New Vegas

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New Vegas

Post by not just souLLy now » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:01 am

Okay, literally only an hour in but I can already feel that this is going to take over my life again, how are you guys finding it?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Re: New Vegas

Post by Jeeba Jabba » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:03 am

I'm in love. Primarily due to how many different ways you can alter the end battle in relation to factions' rep.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Specially Cork » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:22 am

I spent over 100 hours on Fallout 3 and loved every minute of it but...I completely burnt out. I think I'm gonna end up buying this anyway, but could anyone give me some reasons to make me want to spent another huge chunk of my life in the wasteland? Is this game just literally more of the exact same for people who want more?
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:43 am

I started Fallout 3, seemed like it would be a great game but I simply couldnt find motivation to play it. But I have a friend who says its his favorite game this generation but was so displeased with New Vegas he sold it two days after its release. Im actually a bit surprised to see that all replies in the thread so far are positive.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:29 am

Hasney wrote:Love it, bit can't complete a story quest because of a bug. Gonna have to wait for the patches and hope I don't have to restart my game...
Aaaah the bugs, so it has begun....

You might want to try asking about the issue here: http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php ... l-support/

They might have some type of workaround. It's the forums for the most dedicated fansite for the Bethesda games.
ImageImageImageImage
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:40 am

I'm a huge fallout fan, and I loved 3 to pieces... and let me say this... New Vegas is WAY better.

The foremost mega-super-ultimate reason? Nothing levels up with you... There is easy prey... and there are areas that have a "KEEP OUT" sign for a reason. There's no wandering around at level 5 with no fear of dying...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:36 am

Jeeba Jabba wrote:I'm a huge fallout fan, and I loved 3 to pieces... and let me say this... New Vegas is WAY better.

The foremost mega-super-ultimate reason? Nothing levels up with you... There is easy prey... and there are areas that have a "KEEP OUT" sign for a reason. There's no wandering around at level 5 with no fear of dying...
Something the reviews I read didn't touch on. I'll definitely be getting it now. I hate games where enemies level up with me. That's not levelling up, it's just unlocking skills.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:03 pm

I can't imagine why anyone who loved Fallout 3 would utterly hate New Vegas, it's not different enough to warrant that kind of a reaction.
Immediate differences for me:
- The dialogue and writing is noticeably better and there's a fair bit more dark comedy
- The fact that a lot of items that restore health have a delay on their effect really altered how to fight, you can't be gung-ho then top up with food items just before you die, that 5 second delay before you get topped up can make a huge difference
- I preferred the Washington monuments and music from 3

I've had my game freeze once in the 6 or so hours of gaming so far which isn't great, but I can feel the addiction creeping in, exploring one more room or doing one more quest task...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Not so much as a single drop in the framerate on PC... After playing the horridness of 3 on both consoles, and then on PC.. I knew I wouldn't be testing those waters again this time around.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:52 pm

not just souLLy now wrote: - I preferred the Washington monuments and music from 3.

In all honesty, while New Vegas may be much more fine-tuned and better, I was much much much more motivated to explore more extensively, and play for longer periods of time in Fallout 3 due to the setting... Exploring the Mojave could never be as exciting as the National Mall...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:37 pm

It's funny because I went to the midnight release of New Vegas and sprung for the collector's edition, but I still haven't played it yet. I just know that once I start, I'll never play anything else for months. I was tied up with Fallout 3 for at least 4 months. And since this is the biggest holiday season for games that I've seen in at least 3 years, I don't want to miss out on the other games that interest me. I'm probably going to start once I beat Assassin's Creed Brotherhood next month.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:31 am

I bought it, 8 hours in so far and I'm hooked. There seems to be a more controlled progression through the map this time, which I like. The original fed you to Megaton, where the quests sent you every which way. A lot of the quests seem to have more meat to them too. I've already had some pretty awesome battles early on - I just wish the AI wasn't so shit. There's another problem they haven't fixed too - VATS completely ruins those moments where somebody suddenly turns on you. Instant headshots from point-blank range. It's a nice system, but it's far too good at being a panic button when you're caught off-guard.

Also...disguises. The whole thing seems really tacked on. If I dress up as a powder ganger, I shouldn't be able to speak to a shady merchant and listen to him tell me about how he's actually a bounty hunter waiting to kill any powder gangers that walk by. I also walked into the wrong room with the disguise on and started getting shot at by key people. All I had to do was change clothes outside the door and they forgot all about it. It's not a major thing, but it needs work.

Also, and this is no way a knock on the awesomeness of New Vegas, but I never want to see another open-world game with the Gamebryo engine. It needs to die now.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Sorta spoilery
Yesterday I fucked a zombie in a cowboy costume and a robot. This game is incredible.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:42 pm

BoneyCork wrote:I bought it, 8 hours in so far and I'm hooked. There seems to be a more controlled progression through the map this time, which I like. The original fed you to Megaton, where the quests sent you every which way.

There was no Megaton in the original. ;)
VATS completely ruins those moments where somebody suddenly turns on you. Instant headshots from point-blank range. It's a nice system, but it's far too good at being a panic button when you're caught off-guard.
It's an RPG.
Also, and this is no way a knock on the awesomeness of New Vegas, but I never want to see another open-world game with the Gamebryo engine. It needs to die now.
Agreed.

I've just about stuck a fork in the game for now. After about 40 hours of gameplay, having beaten the main quest every possible way, and having gotten all the best armors (Enclave APA from Fallout 2 ftw) and weapons (Gauss Rifle, Anti-Material, etc), dealt with every possible faction who could affect the outcome at the Hoover (nothing like having NCR ranger vets, BoS, Enclave all at your back... and the Boomers bombing the Dam with the B-29)... Kind of bored. I think I've done about 40 quests total. Not sure.

Now the wait for some good mods and expansion packs.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:29 am

No mods for me. I can't even sign-in to PSN from China anymore let alone buy and download stuff. Pretty pissed because I want Beyond Good & Evil HD next year.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:42 pm

BoneyCork wrote:No mods for me. I can't even sign-in to PSN from China anymore let alone buy and download stuff. Pretty pissed because I want Beyond Good & Evil HD next year.

I reeeeeeeeeeeaally want Shadow of the Colossus HD.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:48 am

I haven't played it a great deal just yet, but thus far I'm finding the quests a lot less involving and motivating to complete than I did in Fallout 3. I think a lot of this is because thus far practically everyone I talk to has very little to say before suddenly springing a quest on me. There's no attempt at emotional buildup in the storylines, and all the quests so far have been very quick or boring fetch quests. But, as I said, I'm really not too far into the game - just a few hours. Still it's impressive how banal almost all the characters and storyline stuff thus far has been.

Also, the game runs WAY worse than Fallout 3 did. Fallout 3 ran basically perfectly on my PC, and New Vegas runs very poorly at certain times (and this despite the game itself detecting my hardware as good enough for "Ultra" settings - quad core with 8 gigs of RAM and a GTX 260 superclocked). Even the "good" moments in frame rate aren't as good as Fallout 3, which ran basically a constant 60 FPS on this machine. And of course, whatever graphical updates they did - I don't even notice any of them. Looks about the same as Fallout 3, down to the simply AWFUL animations. God the animations suck so bad. I'd have vastly preferred, say, Half-Life 2 level models and look with GOOD animations to what both games have. Biggest plus: my mouse feels a lot more accurate in New Vegas than it did in Fallout 3.

I'm hoping the game gets better as I get a little further into it. After all, I still haven't gotten to New Vegas, so I figure I'm way short of the really good stuff.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.