Dreamcast Classic

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Dreamcast Classic

Post by politoe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:02 am

With recent 90s Megadrive/Genesis.
Who knows if well see a Saturn Classic.
DC classic a possibility.
What games will come included?
•••
Been getting reeled in by Amano, didnt know he worked on El Dorado Gate, and has uncredited work with a game by the same developers of Dragons Lair
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Dreamcast Classic

Post by |darc| » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:09 pm

I don't see it happening. There's no hardware they could use to accurately emulate the DC that would also be cheap enough.
It's thinking...
Moopthehedgehog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Moopthehedgehog » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:26 am

Oh yeah?
https://www.digipart.com/part/HD6417091RA
150k+ SH7091s, $8 a pop.
Who needs to emulate when you can still buy the actual CPUs for a pittance?

Get the holly on an fpga and that’s about $100 for a Dreamcast “redux.” It may even be possible to do it for less.
(I doubt SEGA will be the ones to do it, but who knows? IMO they could just re-release the Dreamcast and make more BBAs and make like 90% profit on it.)
I'm sure Aleron Ives feels weird with his postcount back to <10668
:D
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Nico0020 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:42 pm

Give it another ten years or so. Don't need another half-assed mini system like Sony did. Heck it took a lot for Sega to even be able to get the Genesis mini as good as they did.

Mini consoles of 6th gen stuff is going to be a much harder sell I think. There is a different kind of nostalgia for 8/16 bit consoles that the 5th and 6th gen consoles never captured.

Personally I'd love to see a Saturn made, just because so many of those titles were never ported to anything at all. Saturn's 2D heavy library also makes those games easier to digest than the PS1's extensive Dorito based 3D library.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Eviltaco64X » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:28 am

Nico0020 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:42 pm
Mini consoles of 6th gen stuff is going to be a much harder sell I think. There is a different kind of nostalgia for 8/16 bit consoles that the 5th and 6th gen consoles never captured.

Personally I'd love to see a Saturn made, just because so many of those titles were never ported to anything at all. Saturn's 2D heavy library also makes those games easier to digest than the PS1's extensive Dorito based 3D library.
N64 Classic would do really well. Nintendo could probably make one with no trouble, but the controllers would be bigger than the system itself. I'd guess they're a lot more expensive to make than NES/SNES controllers. Add to that, the boxes would probably be gigantic if they packed 2 controllers in. It goes against the whole Mini thing too much

Saturn Mini (anything 6th Gen and later) I only see happening whenever RetroPie or some equivalent becomes passable enough.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Juan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:11 pm

I mostly want a comprehensive Sega arcades compilation, in a format like the current Mega Drive collection.
Moopthehedgehog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Moopthehedgehog » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:56 pm

I came across this random thing recently:
http://ebook.pldworld.com/_eBook/SEGA/1 ... amcast.pdf
It's a complete cost-analysis of the Dreamcast hardware done in 2000 (it's legit, too: Portelligent has since been bought by CMP Technologies, which were then bought by UBM. Same company behind the EE Times). The prices in the BOM have really not changed much, so even if one were to rebuild the Dreamcast from the ground up, it would cost very nearly the same now as it did then to make.

I also find it insane that they were losing $50 on every console they were making. That means they would have needed to sell about 3 games per console to break even. The holly chip is an absolute monster, and a best-case FPGA implementation of that chip now would be at least the same price--not a chance of it being any cheaper.

That's $250 to build a Dreamcast from scratch at some kind of scale, even now.
And good luck finding the video encoder chips: the best I've seen is 5 for over $80 on Aliexpress.
I'm sure Aleron Ives feels weird with his postcount back to <10668
:D
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Eviltaco64X » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:07 am

Juan wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:11 pm
I mostly want a comprehensive Sega arcades compilation, in a format like the current Mega Drive collection.
That would be a great idea if it was pulled off right. Licensing troubles with 3rd party IPs would be the toughest problem to sort out.
Moopthehedgehog wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:56 pm
I came across this random thing recently:
http://ebook.pldworld.com/_eBook/SEGA/1 ... amcast.pdf
It's a complete cost-analysis of the Dreamcast hardware done in 2000 (it's legit, too: Portelligent has since been bought by CMP Technologies, which were then bought by UBM. Same company behind the EE Times). The prices in the BOM have really not changed much, so even if one were to rebuild the Dreamcast from the ground up, it would cost very nearly the same now as it did then to make.

I also find it insane that they were losing $50 on every console they were making. That means they would have needed to sell about 3 games per console to break even. The holly chip is an absolute monster, and a best-case FPGA implementation of that chip now would be at least the same price--not a chance of it being any cheaper.

That's $250 to build a Dreamcast from scratch at some kind of scale, even now.
And good luck finding the video encoder chips: the best I've seen is 5 for over $80 on Aliexpress.
If you don't build your Dreamcasts from scratch, you're not dreaming
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:18 pm

Just delivered at SOA Burbank office, (they've got a few satellite offices.)put in good word for the community. You guys just keep fucking thinking.
Ima post the Sonic statue pic in a bit.
Also used my 401k to purchase 23 shares of stocks at around $4 a pop before the movie released.
SEGA/SAMMY/ATLUS WEST took note.