Next Nintendo handheld coming before March 2011 IN 3D

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Next Nintendo handheld coming before March 2011 IN 3D

Post by Specially Cork »

Nintendo DS has had an awesome run. I'm looking forward to this.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ex-Cyber »

This is a pretty bold move, considering that DSi isn't exactly ancient. I suppose it might be likened to the GBC->GBA transition, though.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I enjoyed my DS a lot, but now that I've got an iPod Touch (which will be traded for an iPhone as soon as it's available on a carrier other than AT&T), I'm not as inclined to spend the money (and pocket space) on a dedicated gaming handheld. The last time I actually bought a DS game was well over a year ago; I've still got a pretty decent library of games for it, but honestly I'm past having to carry around a case full of cartridges.

We'll see if it does enough new to change my mind. I'd like to see them take a page from the Playstation playbook and let you transfer WiiWare/Virtual Console games to your handheld to play on the go. I'd also like to see major titles either available as downloads, or copyable to internal memory so I don't have to carry around a bunch of cartridges in order to access my different games. And it's way past time for a resolution upgrade on the screens... if it had two 480x320 screens, or better yet 800x480, that should be more than sufficient for any handheld.

The DS' technical capabilities are limited enough that I think a compelling case could be made for new hardware. But it's going to take some significant convincing this time... I've already bought into the iPhone OS platform, and I'll just stick with that if I don't see something that really makes me want to upgrade my DS.

The argument can be made. My girlfriend gave me a copy of Henry Hatsworth for our anniversary, and I have to admit it's managed to hook me. But to be honest, between having a more convenient handheld and the fact that home consoles are starting to feel the adventure game & 2D love that originally drew me to handhelds as a respite from 3D action games, I no longer consider upgrading a foregone conclusion the way I once might have.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It always depends on what you use handhelds for.

In the past they were distractions for me on my commute to college/university and I wanted simple pick-up and play games. Now they are ways for me to pass breaks at work - which can sometimes be very long - so I want something more subtantial. Since this change in lifestyle my DS and PSP have both seen far more playtime than any previous handheld (although, the PSP is mainly down to emulation).

I don't own an iPhone/iPod touch, so I'll admit to not really being up-to-date with the app store, but I don't think the platform is the handheld gaming solution for me. (Plus there's the fact I don''t have a UK bank account to buy apps in the first place...)
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Here they go again. It always has to be some fucking half baked idea. Motion sensing, multiple screens, 3D with no glasses... Can't just make a straightforward, solid handheld and worry about graphics capabilities. This is why the PSP is doing so well.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

rumored specs to be atleast as powerful or more so than the gamecube. nintendo was looking into using tegra 2, so who knows.

motion control, 3d (but without glasses, not the best way, but its perfect for a handheld since you will generally be in direct view)

3d control stick was mentioned, so i take it an analog. I hope its not like the psp nub, but more like the neo geo pocket.

i'll guess they have some sort of flash hard drive for dlc and game saves. an built in web browser, since the dsi has it built in
built in camera since the dsi has.

I would also assume a better touch screen since, touch tech has evolved over the past few years.
i guess nintendo announces the upgrade to the wii in 2011 then. for a fall 2011 release or 2012 release.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Oh good, I'm so glad I preordered a DSi XL. I can't wait for my yearly DS upgrade. :roll:
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Hasney wrote:
melancholy wrote:
The iPhone/iPod is just a terrible gaming platform. If this 3DS got rid of a joypad I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole.

Many games work well on it... I play FF1 and 2 on my iPhone a lot and it's reasonably effective. But I do wish some kind of peripheral could be made. Some games are just impossible on it... First Person Shooters especially.

Have you heard about Sony's idea for making a universal gaming controller? It's a touch-screen pad, so that it can emulate all controller layouts from the past. Worst. Idea. ever.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I too still just play the DS I got almost 6 years ago, god that went fast. I really dont see the point in upgrading when mine works just fine, the upgrades have added nothing of interest. Yet whenever I see someone playing DS its always the newer models.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

There are actually quite a few surprisingly good games for iPhone. Not much with the depth of a console release, of course, but plenty of games that are perfectly suited to short- or medium-length handheld sessins. And yes, there are some I've spent hours sitting around the house playing (notably Hook Champ and Soosiz). iPhone games are also significantly less expensive than DS/PSP releases, and there have been rereleases of several high-profile classic adventure games (Monkey Island, Myst, etc.) for those longer play sessions.

I do agree, though, there are several genres that just simply don't work well without buttons. Onscreen controls are woefully inadequate for anything that requires precision timing.
Jeeba Jabba wrote:But I do wish some kind of peripheral could be made.
There is the iControlPad, but it's only for homebrew (which also means you need to have your device jailbroken, and commercial apps aren't likely to support it).

...And it's still vaporware at this point, but there is the GameBone.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

melancholy wrote:Oh good, I'm so glad I preordered a DSi XL. I can't wait for my yearly DS upgrade. :roll:
I don't know how anybody manages to go from phat>lite>i>XL. The price difference is never worth changing. If it is worth changing, then maybe stop buying original versions of hardware? My first DS was a lite, and it still is that one.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BoneyCork wrote:
melancholy wrote:Oh good, I'm so glad I preordered a DSi XL. I can't wait for my yearly DS upgrade. :roll:
I don't know how anybody manages to go from phat>lite>i>XL. The price difference is never worth changing. If it is worth changing, then maybe stop buying original versions of hardware? My first DS was a lite, and it still is that one.
I went from an original to a Lite. I used my DS a ton the first couple years it was out, but the original had these sort of low-quality, flickery screens and extensive use of the shoulder buttons hurt my hand. As much as I felt dumb for doing it, moving up to a Lite was worth it for comfort reasons. I gave the original to my dad, and he uses it nearly every day for Dr. Mario, Brain Age, and sudoku. It's the first video game system he's ever had.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BoneyCork wrote:
I saw this sort of thing with both the oGB (oGB->GBp->GBc) and GBA (GBA, SP, and GBm) and there are often semi-reasonable explanations. The best sorts that I've heard are: they play the system so extensively that the minor changes and brand new-ness are worth it (their 'old system' only a year or more old is already worn a bit) and that older becomes the spare for family (one of my friends had two younger brothers who he had to share his systems with, when the new one came out it became exclusively his while the old exclusively the brothers; it's hard to justify buying multiple copies of the original when it comes out, but once there's one with a slight difference the parents could be sweet talked into it).

The biggest reason that their constant hardware changes work is the completeness of their backwards compatibility. Even if you keep the original system throughout the lifespan of the hardware platform odds are you'll still be able to play the new games that come out. We get longer platform lifetimes, developers benefit from a stable well known and ultimately cheap platform, and hey, if you really want you can get a slightly better version when your phat breaks. It's win-win.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Quzar wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
I saw this sort of thing with both the oGB (oGB->GBp->GBc) and GBA (GBA, SP, and GBm) and there are often semi-reasonable explanations. The best sorts that I've heard are: they play the system so extensively that the minor changes and brand new-ness are worth it (their 'old system' only a year or more old is already worn a bit) and that older becomes the spare for family (one of my friends had two younger brothers who he had to share his systems with, when the new one came out it became exclusively his while the old exclusively the brothers; it's hard to justify buying multiple copies of the original when it comes out, but once there's one with a slight difference the parents could be sweet talked into it).

The biggest reason that their constant hardware changes work is the completeness of their backwards compatibility. Even if you keep the original system throughout the lifespan of the hardware platform odds are you'll still be able to play the new games that come out. We get longer platform lifetimes, developers benefit from a stable well known and ultimately cheap platform, and hey, if you really want you can get a slightly better version when your phat breaks. It's win-win.
Then don't complain about having to buy all the upgrades :grin:
The "fuck you Nintendo, now I have to buy another of your systems!" argument seems a bit backwards.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Made me think of VirtualBoy.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

What's really exciting is thinking of the great innovations that will come with 3D gaming.

Mario Kart 3D
New Super Mario Bros 3D
Zelda: Random Form of Transport and/or Obscure Musical Instrument 3D
Brain Training 3D
Pokemon 3D
Animal Crossing 3D

So many new and awesome games.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Hasney wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:What's really exciting is thinking of the great innovations that will come with 3D gaming.

Mario Kart 3D
New Super Mario Bros 3D
Brain Training 3D
Pokemon 3D
Animal Crossing 3D

Also, I will not be happy if Phoenix Wright is not pointing and objecting IN MY FACE.
On that note, how will the touch-screen work with 3D? Or would it only be used with DS games and media functions?
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

BoneyCork wrote:
Hasney wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:What's really exciting is thinking of the great innovations that will come with 3D gaming.

Mario Kart 3D
New Super Mario Bros 3D
Brain Training 3D
Pokemon 3D
Animal Crossing 3D

Also, I will not be happy if Phoenix Wright is not pointing and objecting IN MY FACE.
On that note, how will the touch-screen work with 3D? Or would it only be used with DS games and media functions?
They really fucked themselves on that one. Either cut out backwards compatibility or keep the gimmicks, same thing with the Wii (not that Id buy another terrible motion controlled console).
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Ayla »

Mario Kart 3D
New Super Mario Bros 3D
Brain Training 3D
Pokemon 3D
Animal Crossing 3D

Picross 3D 3D