War 3, the new bit.trip games, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and all of the games listed above, but very few of them stack up to the awesomeness we saw in 2008 and 2009.

However, one thing 2010 has done is make me pull out the Wii again, whereas I spent most of last year on the PS3.

Here's to 2011 and The Last Guardian.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Just so you know, Uncharted 2 came out over a year ago. You almost made me change my mind on 2010 with that one, think it was my favorite game of 09 even though I didnt play it till 10.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

mrandyk wrote:Just so you know, Uncharted 2 came out over a year ago. You almost made me change my mind on 2010 with that one, think it was my favorite game of 09 even though I didnt play it till 10.
Crap. Oh well. I only bought it this summer, so I thought it was more recent... but looking at the Wikipedia entry, I guess it was last fall.
Klonoa
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Klonoa »

Awesome:
Vanquish (X360/PS3) - Fast fun intense gunplay.
SSF4 (X360/PS3) - Game I play regularly.
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (PSP) -Lately the PSP has been getting up to PS2 standards. Lots to do and fun boss fights. Entertaining story.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) - Awesome game.

Disappointments:
Bioshock 2: didn't get good until 3/4 of the game and it was pretty forgettable.
Halo Reach''s campaign is really boring. Strange how I enjoyed ODST's but couldn't get into this one.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Klonoa wrote:Halo Reach''s campaign is really boring. Strange how I enjoyed ODST's but couldn't get into this one.
Add me to that list. Actually, ODST is the only Halo game I liked. It's probably because it reminded me of Metroid Prime.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I think PSP and Wii have had a really good 2010. There's been a lot of good games for both. My PS3 unfortunately hasn't done as well.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

All I played this year was

Lost Via Domus X360
Max Payne X-Box
Max Payne 2 X-Box

3 games in one year isn't bad... and if I can get my hands on Alan Wake I'll beat it too.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Hasney wrote:Transformers... on a best of list? DQ9 and Alan Wake on disappointment lists?
Allow me to explain: As much as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen movie was a huge disappointment to me, the War for Cybertron game was the exact opposite. I thought it would suck, but it was surprisingly enjoyable, however short. Maybe it shouldn't be on the best of 2010 list, but imo it was much better than most of this year's games.

Now Allan Wake was a different story all together. I didn't really have any expectations, since I wasn't familiar with it. I came across it and thought I'd give it a chance. I must say that the game started off really well. It was eerie, captivating, had nice graphics and great dialogue. In my opinion the problem with it was that it became very repetitive, very quickly. I didn't really enjoy the play mechanics, and I hated the constant battling in the dark. Above all else, the predictability was painful. So a 1/4 into the game, I found myself playing for the satisfaction of beating it, rather than walking away, all the while hoping it would improve or shock me. It didn't. To summarize, it felt like a polished game that wasn't very fun.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Hasney wrote:DQ9 and Alan Wake on disappointment lists?
Go play DQ8 then pretend you played it first.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Honestly, the only game that actually sticks out in my mind as being incredible is Mario Galaxy 2. I still haven't gotten around to playing New Vegas and I'm only 1/3 through Assassin's Creed. Most of my year has been spent playing retro games.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I got pretty bored with New Vegas. The changes were good, but the original game was better overall.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

BoneyCork wrote:I got pretty bored with New Vegas. The changes were good, but the original game was better overall.

I don't know. I think as nostalgic as the original is, the graphics and level of interaction of New Vegas far surpass that experience.