The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tyne »

law56ker wrote:Awesome, job I'm glad your reanimating, even though your first animations where good they should turn out even better this time. Did you work on the walking at all so he doesn't appear so stiff as he walks? Nice work on the new grass sprite, is there any other kind of sprites or graphics you would want, Maybe get rid of some of those sprites that are quake related including the health bar thing.
Walking is fine, infact I've gotten compliments on how great I've animated his walk.
I think you should remap the sword or have someone remap it and give it a more metallic look and give the sword handle look different then the blade itself.
The sword graphics are going to be changed.
It would also be cool to see some orginal looking enemies that differ from the ones in quake, maybe you could find someone to remap certain enemies or import something from another game.
I've asked Chillo to replace their models, it's up to him though; otherwise they stay.
I thought of a new level that the grass would work good with, maybe a spooky swamp with grass and piranias in some of the water. Or maybe on some levels you could have some small creeks or rivers where you whould have to cross over logs and if you fell in some sort of fish or monster would start attacking you.
Not a bad idea, I'm upgrading level interactivity and quality at the moment!
I just thought of another idea, since you are redoing the main chracter maybe you could have your orginal character as a boss, or play some role in the game. Maybe after you defeat the game or acheive some goal you could unlock to use or to play along side with. Maybe you could have a couple of moves or specials unique to each character.
The old model may be featured, but I haven't decided how (archers so far use the old model, new animations). Vigil will have a helper already at one point but I'm not saying what it'll be or releasing any details (mostly because I haven't thought of 'em yet) - all I know is his helper will not be human!

Next version is a graphical overhaul on a ton of things, and it may be GOLD. We'll see!
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Cool sound good!
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

"The old model may be featured, but I haven't decided how (archers so far use the old model, new animations). Vigil will have a helper already at one point but I'm not saying what it'll be or releasing any details (mostly because I haven't thought of 'em yet) - all I know is his helper will not be human!"

If i could vote, i'd say an eagle flying arround Vigil and casting fireballs randomly.
Or a dog (a replica of your dog) biting enemies.
It could be a good showdown of NPC's AI.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Grass looks a lot more natural now than the early shots I saw.
Really interested in seeing the new model in action. Last I heard you had been making really good (and quick) progress on the reanimation.

Keep it up Tyne!
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I'm changing TAoV to dynamic music standards, so music will change when you encounter mini-bosses or whenever we want; I was also bored last night and created this piece of music, not sure if it'll be used yet...

http://renegade.circa1984.com/TAoV_MiniBoss.mp3

Comments please? :)
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

The music is not too bad although I think it should have a more midevil *dark* grand feel to it. The music seems a little to cheerful for the theme of the game. It's pretty good though. I should try making some music, you ever use reason thats an amazing music making program. I'm sure i'd suck at it but maybe i'll try. I love the lord of the rings soundtrack i think something similar to the more high tempo music from those movies whould work good for taov.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Better, more suggestions! This one is improved vastly, I may make the choir singing part of the song longer... I added a building up snare which is cool

http://circa1984.com/renegade/TAoV_MiniBoss2.mp3
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

[WARNING]: Delete older copy of TAoV if it exists instead of overwriting it! Also note this is also a PRE-MATURE RELEASE and contains a few missing skins on Vigil and a few older models need replacing...

Well, I accidently deleted the old TAoV.rar file when working on my FTP .. I don't have a copy of the old .rar file so I have no other choice! :o I wanted atleast 3 new attacks in the next version but oh well.. here's 1 for now! :D

New version released.
Changes?

Tons! Check http://www.inside3d.com/ for details ...

enjoy the new attack I also just added 30 minutes ago and be sure to check out the relit Castle, and almost-finished Castle2.
Final note, this was released ahead of time so please report all bugs here as usual ...

(I don't care to document them anymore as it really doesn't matter at this point).
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Glad to see an update from Tyne!

cant see a newspost on inside3d.com though...
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

He did it again, Tyne changed the way of moding the Quake engine.
Castle2 is perfect.
Couldn't the BoR guys do a 1-1 fighting game with BoR engine? Or a Flip Shot one?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Special motions for moves are in, plus a new attack! Vigil twirls his sword at crazy speeds then does a finisher I haven't decided on yet..

Last edited by Tyne on Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

wow, really great! did someone test if it works on dc?
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

wow, really great! did someone test if it works on dc?
If I remember right, the game will be tweaked to work on DC once its done.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Should still work on Dreamcast to a certain degree.

Also I should let you all know that Vigil himself is 241 frames of animation .. earlier today he was 275, the max amount is 256 before Quake breaks!

What's this mean? and why should you care?

1. I had to chop out some animation, the biggest cut was to his 3rd idle animation which is now completely removed. The rest you won't notice as they were mostly repeat frames and now some animation aspects are handled code-wise and not in the .mdl itself!

2. I also gave myself a comfort-zone for 1 or 2 last additional attack(s) which are undecided, however they cannot be over 15 frames of animation!

3. I know the last attack will involve the following input: down, up + attack .. any ideas on what Vigil should do?

After that, he's finito and I'm not adding ANYTHING else to him. Seriously.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

You still gotta make those common knights taller they look like little kids. Hopefully you can have your friend retexture them so the game is as unique as it can get.

Also we should try to make some orginal art to put on the stone walls and such and try to elminate anything that reminds us that it is a quake mod. Also maybe we should think of some more sprites for the environment, maybe more bushes and various plants. How hard is it to edit the textures on the night and dogs can they be exported and edited in photoshop?

As for your animations please try to keep thiem as smooth as you can while keeping under your frame limit, i hate nothing more then a great looking game ruined by choppy animation. Anywas great work.

Can someone tell me how to load the levels in this game I've only been able to play the first level cause i forgot how to do that.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Can someone tell me how to load the levels in this game I've only been able to play the first level cause i forgot how to do that.
In console ("~"):
map castle2 starts castle2.bsp with initial stats.
changelevel castle2 starts castle2.bsp mataining the stats from the current level. This is the trigger on end level portals.
The available maps are:
  • arena1
  • castle
  • castle2
  • dungeon
  • map01
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

NICE! Any ideas for the next release? This game just seems to get cooler and cooler!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

More screenshots! (REMOVED)

Another new enemy, Ghost(s)! These guys are similar to wraiths but very weak, however they're invisible (almost) and suck away your health automatically. The closer they are to you the faster your health decreases! They cannot kill you however, but they're able to bring your health done to 1 HP. More ghosts == faster death :O! Dangerous indeed!
Last edited by Tyne on Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

looks good
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Working on the boss fight now! Vigil's animation was updated also by Chillo!