Prydon Gate (Quake RPG)

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Prydon Gate (Quake RPG)

Post by Tyne »

Prydon Gate (The project name was just Quake RPG), has been released!
However it's just a demo, but it kicks total ass. Get it now and burn it
for Dreamcast!

Download:
http://www.quadmire.com/files/prydon/prydon_demo.zip

Webpage:
http://www.inside3d.com/prydongate/
(I don't think it's finished yet)
FrikaC
QuakeC Buddha
QuakeC Buddha
Been thanked: 0

Post by FrikaC »

Whoop! There it is! Although it's not mentioned in the readme, I'd like to thank this forum's own TheDumbAss for 11th hour testing on the DC.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Heres a couple mirrors for you :)

http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/mods/pr ... n_demo.zip

and

http://ihocmod.hypermart.net/quakedev/p ... n_demo.zip

Bad news to those who downloaded it from tyne's link...
I messed up when telling FrikaC the alias's for the config.

I've fixed it in the mirrors

If you downloaded it already all you have to do is open the pak then open the dc.cfg file.

find the line
-dc_b "closemenu"

change it to

-dc_b "-jump"

Dont forget... like it says in the readme...
For use on dreamcast you must uncomment (remove the // ) the last line of prydon.cfg
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Sweet, cant wait for this bad boy to be full version. gj Frika
MaximumZero
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MaximumZero »

Ack! I'd love to try it, but, alas, I do not have Quake.
Slamoid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

SWEET MOD MAN!

Post by Slamoid »

I'd LOVE to try it! I've been looking for an RPG like this forever!!

I've had some modeling experiance, and I consider myself fairly good at mapping... Also, I'm a graphical artist by night. I consider myself fairly good at making base textures. So any map I make, I can do all my own textures for. If you guys need any help, let me know! I'd be happy to do all I can! Also, I have a Cel-Shader prog, if any of you want to do that to your beutiful graphics. :wink: LOL

So when this gets done, are you going to package the full mod for QuakeDC as a standalone, or will you still need to download the modfiles seperately and put it together yourself? I guess I'm asking cause I use DCFactory, and I hope I'll be able to burn it off of that!! :lol:

About the game itself:

Will there be Music?

If yes, will each area have it's own music?

How many areas will there be?

Is there suppourt, or will you release the ability, for users to make "Add-On" worlds or areas for other users to put in too?

Will there be seperate Class groups or unique abilities, I.E.: Darkstone(PS1), Baldours' Gate(PC), Diablo2?

Will the character be male/female selectable?

About how long will the primary quest (if there is one) take?

Is there a level system?

How much character development will there be?

Sorry bout so many Q's, and WAY2GO MAN!! :o
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, than the packet pocket socket has an error to report.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

hey guys,
Great job on getting prydon gate out so soon! I've been watching on and off for this since it was announced by tyne many months ago. It looks great and I'm sure it plays great too. One problem tho... I don't use mods yet with QuakeDC (actually i haven't really played since i burned it) so i don't really know how to make this one work. could some please give me some reletively simple instructions on what to do with this before i burn it? (ie. it says to uncomment something, but i don't know what that means exatcly. What files do i need to replace, that kind of thing.) Some nice step by step instructions would be greatly apprieciated

-Keith
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Slamoid... I'll answer what I can about you your questions... for everything else I'll just tell FrikaC or Tyne they should check this topic next time I see them.

I'll remind you first though that I'm not on the Prydon Gate development team. All my info is gathered playing the demo or visiting #qc on irc.gamesnet.net and may not be 100% accurate.
About the game itself:

Will there be Music?

If yes, will each area have it's own music?
In the demo the town and sewer each have their own music... the boss fight in the sewer has its own too. Its safe to say that there will be much more music throught the final game. Probibly no more than 2-3 tracks per level.
(music is a short looped wav in the pak file)
How many areas will there be?
all I can say is... from what I hear the demo is just the tip of the iceburg.
You can expect a good number of places to kill monsters in.
Is there suppourt, or will you release the ability, for users to make "Add-On" worlds or areas for other users to put in too?
Yes, to quote the readme.txt
"A full development kit will be made available soon that will allow creating whole
new episodes (new quests, npcs, shops, whatever) with Prydon Gate. Pleasecheck back at the site regularly."
Will there be seperate Class groups or unique abilities, I.E.: Darkstone(PS1), Baldours' Gate(PC), Diablo2?
from the demo... it appears you start out as a simi normal human and get to decide which path you want to go as far as class. You then use the experiance you gain to boost your atributes tward whatever class you want to be.

You can build up strenght to carry heavyer armor and weapons or you can build up your intellegance and become accomplished with magic or work on your dexterity and become an archer... etc... etc....

A charator with no magic ability whatsoever can still do some magic useing low level spell scrolls bought from the magic shop or dropped by enemies.

Or you can spread out your attributes more and use magic and strong weapons... while still being quick with your attacks. I beleave once you get your attributes built up you could switch classes just buy switching items.

This is from the readme:
"8 fantastic spells with devastating effects
Hundereds more unique and powerful items for you to find
Over 30 classes for your character"

Something it doesnt mention is that you can level up your magic too :P
Will the character be male/female selectable?
Thats an interesting idea... I dont know if FrikaC or Tyne thought about that yet or not. It would require another player model with the correct animations. Would be kinda nice though...
Is there a level system?
Yes... as mentioned there is an experiance system. You gain experiance for each monster killed. Higher level enemies giving more experiance. (I beleave) After so much experiance you go up a level and are given attribute points to distribute.

There ya go...
The questions I didnt answer I dont know the answer for.
Last edited by TheDumbAss on Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

dreamer_68
I'll see what I can do for a real guide...
For now I'll give everyone this..

What you NEED:
the full version of quake
quakedc files
pakexplorer
the Prydon Gate demo pak file.

Open the Prydon Gate demo file with pakexplorer and find the file prydon.cfg and open it. If you must you can extract it from the pak and open it with notepad.

Go to the bottom line which reads:

Code: Select all

//exec dc.cfg
and remove the "//"

save and close that file. If you extracted it drag and drop it into pakexplorer overwriting the original.

Depending on when and where you downloaded the demo from you may need to open dc.cfg the same way...
This time you'll look for

bind -dc_b "closemenu"
and change it to

bind -dc_b "-jump"
if it already says "-jump" you've got one of the more recent versions and have nothing to worry about.

save and close that file.

Now... Rename the pakfile for the prydon gate demo from pak0.pak to pak2.pak

setup QuakeDC as you normally would when your prepairing to burn it... putting the quake full version pak files in the ID1 directory. Drop your pak2.pak from prydon gate in ID1 and burn using your method of choice.[/code]
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

No the character is strictly male, playing as a female wouldn't
fit in with the main story line unless it was about lesbians
and so on. ;)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Just downloaded it. Wow! I didn;t think anything like this was even possible in Quake! Well done! I'll have a look through and see if I can get a (dodgy?) version working without Quake... (unless anyone has an objection to that)
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

Prydon Gate : The Lesbian Chronicles. Mmmmmmmm......

Enough of that, the real thing is rather wonderful, well done you two :)
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

fantastic work guys, it about time we had new posters at dcemul;ation to help with areas like covers,quake deving hardware etc

And its nice to see my main man AJAy back with a spankin new site :)
kauffman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Prydons Gate

Post by kauffman »

Last edited by kauffman on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I personally havent burnt it yet, cos I dont want to play a demo of an RPG game, but it looks and sounds cool.
Maybe instead of releasing it all in one game, you could do it in chapters :D
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

WOW! this is really good! thanx frikac and tyne for creating this and thanks to dumbass for giving me the giude to burn it. i just have a coupla questions about the demo.

1.can i level up in the demo? because i have killed a lot of monsters and my exp still is 0.

2. are there other armor types in the demo?

3. i keep picking up arrows but i have no way of using them. can i get a bow or a crossbow in the demo?

4. is the a boss in this demo? if so where?

thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

-Keith
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Well the first version of the demo had a bug that kept your experience
at 0. I highly recommend burning 1.1 ..

I think Frika got too excited and released it before testing. :\
FrikaC
QuakeC Buddha
QuakeC Buddha

Post by FrikaC »

Re Tyne: I did test it, but then I just compiled again with optimizations enabled and the durn thing didn't work. I don't know which optimization did it, but it's a rather strange effect -- everything else works except experience.

1. This was fixed in 1.1, as Tyne said.

2. There are four armor types in the demo: cloth, aketon, chain mail and plate mail. As the latter are intended for higher level characters you probably can't use any of them until you burn 1.1.

3. There are 3 types of bows in the demo, war bow, short bow and long bow (the crossbow was removed). A demo characfter will probably only ever be able to use the short bow, which only requires 5 dexterity - finding a bow is a bit harder though, apparently, so one usually drops when you kill Ramuka (and usually a Broken Rapier for some reason) and you'll probably find many bows for sale at Ivor's shop.

4. He's located in the sewer (of course). The path to him is this: Walk straight ahead from the ladder, past Cornan, the pipe takes a left, go that way. You come to an intersection where two barrels are located, take a right. You pass some filth piles, the pipe turns right, you arrive at another intersection, take a left down the darker hallway. the pipe goes left. You reach apparently a dead end, rotate your camera to see a large hole in the wall. go up there and Ramuka will be waiting. I should've probably drawn a map....
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

whereabouts can i find v1.1?

-keith
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace