The E3 discussion

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The E3 discussion

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Personally, I think the 3DS is the absolutely most exciting thing out of E3.

But when the fuck are they gonna call it a Gameboy again?
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:But when the fuck are they gonna call it a Gameboy again?
Probably when they call their next console: Super Nintendo Chalmers.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

DanteJay wrote:

Hahaha. But they have said in the past that the DS is not the true successor to the Gameboy.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
Luriden wrote:So have they announced yet when the new Nintendo 3DS Lite is coming out? Or are they skipping over the Lite and putting out a 3DSi instead this time?
Why are console manufacturers not allowed to improve their products?
Give me back my GBA slot.
They never took it away from you. If a GBA slot is more important to you than a camera then you stick with the DS Lite.
Not with them starting the move to 3DS. One thing I liked about both the Gameboy (and, at first, DS) line and the Playstation line is that they retained full backwards compatibility. Over the course of the current generation, both of these product lines have limited or ended that practice. As someone who frequently replays his old games but doesn't want the living room junked up with a hundred consoles, I find this very obnoxious. I have probably 40 GBA cartridges which will be useless if I trade my DS Lite in for a 3DS, and yeah I know I could just keep the DS around as well but that's not really the solution I'm looking for.

Fuck planned obsolescence.
I once thought that the GBA slot was important enough to keep my DS Lite around. But then I found that whenever I wanted to play a GBA game, I would break out my SP instead. Especially with the bright screen version of SP, it is just a better experience than playing it on the DS.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
Luriden wrote:So have they announced yet when the new Nintendo 3DS Lite is coming out? Or are they skipping over the Lite and putting out a 3DSi instead this time?
Why are console manufacturers not allowed to improve their products?
Give me back my GBA slot.
They never took it away from you. If a GBA slot is more important to you than a camera then you stick with the DS Lite.
Not with them starting the move to 3DS. One thing I liked about both the Gameboy (and, at first, DS) line and the Playstation line is that they retained full backwards compatibility. Over the course of the current generation, both of these product lines have limited or ended that practice. As someone who frequently replays his old games but doesn't want the living room junked up with a hundred consoles, I find this very obnoxious. I have probably 40 GBA cartridges which will be useless if I trade my DS Lite in for a 3DS, and yeah I know I could just keep the DS around as well but that's not really the solution I'm looking for.

Fuck planned obsolescence.
I once thought that the GBA slot was important enough to keep my DS Lite around. But then I found that whenever I wanted to play a GBA game, I would break out my SP instead. Especially with the bright screen version of SP, it is just a better experience than playing it on the DS.
The GBA SP isn't comfortable in my hands (it's incredibly hand-cramp-inducing). I had (and preferred) an original GBA with the Afterburner backlight mod, but the downfall there is battery life. Besides that, I sold my GBA to Quzar when I got my DS.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
DanteJay wrote:

Hahaha. But they have said in the past that the DS is not the true successor to the Gameboy.
Im pretty sure they said that in case the touch screen thing didnt work out for them.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Behind that shaky cam they used for most of the takes, I think it looks weird. Can't quite get my finger on what's wrong, but it feels forced, with weird reactions (specially from the defenders).

While I don't see it bringing me back from FIFA, it should be a bigger leap to the past-gen engine than previous years. But I'll just have to wait and play it.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Sorry. FIFA got their act together. PES is dead.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

mrandyk wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:
DanteJay wrote:

Im pretty sure they said that in case the touch screen thing didnt work out for them.
I think it's actually because the guy who designed/engineered/something-like-that the GameBoy handhelds for them died in a car crash. I see this as a way of paying respect to him.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Manoel wrote:
mrandyk wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:
DanteJay wrote:

I think it's actually because the guy who designed/engineered/something-like-that the GameBoy handhelds for them died in a car crash. I see this as a way of paying respect to him.
Not quite sure I follow how that's related, but the person you're referring to is Gunpei Yokoi. He created the Game & Watch series and the Game Boy. He was a co-creator of Metroid with Miyamoto, and the Virtual Boy was his pet project until they started having to cut corners to meet the budget. When the Virtual Boy flopped, he left in disgrace and later created the WonderSwan. He was, indeed, killed in a car accident in 1997.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Yes, Gunpei Yokoi.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

get a GB Micro if you desire a GBA slot. My favorite handheld of all time. Beautiful screen, great battery life, TINY and easily portable, headphone jack. Exactly what I want from a handheld. I have flash cards for both my GBA micro and DSlite, yet I put in over 100 times the amount of hours into my GBA than my DS.

come to think of it, whenever I did take my DS somewhere i always made sure to have my GBA card in the bottom of it for when I got bored of the lame and gimmicky DS games.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

A bad news day for Nintendo

- Profit expectations reduced from 200 billion yen to 90 billion yen
- Nintendo 3DS pushed back to next year
- Priced at $300 in Japan

For me, that's a little too much to be paying for a handheld. I will definitely be waiting a year or two.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Wiimote Plus, like no one saw it coming. Oh, and PES next gen is shit again.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

BoneyCork wrote:A bad news day for Nintendo

- Profit expectations reduced from 200 billion yen to 90 billion yen
- Nintendo 3DS pushed back to next year
- Priced at $300 in Japan

For me, that's a little too much to be paying for a handheld. I will definitely be waiting a year or two.
Fully expected it to be released next year, wouldnt be any software ready if it released this year. $300 is $100 more than I wanted to pay, so screw this.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

It's about $50 more than I expected, but I'd still be willing to spend $300 on it at launch. I'm more worried, however, that the games are going to hit the $40 mark.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Turning the player around is still god damn slow, it doesn't make a diff if you're fuckin Messi. Random shots, feints look horribly broken... BTW, is that where they put the "1000" new animations?
Sure, passing is great, but it doesn't cut it for me. Everything still looks robotic, specially compared to FIFA.

And on top of all that, Libertadores teams are locked to the mode :evil:
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I will say it is plausible that the 3DS will be priced at $250 in the US. $300 is too much for me too. $200 is probably the max I'd pay to buy it day one, but if there was a pack-in game (unlikely, but hey) I might go to $250.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Lartrak wrote:I will say it is plausible that the 3DS will be priced at $250 in the US. $300 is too much for me too. $200 is probably the max I'd pay to buy it day one, but if there was a pack-in game (unlikely, but hey) I might go to $250.
The original DS had a pack-in of a Metroid Prime demo. The DSi gave away 500 points to download whatever you wanted. And the DSi XL included two Brain Age Express games and the Photo Clock.

...after typing this, I realize that all of these were really crappy bundles, but at least there's some hope that the 3DS will come with some kind of freebie.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I'm probably a bit late on realizing this but they should have called the show "Nintendo 2010 and a few other companies no one cares about".
Insane homebrew collector.