PSP2 is real, MK devs still retarded

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: PSP2 is real, MK devs still retarded

Post by Specially Cork »

I'm looking forward to a PSP2 vs 3DS war - this current handheld generation has been fantastic, with craploads of decent exlusive games on both platforms. It's also, due to my current lifestyle, where my gaming heart lies right now.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Unfortunately every time some idiot runs around screaming about how the iPhone is the future of handheld gaming, they're putting weight behind the shift away from physical media. The download-only option wasn't the PSPGo's problem - it was the lack of free upgrading and game availability. If you could've traded in UMDs for downloads, and got access to every game - I believe the machine would've done quite well.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

Boxes and discs takes too much space, but some digital distribution systems have still not solved problems like the lack of an independent way to backup or transfer games and saves from a device to another, and the lack of a market for used games, which makes it impossible to buy games who gets cut from the digital distribution system (like some early Live Arcade games).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

When game consoles/handhelds move to digitial only, thats when I am going to start to pirate everything. I wont support it. Sadly I am supporting digital distribution now by buying XBLA games. At this point I can justify 10 dollars for a old pc/console port or a small game. But there is no way I am paying MSRP for a title with no box,disc,manual that I can not resell or loose access to when steam/xbox/playstation/nintendo decide not to support their old platform anymore.

I'm already burned on this a bit. My 2006 360 just died for the 2nd time, but this time it's out of warranty. So I picked up one of the clearanced arcade machines and slapped my old HDD on it. But since my xbox1 DLC was tied to my old console ID, it doesn't work on the new console. 360 DLC supports licence transfer, but the xbox1 games do not. So that DLC is just gone, and there is nothing I can do about it because MS decided to no longer support their xbox1 online platform.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Hasney wrote:There are rumors that the 3DS will have some type of install system for it's carts. That is easily the bees of both worlds.
Man, I really hope that is true as that would be amazing.
Nico0020 wrote:When game consoles/handhelds move to digitial only, thats when I am going to start to pirate everything. I wont support it. Sadly I am supporting digital distribution now by buying XBLA games. At this point I can justify 10 dollars for a old pc/console port or a small game. But there is no way I am paying MSRP for a title with no box,disc,manual that I can not resell or loose access to when steam/xbox/playstation/nintendo decide not to support their old platform anymore.

I'm already burned on this a bit. My 2006 360 just died for the 2nd time, but this time it's out of warranty. So I picked up one of the clearanced arcade machines and slapped my old HDD on it. But since my xbox1 DLC was tied to my old console ID, it doesn't work on the new console. 360 DLC supports licence transfer, but the xbox1 games do not. So that DLC is just gone, and there is nothing I can do about it because MS decided to no longer support their xbox1 online platform.
That reallly sucks, but does bring up a valid point with a very valid example. What kind of sucks is that I would love a digital distribution system, but I am never going to support one that uses certain types of DRM - such as phone home DRM ala zune/ubisoft games. Now, at the same time I try to live my life with minimal clutter and cds/dvds do not fit into that life style so most of my stuff is pirated. In a way I almost hate to do it, but it is just infinitely more accessible than any legal means of obtaining my media. On my DS I have a gba flash cart and a DS flash cart inserted at all time, but if nintendo allowed you to back your games up to the actual handheld? Well, that would be equally as convenient as a flash cart so I would have no problem going that route.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Do you reaaaaallly need installed games on the 3DS? It's not like there are loading problems with carts... nor is storing those tiny things any kind of hassle whatsoever. You could literally have about 50 games in your pocket and not feel anything.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Yeah, I do need that. The reason is those carts are so damn tiny that they are really really easy to loose. I've owned a few DS carts, but I don't think I actually could find any of them any more. Aside from that it really just comes down to connivence - sure, they are not that big, but if I can carry less it is welcomed.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I'm fine with the premise of digital distribution. Without wanting to promote piracy (I buy my games dammit) - it's hard to argue against the convenience of loading all your games onto a single memory stick or flash cart and never having to worry about anything.

The problem is, those are .nds and .iso files that can move with me forever. If digital distribution were the same, I'd happily pay for it. It seems like a huge ask for games publishers to sell files like this - but we got there with music.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

BoneyCork wrote:I'm fine with the premise of digital distribution. Without wanting to promote piracy (I buy my games dammit) - it's hard to argue against the convenience of loading all your games onto a single memory stick or flash cart and never having to worry about anything.

The problem is, those are .nds and .iso files that can move with me forever. If digital distribution were the same, I'd happily pay for it. It seems like a huge ask for games publishers to sell files like this - but we got there with music.
Exactly with you on how important it is to be able to play without asking for permission, but the difference is that there was never a commercially successful DRM scheme for music that worked with most portable players. Consoles don't have that problem, as the DRM scheme is part of the platform, and that's been true for so long that it's considered normal for consoles now. I think the fight to get unencumbered games is going to be a lot longer and more difficult.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Zealous zerotype wrote:Yeah, I do need that. The reason is those carts are so damn tiny that they are really really easy to loose. I've owned a few DS carts, but I don't think I actually could find any of them any more. Aside from that it really just comes down to connivence - sure, they are not that big, but if I can carry less it is welcomed.
I always just keep mine in flash memory card wallet. The thing is like 2.5" by 1.5" and holds six. But, I don't every carry portables around with me everywhere I go, like some people do - I play at home or on car/plane trips and what have you. If I did, I'd totally understand why people would really want an install/download only option. I think the ideal for me on the 3DS would be if it could install on the system, also run off the card, and allow saves to be transferred between cards and the system storage. That'd be awesome, best of all worlds.

But yeah, I'll never buy any console that is pure download only. Just not gonna happen. I'm pretty sure Nintendo isn't going to go that route for at least one more generation after this one though - their infrastructure support doesn't seem strong enough, and a big part of their demographic (parents, younger kids, etc) may not like it.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Lartrak wrote:I'm pretty sure Nintendo isn't going to go that route for at least one more generation after this one though - their infrastructure support doesn't seem strong enough, and a big part of their demographic (parents, younger kids, etc) may not like it.
Also, going download-only practically requires a hard drive, and that means a considerable bump in the parts cost and power/heat/size budget of the system.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BoneyCork wrote:Unfortunately every time some idiot runs around screaming about how the iPhone is the future of handheld gaming, they're putting weight behind the shift away from physical media.
The big difference is that I never paid more than $5 for an iPhone game, whereas PSP games almost never go lower than $20 on the store. And I've played $5 iPhone games that have put most PSP games to shame.

Honestly, the best digital distribution I've used is Steam. The games can be installed on any computer I want and I can redownload them whenever I like. And they typically have sales on games at a fraction of their retail counterparts. I've bought so many awesome games on Steam at such crazy low prices that it almost has moved me to being completely digital download on the PC.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

melancholy wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:Unfortunately every time some idiot runs around screaming about how the iPhone is the future of handheld gaming, they're putting weight behind the shift away from physical media.
The big difference is that I never paid more than $5 for an iPhone game, whereas PSP games almost never go lower than $20 on the store. And I've played $5 iPhone games that have put most PSP games to shame.

Honestly, the best digital distribution I've used is Steam. The games can be installed on any computer I want and I can redownload them whenever I like. And they typically have sales on games at a fraction of their retail counterparts. I've bought so many awesome games on Steam at such crazy low prices that it almost has moved me to being completely digital download on the PC.
The major problem I have with steam is how we'll lose everything we have on it if the service ever goes away. It's not a possibility any time soon, but I play games made before I was born, and I'd like to still be able to play my steam games when I'm middle aged. Piracy is probably the answer. :P
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

melancholy wrote:

Agreed entirely. The amazingly great service that is Steam has completely halted all of my old PC Game pirating habits, due primarily to really good prices and phenomenal download speeds. On the morning of the 21st, I could've waited a day and found a good copy of Civilization 5 via a torrent, but I just dropped the 50 bucks and had the game downloading in less than 30 minutes, at 2 mb/s. Their software is top-notch, and the all-too-often blowout sales on large packages of games have me hooked as a regular customer. Not to mention, as an avid PC gamer, it feels good to support the platform.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe