The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

New release of TAoV!

Post by Tyne »

New TAoV has been released
-----

- No more flickering graphics!
- Vigil now has a secondary standing animation when he's near ledges and both feet are not on the ground
- Spin attack now requires mana and does not use health any longer
- Vigil's voice has been changed once again, he no longer sounds like Terry (I also did the voice acting myself)
- Squashed a few gameplay / AI bugs that were remaining, TAoV practically has ZERO bugs that I'm aware of
- You no longer need to double tap to backflip out of falling, just press it once
- "Level Up" / "Armor Up" 2D Sprites now appear over Vigil when he's upgraded, also uses Quake's 2D rotation effects and looks rather cool
- Vigil's look has slightly changed for the better, also there are high resolution Vigil skins in Darkplaces now!
- Now uses full optimization when the progs.dat is compiled, meaning TAoV should run faster and better on lower end computers / Dreamcast
- Chopped animation frames out of Vigil's spin attack and the sword spin before he executed his flaming head smash attack; they were animating too fast before and it'd mess up timing with low framerates
- Certain enemies are now able to block Vigil's attacks
- Damage tweaks on Vigil, especially to the diving swallow which is just a tad more powerful now
- Full cooperative multiplayer / internet support now with up to 4 players at once, I recommend using Darkplaces as it's netcode is far superior
- func_destroy has been completely fixed and now when destroyed it'll blow up into several chunks, and also is no longer called func_destoy which was a horrible typo
- Vigil's flaming head smash now moves forward a tiny bit instead of straight down
- controls.cfg is now renamed to settings.cfg since it's more logical and contains multiplayer color / name settings
- Several text changes from "Vigil" to "You" for multiplayer purposes among other things
- New font, the old one was a place holder; this one is much nicer looking and is actually readable
- New particle effects on the spin attack, and the diving swallow when connected has a new special effect also and a rather cool sound
- Scenery gibs speeds and spinning are now random, meaning func_destroy and barrels that are destroyed look more realistic
- Recorded new demos
- Updated Vigil's wall grab, it now requires Vigil's full body to be able to connect to the wall instead of just the area where he shoves his sword in; this causes less conflict with ledge grabbing
- Vigil is now able to "split second" block, meaning even in the middle of an attack animation you can cancel out of it aside from the more powerful attacks!
- castle.bsp is updated

* A lot of other updates that I've forgotten about also.

In conclusion, a plethora of stuff has been upgraded / tweaked / fixed / changed! I hope you all enjoy this latest version as I worked REALLY hard on this one; be sure to try out cooperative mode and don't forget to setup your connection type in "Player Setup". :)
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Been thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

Really nice, now I gotta run to release Makaqu 0.2...
- New font, the old one was a place holder; this one is much nicer looking and is actually readable
I was thinking about adding a shadow effect for the text, like in Darkplaces.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Neat, I tested TAoV on Dreamcast. It's broken! Why? I'm thinking the Dreamcast doesn't like the gfx.wad I made, it seems to freeze right when loading a map or anything. I'm guessing the "Loading" sign is corrupted on Dreamcast... I know RADQuake Finito and any Quake port brought to Dreamcast has this problem with loading 2D graphics, I blame gcc and it's poor SH4 support .. compile something, and it's possible something MAY break which is the exact case I assume.

Gah!!

Only solution is to replace my gfx.wad with the standard Quake one until I figure out why it hates me, or if someone with a coders cable can figure this out? Hopefully this is the only problem; I haven't tested replacing gfx.wad but if someone does this and tells me the result it'll help a lot!
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Tyne wrote:I'm thinking the Dreamcast doesn't like the gfx.wad I made
If this was the reason it would crash at the beginning of the boot - before the console is displayed on the screen.

Is the "Loading" sign displayed properly? Are you using a custom one?
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Custom one, it uses exact Quake dimensions and everything; it doesn't seem to care and still insists on crashing so I'll just tweak and replace it again. I can get it to load to the console (and properly displays everything from gfx.wad there) simply because I deleted the .dem files in the PAK file..

Demo files cause the "Now Loading" sign to appear straight away which is why it crashed before console on you.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Oops, silly mistake! The "Loading" sign is not located in gfx.wad, gfx.wad is perfectly fine. It's loading.lmp that's most likely the offender...
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Another Attempt: FAIL!

Post by Tyne »

Replaced gfx.wad, replaced loading.lmp. Burn disc. Play it on Dreamcast. Crash.
Do I know why?
Nope!

Looks like TAoV is screwed on Dreamcast and I have no idea why, anyone with a coders cable able to debug this? That's the only chance and choice I have to get this working again.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Tyne wrote:Demo files cause the "Now Loading" sign to appear straight away which is why it crashed before console on you.
That's incorrect. Demo files are loaded after the boot, and the loading plaque is loaded when a map is loaded. Plus, I didn't say that it crashed during the boot for me - my DC is still broken.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Hmm, right. Well it doesn't matter because it crashes in the console anyways loading anything.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

would this work on PSP Quake ?
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

It should. I'm still investigating why it's broken on Dreamcast, it may be the new "Level Up" and "Armor Up" sprites ... *sigh*, this would be so much easier with a coders cable...
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

PSPQuake?

I've been away for 'a little while'...
I'll be downloading Makaqu shortly. Then I'll be looking over the source carefully to see if I can understand it. If I can I'll install the XDK on my new main computer (my laptop) and look into porting some or all the changes to QuakeXOnline... All my programming skillz are gone though after not programming anything at all in so long.

I wont attempt to port the changes to DC because it would require some skill (which I dont have) and at least some experiance programming for Dreamcast (which I dont have either). That is best left to the "professionals" (I.E. BlackAura and co)

I look forward to seeing the 'final' 'gold' version of TAoV. Hell the fixed version would be cool.

Tyne,
I got a coders cable I have no use for. I pretty much wasted the $25 or so on that thing. If your interested contact me in ICQ and we can work something out. (dont worry. I'm not wanting $25)
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Next versions dynamic camera will act different, it also works in regular Winquake now and requires a lot less code (which means it's optimized) ..

It allows Vigil while moving to see what's ahead of him! It's sorta pseudo Envenom cam but way more restricted to a side scroller. Another good way to look at it is if you've played XBox Ninja Gaiden, don't move the camera while fighting and it's similar to the new TAoV Dynamic camera! Static camera is the same for that old classic 2D feel we all know and love. :D

heh, accidently made a Zelda-ique view. :)
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

Err, yeah.

So obviously I've been absent for a while. Work ate a lot of my time, and after being at a computer 52-56 hours a week I didn't feel much like mapping at home. They laid off a bunch of people--including myself--so I'll have more time now. I want to get a bunch of maps done pretty quickly, and I think that's possible if Tyne aids me by adding the entities I need.

Anyway, look out for updates from me.
<Asaki> Wow! "New Technology - Enlarge Your Manhood With a Patch"
<Friction> Penis_2.0_English.exe.vbs.eml
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I may also release a caverns temporary map by LordHavoc, so expect a lot more levels soon; I'm also going to crank out Worldcraft and see what I can come up with.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New version will be released soon. Here's some screenshots of some improvements!

New walking frames, Vigil looks a lot more determined.

Firebeam is a lot larger and easier to aim!

Dreamcast compatibility will be fixed, blood has been fixed also (whoops), and a lot of other improvements. I may add a new move too or something, we'll see!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Tried to fix Dreamcast Compatibility, no luck. I modified the suspected sprites and it still won't load any levels. I don't know what to do other then get someone to report as to why it won't load through the use of coders cables.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Hmm got a new version I can test on my xbox yet?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Soon, It'll also come with more levels also: Caverns by RPG and I'm working on Castle 2 as we speak.

Edit:
Here's the start of Castle 2, it's not lit properly yet and just basically started ...
Last edited by Tyne on Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Ok figured it why it was crashing on Dreamcast, it couldn't load Progs.dat! Simply because I used -O3 optimizations and Dreamcast doesn't like that, so the Dreamcast version may only run with -O2, -O1, or no optimizations. I also switched from FTEQcc to FrikQCC again and that fixed it.

Now to investigate & fix a .spr file crashing it.