SHENMUE III CONFIRMED

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: SHENMUE III CONFIRMED

Post by DaMadFiddler » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:25 pm

What |darc| said.

While there are several types of situations where it is legitimately helpful, Kickstarter is and always has been primarily a way for business endeavors to shift all of their financial risks onto the end consumer. And it appeals by making you feel like you're either investing (which you're not, because you don't get any rights over the company/product or return on your investment except--hopefully--the end product) or supporting a cause (which you're also not; it's a business venture, not a charitable organization).

And uses like this one are even worse.

While I kind of understand this tactic in this one very specific instance--it's a very expensive undertaking with a dedicated but niche fanbase, which has a history of not being a good investment--what campaigns with this sort of structure are essentially doing is using their regular-schmoe end customers to test the waters and take all the financial risk to prove to their more wealthy benefactors--the REAL investors--that it is a safe investment. That's all kinds of disgusting.

Since this got so much money so quickly, and since it is just a proof-of-viability study for Sony, they really should offer to return all the pledges that are less than enough to get a copy of the game. (I'd say the same thing about people who gave in excess, but I honestly don't know how you'd go about the nightmare task of coordinating that.)
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:47 am

I view it simply as pre-ordering... and if paying 300$ will have Yu Suzuki sign the copy then I can live with the expenditure. Off course, if Shenmue 3 is successful my physical copy will be worthless however if the game fails commercially it might be worth something. Overall this is a waste of money that I am fine indulging with.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by |darc| » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:06 pm

It's thinking...
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:16 pm

As a side note, this probably means that Shenmue I & II will get PS4 ports/HD remakes at some point to feed the hype machine.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:37 pm

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.
Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:00 pm

The slightly weird thing about all of this for me is how nobody's mentioned Sega anywhere. Has Sony's part of the deal been to pay Sega off, or will Sega be taking a cut of profits? Just seems a weird forgotten detail that this is Sega's IP.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:24 am

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:50 am

Well, this is infuriating, now after 4 years of waiting for a game we crowdfunded, after knowing it would be on Steam all that time, they've removed the game from Steam and made it an Epic Games Store exclusive. Basically, after crowdfunding a game that was thought maybe not possible, they screwed over their backers by taking a payment from Epic to force us to install Epic malware on our computers to get the game we paid for and supported.

They have already confirmed that if you purchased the physical copy (as I did) that you'll be getting an Epic Games Store code in a box in the mail.

They are already mass-copypasta'ing to backers that they will not be giving refunds for this decision.

To make matters worse, the Shenmue III website confirms that Shenmue III will be coming to Steam "at a later date," so as a day 1 backer I'm basically I'm forced to deal with this EGS bullshit if I want to play it on PC or wait months to years to play on PC.

There's basically a mass uprising on the Kickstarter page with thousands of comments by loyal Shenmue backing fans upset and trying to get refunds or reporting them to Kickstarter.

I won't be installing the Epic Games spyware launcher on my computer so I guess I will try to change platforms to PS4 and sell it sealed at a loss when it comes in. The last thing I ever wanted to do was pirate Shenmue III but after this slap in the face I don't care anymore. I hope the story wraps up nicely because it looks like trying to get funding for a Shenmue IV will be a disaster.
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:19 pm

U mad lol
Specially Cork
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Specially Cork » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:42 pm

I've seen established companies using Kickstarter just to build pre-orders for their latest product. It's shit.

The whole point of it is to help startups. Once your first product is out the door you should be re-investing your profits to make and sell stuff the same way every normal company does.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:59 am

Agreed.

As for Shenmue III, for those not paying attention, they offered some options to PC backers:
1. You can switch to PS4
2. You can get it on Epic Games at launch and when it comes out on Steam a year later, you'll have it there too
3. You can get a refund

They have confirmed that physical PC copies will be a code and a disc with zero game content, just a copy of the Epic Games store installer. Prior to the Epic Games exclusivity deal, they were pretty adamant about how they were definitely going to include the game itself on the physical disc.

I still don't know what my choice will be.
I'd love a nice physical copy that can go on a shelf next to Shenmue I and Shenmue II. I backed the Kickstarter on day 1 and on day 1 the only physical option was PC, the PS4 version was going to be digital download only. Thus I felt the PC version was going to be the 'main' real version. But now I'm not sure, maybe I should just switch to the PS4 version now.

But, I have Shenmue I&II for Steam, so that makes me want to have Shenmue III in there too, in which case I feel I should just have it on Epic Games (i.e. own a legit license and pirate the game) until Steam version is released.

Or I could just say fuck all of it and get my refund. Supposedly Epic Games agreed to pay for all of the refunds, so this would directly impact them and I can take my money and buy it through Steam in a year and really vote with my dollar.
It's thinking...