PS Jailbreak Finally Hacks PS3 (allegedly)

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PS Jailbreak Finally Hacks PS3 (allegedly)

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Kmeaw's Firmware is the best one to use right now. It can run signed/unsigned pkg files.

Also, the reason bricks were happening was mostly due to that cfw having built in lvl2 patching. The way it works now is you install the cfw (over the ofw not a different cwf) and then run a lvl2 patcher. Sometimes it will freeze, but no risk of bricking using this method. I have not tried them yet, but I've heard the backup managers now do auto lvl2 patching so you don't even have to do that anymore. This firmware is safe and running the backups using it is also safe.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

It's starting to look like I'm the only person left that hasn't installed CFW. Am I the only person afraid of Sony's banhammer? I can't imagine games like Demon's Souls and LittleBigPlanet without PSN...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Luriden wrote:It's starting to look like I'm the only person left that hasn't installed CFW. Am I the only person afraid of Sony's banhammer? I can't imagine games like Demon's Souls and LittleBigPlanet without PSN...
The fact that LBP is so tied into PSN is the main reason that I never bought it in the first place. I don't like the idea of a central authority having control over all the user-made content (and one that has shown willingness to censor "inappropriate" levels). I'd be all over it if someone hacked it to recognize alternate servers.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Ive never once used the PSN in the 6 months Ive had a PS3 so I am not worried about it at all.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
Luriden wrote:It's starting to look like I'm the only person left that hasn't installed CFW. Am I the only person afraid of Sony's banhammer? I can't imagine games like Demon's Souls and LittleBigPlanet without PSN...
The fact that LBP is so tied into PSN is the main reason that I never bought it in the first place. I don't like the idea of a central authority having control over all the user-made content (and one that has shown willingness to censor "inappropriate" levels). I'd be all over it if someone hacked it to recognize alternate servers.
This forum has a central authority with control over all user-made content and has shown willingness to censor inappropriate posts.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I don't know if anyone else noticed this already (I only noticed it a couple of hours ago), but the PSP's keys have been released as well. Currently, it looks like you can sign your own executables and run anything you like on there. On any firmware version, and any hardware revision including the PSP Go.

The PSP's crypto system isn't nearly as complex as the PS3's. Basically, if you have the keys needed to decrypt something or verify a signature, you could use those same keys to encrypt something, or generate your own signature.

It's kept "secure" by having all the crypto stuff performed by a custom crypto chip, which has the keys embedded in it. You can't extract the keys, and the chip won't allow you to encrypt your own data, or generate your own signatures.

Except... someone found the PSP's keys embedded inside the PS3's firmware. Whoops...

I don't know what those keys were even doing there, but that's a pretty stupid mistake. Easily as stupid as using a constant value instead of a random number to generate ECDSA signatures. If you're using symmetric crypto, you NEVER distribute your keys to anyone you don't trust. EVER.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

BlackAura wrote:I don't know if anyone else noticed this already (I only noticed it a couple of hours ago), but the PSP's keys have been released as well. Currently, it looks like you can sign your own executables and run anything you like on there. On any firmware version, and any hardware revision including the PSP Go.

The PSP's crypto system isn't nearly as complex as the PS3's. Basically, if you have the keys needed to decrypt something or verify a signature, you could use those same keys to encrypt something, or generate your own signature.

It's kept "secure" by having all the crypto stuff performed by a custom crypto chip, which has the keys embedded in it. You can't extract the keys, and the chip won't allow you to encrypt your own data, or generate your own signatures.

Except... someone found the PSP's keys embedded inside the PS3's firmware. Whoops...

I don't know what those keys were even doing there, but that's a pretty stupid mistake. Easily as stupid as using a constant value instead of a random number to generate ECDSA signatures. If you're using symmetric crypto, you NEVER distribute your keys to anyone you don't trust. EVER.
Once the Sony lawsuit thing is over and people are done releasing the big guns for PS3, hopefully they'll move to PSP. I have a PSP-3000 which means I have to keep my PSP in sleep mode in order for it to stay modded, which is a pain in the ass. I know some form of CFW came out soon after the keys were released, but it has low compatibility with everything, and if I'm not mistaken, nothing else has been released.

I'm sure a PSP emulator for PS3 will pop up at some point as well. That would be nice. I have a component TV out cable for my PSP but it isn't nearly long enough to sit somewhere convenient and play PSP on my TV, as shitty as it looks.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Luriden wrote:
BlackAura wrote:I don't know if anyone else noticed this already (I only noticed it a couple of hours ago), but the PSP's keys have been released as well. Currently, it looks like you can sign your own executables and run anything you like on there. On any firmware version, and any hardware revision including the PSP Go.

Once the Sony lawsuit thing is over and people are done releasing the big guns for PS3, hopefully they'll move to PSP. I have a PSP-3000 which means I have to keep my PSP in sleep mode in order for it to stay modded, which is a pain in the ass. I know some form of CFW came out soon after the keys were released, but it has low compatibility with everything, and if I'm not mistaken, nothing else has been released.

I'm sure a PSP emulator for PS3 will pop up at some point as well. That would be nice. I have a component TV out cable for my PSP but it isn't nearly long enough to sit somewhere convenient and play PSP on my TV, as shitty as it looks.
I don't know if you can ever do this on a 3000 model, but before my psp got stolen I had a firmware mod that when it was plugged into a usb port it could output to my tv. It also let me use a controller so I would play my psp games at home on my tv with an xbox controller.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

You mean remotejoylite. I hook my PSP up to output video via USB to my PC, then hook my PC up to my HDTV via VGA (no HDMI on my computer). Then I control it all with a PC bluetooth controller. It's an amazing app/plugin and works with PSP-1/2/3000.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

http://psx-scene.com/
Lawyers representing George Hotz (geohot) have moved for a dismissal of Sony's case against him, citing lack of jurisdiction in California.
I was a bit surprised by this. There are a lot of valid points made in defense of geohot. Not sure if it'll work, but I think their move was definitely worth a shot. Should be interesting to see if this pulls through. Sony's reply kind of made me chuckle. Something about it is really starting to make this whole thing feel very juvenile to me. Especially this part:
Hotz again fails to unequivocally deny that he has, or has ever had, a PSN account.
In his supplemental declaration, Hotz merely – and carefully – denies that he has ever
accessed the PSN to install a firmware update.

Like, how the hell are they planning on proving this? Even if they had his IP logged, it's still somewhat circumstantial evidence. Am I missing something here?
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Well, I sent back the 40GB Demo Unit that I bought last week because the system had a few GPU-related issues. It also didn't come with a box, manuals, or the advertised controller (instead I got a brandless Chinese USB Dualshock 2). Fortunately, I was refunded because it was off of eBay.

Found a retail 60GB for less than the crappy demo unit, though. So at least there's a plus
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Luriden wrote:Once the Sony lawsuit thing is over and people are done releasing the big guns for PS3, hopefully they'll move to PSP. I have a PSP-3000 which means I have to keep my PSP in sleep mode in order for it to stay modded, which is a pain in the ass. I know some form of CFW came out soon after the keys were released, but it has low compatibility with everything, and if I'm not mistaken, nothing else has been released.
There are a couple of signing apps out there (including one that runs on a PSP) which you can sign homebrew with. Signed homebrew will work on any PSP, with any firmware version. Some homebrew doesn't work yet, because it tries to do things that regular PSP games aren't allowed to do, but I'd imagine that anything still being actively developed will be updated to work on an unmodified PSP fairly quickly.

Doesn't help with anything else though. Basically, it lets you run your own code on the PSP, but that's about it.

As for CFW...

My PSP (an old PSP-1000) is still on 5.00 M33, so I've not been following anything that's been happening with newer firmware, or with newer hardware revisions. From what I can gather, there's been no 6.xx CFW, but the HEN tools (which I gather is what you're using, by the sound of it) can kind of get some of that functionality. They've been signed, so you can at least mod the thing from the system menu, instead of having to muck about with game exploits or whatever.

From the looks of it, nobody seems to be working on actual CFW for newer firmware / hardware versions. However, it looks like the HEN tools might turn into CFW enablers. So, you'd have an app on the memory card, start the PSP with the stock firmware, and run the app to enable the CFW features.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

BlackAura wrote:From the looks of it, nobody seems to be working on actual CFW for newer firmware / hardware versions. However, it looks like the HEN tools might turn into CFW enablers. So, you'd have an app on the memory card, start the PSP with the stock firmware, and run the app to enable the CFW features.
That's basically what I'm doing now on my brand new PSP-3000.

AFAIK, there is one CFW, but I'm not sure the latest PSPs can be flashed with it because you'd need to downgrade the firmware (to 6.20). As of 6.37, Sony fixed some exploit that was being used to get kernel mode access. Apparently the latest version you want to be running at the moment is 6.35, but I'm not an expert; I've just been reading up on things trying to figure out what the situation is. Homebrew can be signed, but the tools barf on some homebrew apps at the moment.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I upgraded to Gen-D3 then pretty much stopped following developments. It gives me everything I want from my PSP. I just wish the SNES emulator was a little better - no matter what I do Chrono Trigger still runs like crap.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

3.56 is out. Do NOT update, it obviously kills homebrew.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I had my PS3 hooked up to the internet for the first time in a week or so and could only laugh when I saw that a system update was required.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

It figures how I finally decided to install CFW the other day and ordered a 2TB external from Amazon, it's supposed to arrive today and now we have this. Some people are saying that lv2 patching isn't possible anymore with this patch, which is required for backups iirc. Hopefully that can be fixed, as Kakaroko apparently has already blown the update wide open.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Luriden wrote:It figures how I finally decided to install CFW the other day and ordered a 2TB external from Amazon, it's supposed to arrive today and now we have this. Some people are saying that lv2 patching isn't possible anymore with this patch, which is required for backups iirc. Hopefully that can be fixed, as Kakaroko apparently has already blown the update wide open.
@Luriden

It took Sony 3 weeks just to come with this update. Sit back and watch how fast their work is undone.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

That only works for a few days though. Whenever a new firmware update comes out, somehow that trick works, then Sony blocks it a few days after the firmware release. I'm not really sure why it even exists really, there's almost a timer for when it'll work after the firmware update has been released before it gets shut off again. Given the circumstances, I'd be surprised if it isn't shut off by tonight.

As stated in a dev IRC channel, 3.56 contains sort of a PSN rootkit, allowing Sony remote access to our consoles basically once we have 3.56 installed, and they can slip through patches and updates to our consoles while we're online. Hopefully this can be removed in the 3.56 CFW update (if it comes).
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Luriden wrote:As stated in a dev IRC channel, 3.56 contains sort of a PSN rootkit, allowing Sony remote access to our consoles basically once we have 3.56 installed, and they can slip through patches and updates to our consoles while we're online. Hopefully this can be removed in the 3.56 CFW update (if it comes).
Unfortunately, this wouldn't be the first time Sony has attempted to install a Rootkit on it's consumer's hardware. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_c ... it_scandal

I'm pretty sure there will be a way to undo their new security patch/rootkit. Although in the meantime I hope this really backfires on them like the last time.