RSG's Solar Struggle Discussion

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: RSG Announces "Solar Struggle"

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Thank god senility hasn't set in yet, it was the voice samples used in the first few seconds of the teaser video that sounded familiar, it reminded me of this tune from Dino Crisis 2:
Across the Universe
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

If this ends up not being on DC, I'll be pissed that any of this news made it on here.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I'm assuming XBLA/PSP myself
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Just checking what facts we got access to so far:

z-software's previous 3D space shooter with very similar graphics was called Doxan: http://www.doxan.net/index.php?e=article&id=7
Für dieses Spiel haben wir die Torque Engine lizensiert.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_Game_Engine
The source code can be compiled on Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Wii, Xbox 360 and iPhone platforms.
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Quzar wrote:If this ends up not being on DC, I'll be pissed that any of this news made it on here.
Imagine how i'd feel I posted them and updated them regularly. Even if it XBLA why would they rule out a hard copy release.
Christuserloeser wrote:Just checking what facts we got access to so far:

z-software's previous 3D space shooter with very similar graphics was called Doxan: http://www.doxan.net/index.php?e=article&id=7
Für dieses Spiel haben wir die Torque Engine lizensiert.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_Game_Engine
The source code can be compiled on Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Wii, Xbox 360 and iPhone platforms.
Maybe, then porting the Torque Engine was what all the buzz/hype was abou and given it exists on these platforms porting it to the DC swiuld make it special.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I'd say that porting one of the most widely adapted modern game engines to Dreamcast would indeed be something very special!, but I feel that it might be better not to expect too much in this case, so one doesn't end up being disappointed when it turns out it's a game for XBLA or iPhone.
Insane homebrew collector.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

nonetheless we're confident it has to be on Dreamcast otherwise RSG will have to face off with several angry DC fan boys.
The fact that only several people would be angry about this is reason enough to not develop it for Dreamcast.
Even if it XBLA why would they rule out a hard copy release.
The huge price difference between digital distribution and small-scale disc pressing.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

So should I change it to thousands?

Their are atleast 1,000 regular consumers in America alone.

Also I think this is a marketing stunt in the end, they will just say did you really think we would leave you?

Last Hope has sold out 2 press runs with a 3rd print run rescently started.
Dux has sold out, with a 3rd print in the works.
R4 has sold out, and now RSG is forcing people to buy the expensive addition instead of producing more units.

While Goat Store doesn't release sales figures Irides is the 3rd most selling dreamcast game on Play-Asia, so the scene is prosperous.

p.s. if they go on another platform consumers have millions of publishers to choose from, where as on dc their are barely 4 publishers at the scene.
Last edited by cube_b3 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

BoneyCork wrote:
Even if it XBLA why would they rule out a hard copy release.
The huge price difference between digital distribution and small-scale disc pressing.
What huge price difference? The marginal cost of one copy might be much lower for Microsoft to ship on XBLA, but that's not going to be what the developer pays. Pressed CDs are not exactly a devastating investment these days. If you can afford a 360 dev kit for XBLA, you can definitely afford a small run of pressed CDs. XBLIG would be cheaper, but then you're subject to other drawbacks (game must be coded for XNA, very few pricing options, your game gets mixed in with a bunch of cheesy games that bored CS undergrads coded over a weekend, etc.). Either way you'd probably end up paying royalties in excess of the cost of a pressed CD on each sale.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

Lurking in the website code shows this:

Code: Select all

"In SolarStruggle you're assuming the role of a young pilot who accidentally stumbles into a conflict of a degree not yet known. Play through 11 exciting missions of the campaign or fight against hordes of enemies in the skirmish mode and unlock all 36 awards!"
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:p.s. if they go on another platform consumers have millions of publishers to choose from, where as on dc their are barely 4 publishers at the scene.
This is one of the most ridiculous things you have ever said. By your logic, every developer out there is screwing themselves in the ass by supporting more popular platforms. You're right of course: there is far more competition in the iPhone gaming market than there is for the Dreamcast. But that's because the profit that can be made by decent games is a crapload more too.

Perhaps it isn't the best example, But Braid sold 55,000 copies in it's first week on XBLA. A thousand potential DC customers in the USA is pretty impressive, but it isn't that big of a number in the world of gaming - especially now that download services have opened doors to independent development.
XBLIG would be cheaper, but then you're subject to other drawbacks (game must be coded for XNA, very few pricing options, your game gets mixed in with a bunch of cheesy games that bored CS undergrads coded over a weekend, etc.).
That won't happen if your game is good enough. Or are you suggesting that DC scene games aren't actually that good in comparison and they're likely to get more money out of a group of people who will buy anything to support the scene than out of a larger group of people looking for something fun to play?

We can argue about this as much as we like, but at the end of the day one point is clear: Decent independent games that aren't exclusive to the DC scene have been considerably more successful. If you want to make money - go to where the customers are.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

BoneyCork wrote:
XBLIG would be cheaper, but then you're subject to other drawbacks (game must be coded for XNA, very few pricing options, your game gets mixed in with a bunch of cheesy games that bored CS undergrads coded over a weekend, etc.).
That won't happen if your game is good enough. Or are you suggesting that DC scene games aren't actually that good in comparison and they're likely to get more money out of a group of people who will buy anything to support the scene than out of a larger group of people looking for something fun to play?
I'm suggesting that by being on Xbox Live Indie Games (which is apparently where you go on XBL if you can't afford a devkit and/or aren't in a position to meet the requirements of a licensed Xbox developer), you're in a marketplace where:

- bestselling games include "Baby Maker Extreme" and "Try Not to Fart"
- most of the bestsellers sell for $1 (the maximum seems to be $10, but games that expensive seem to also see a correspondingly lower sales rate)
- breaking 25,000 units means you're in the top percentile for units sold (and you'll probably only get there with a $1 or $2 game)
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
I'm suggesting that by being on Xbox Live Indie Games (which is apparently where you go on XBL if you can't afford a devkit and/or aren't in a position to meet the requirements of a licensed Xbox developer), you're in a marketplace where:

- bestselling games include "Baby Maker Extreme" and "Try Not to Fart"
- most of the bestsellers sell for $1 (the maximum seems to be $10, but games that expensive seem to also see a correspondingly lower sales rate)
- breaking 25,000 units means you're in the top percentile for units sold (and you'll probably only get there with a $1 or $2 game)
Then again, it's not like (afaik) there are any 'hidden gems' languishing under a pile of shit in the XBLIG system. Any game that were actually great would somehow find some sort of exposure, especially when 25000 units is top tier.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

In 36 mins and some seconds we will get the answer.

36 Mins Later EDIT:

These last few seconds are very long.... usually I spend hours playing snake in office, but write now I can't stop looking at the clock, only a few seconds left....

FUCKING LAZY BASTARDS NOTHING!!!

Refreshed the window 3 times already still shows the timer at 0000000

6 times

FUCK ITm i'm off.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

Move or close the topic .
Look at buttons ... :(
http://wpblogpreview.solarstruggle.com/ ... -08-29.jpg

Farewell RSG
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

http://www.mcvuk.com/press-releases/614 ... r-Struggle
"Solar Struggle" is expected to be released in August on the indie-channel of the Xbox360 market-place. The game is fully synchronized in English.
One of the few remaining nails for the DC scene's coffin has been hammered into place.

*waits for someone to suggest a DC version is still 90% definitely probably coming*

Also, the English on that screenshot is terrible.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Is anyone really shocked, how big is the worldwide Market for DC now realistically? A couple hundred people at a stretch? Why spend a year developing something that only a handful of people would play?
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

Oh my... :(
now i cant even play it on my jtag 360... and pc gaming isnt the same.
sad story...

EDIT: sure dc fanbase is small but that the only console release is on a totally locked down system is just sad. A Pandora or another homebrew handheld/console release would be much more intresting imo.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

This is just a commercial developer and publisher releasing a game on a commercial console. RSG obviously want to move away from the part-time Dreamcast stuff and develop into a larger company. Nobody trying to make money will support the Sega Dreamcast forever.

As a website about the Dreamcast scene I think it would be best to thank them for their support and wish them luck in the future. Please don't bring this place down to a new level of desperation by badgering them with online petitions and whatnot.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

BoneyCork wrote:One of the few remaining nails for the DC scene's coffin has been hammered into place.
Not so much this as 90% of the homebrew DC coders moving on for good, and only a handful of those still left still working on projects.

If I still have Elysian Shadows, Hypertension, (maybe) Age of the Beast, a new Wolf3d revision, a couple different OBOR mods like Castlevania/Contra, and all the small steady stream of releases from Dreamcast.es, I'll be happy.
ImageImageImageImage