Lunkin's Journey updates

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ajay() »

An apology

It was never a certainty, never definite, and never something I was working on as I went along. It was never something that was as important or fundamental to the process as it is, so succesfully, in Tyne's The Ascension Of Vigil.
Consequently, it's been something that has been compromised and sabotaged as I've worked hard on implementing new things, larger more complicated levels and just, put to one side, if not completely forgotten during the mod's development.
As you've probably guessed, I'm meandering around breaking the somewhat disappointing news that Lunkin's Journey will almost certainly not be dreamcast compatible.
I say "almost certainly not" for a number of reasons:
- I've not tested if for months
- It was dodgy and barely playable when I last did, and things have probably got worse in that regard since
- I haven't go the time, in the midst of frantic efforts to just finish the mod before the 12th, to either test it, or dedicate the work most likely needed to get it working
- the mod is basically only truely, completely ("way it's meant to be played"!!) compatible with one pc quake engine, so the likelihood of it being fantatstic on dc is pretty limited
I would like to say once I've released the pc version, and returned from holiday and had a break, that I'd go back to it and fix it for dc, but in all honesty I know I won't. As I've mentioned over at inside3d.com, I'm just plain sick of the mod, and can't wait to move on to something else.

Anyway, and again, sorry. :(
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Hmm that sucks, it can be played on xbox can't it?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I bet I could get it running on DC, especially once nxQuake is released with "loading filename.ext" developer 1 messages.

[edit]
I take that back, Lunkin kills my framerate on my P4 1.7ghz, Radeon 9800 Pro. Not to mention Darkplaces can't run it because it gets an illegal server message of some sort.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Like that?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Exactly.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

That's why the game manual and the readme.txt says play it with TomazQuake, and tq148 is included in the download, and my post above mentions it only plays wiht one pc engine.

Yeah framretaes are poor at times; well not ony my 3ghz, 6800ultra rig, but at times on my 1.5ghz, 5900ultra one. I did get a little over-reaching map wise.
Last edited by ajay() on Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

Released last night, finally, and with great relief on my part. Right up until the end I was finding new problems, and new solutions, and more usefully learning a bit more about making mods.

The number of times however, that fixing one thing, just plain broke another, was very fustrating, especially as often it was just a missing word: return; for instance :)
But I know why; I'm still a noob at heart and I'm completely disorganised. Couple that with code and a mod that spiralled in both scope and size from that which I'd envisaged, and you can understand why I had problems. God forbid anyone else should try to read it ;)
But it's done and regardless it's my best mod, and even though I hate it now, I'm sure I'll appreciate it as such once I've had a break from it.
There are number of things that didn't make the finished version:
Not all quake sounds have been replaced, mostly because the QUake ones suited it just fine, but also because of time pressures. In addition there there's a lot of centerprint - ed 'chat' that was going to have accompanying audio (either spoken/acted words or "vocalisations") but again time, and some skill-decifit, meant it was binned.
A fair amount of planned stpryline is gone or simplified, and this was just unavoidable. There was no way I would have ever finished it, if the planned storyline, needing another 15 or so levels, had been followed. So a few corners have been gut.
Some thing were cut because of model related issues. I'm never going to be a modeller; not even in terms of tweaking existing ones. So some features (there's a full list I may 'release' one day, but I don't want to give the mod any more bad press than I already appear to be doing ;) ) just didn't happen because the model couldn't do it and I couldn't make it!
There are a numebr of cuts made due to coding issues, predominately because I couldn't get things to work, but some (one major thing) that a bit of me thinks you just can't do in Quake, and I'm sticking to that opinion, regardless of what the actual truth may be.

SO what's left then? A pretty big mod. 16 levels, a 3rd person perspective, background music (different for each world type) 5 species of non-playable characters, with different individuals within those, 5 attacks/powers, 5 world-types, a storyline of some description, and a whole range of (spot 'em there's loads!) "borrowed movie and game influences, most none too subtle.
Pert of me loves it, part of me hates it. I'm still quite fustrated that I didn't have time or the skill to include stuff that was pretty great in theory, and also that both in terms of mapping and especially coding, I didn't have the time or enthusiasm to make it as polished as it should be.
But I think it's different, fun and big (during last minute testing I played thorugh it in god mode, taking all the short cuts and avoiding all the pit falls, and it still took me 37 minutes!) and worthy of people playing and giving some time to.

I'll just finish by saying thank you to everyone who has helped me over the it's development, it would have been impossible without you all *sniff*. More detilas of which can be found in the Game Manual http//www.ajaysquakesite.co.uk/lj_dloads/lj_manual.zip plus installation tips, chracter guides and why you should use TomazQuake, so you really should download it.

Hope you enjoy it

ajay
Christluu
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Christluu »

I can't download the mod :(
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

try now, sorry
Christluu
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Christluu »

How can I play on my Dreamcast ?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

you can't.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Ajay, do you think you or someone can fix LJ to run in any other PC engine?
My two engines of choice are DarkPlaces (GL) and Makaqu (software render).
In DarkPlaces, i get that error and in Makaqu i got to load the mod and read some initial dialogs, but looks like QC is garbled with Quake original progs.dat, i can only use the mouse to look arround in what seems i'm trapped inside a wall.

I want so much apreciate you work, but Tomaz can't run on my machine.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

DCmad wrote:in Makaqu i got to load the mod and read some initial dialogs, but looks like QC is garbled with Quake original progs.dat, i can only use the mouse to look arround
Turn "Mouse Look" off in the mouse options menu.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

Lunkin's Christmas Carol:The Goblin that Stole Christmas

A seasonal mini-mod which is work in progress, although it will definitely be out by Christmas Eve, as it's whizzing along, and now it comes with a lovely xmas-y, funny, extra, thingy for those who win at it.
it's now 99% done, I'm just tweaking with some stuff, all numbers, amounts and timings.
anyway, some images:

Image Image Image

click for bigger ones....

it'll probably have all the LJ related problems with dc quake, plus, once again, tomazquake is the required engine for pc. i reckon it has a 50% chance of working on anything else - i've not tried

ajay

by the way i'm currently at the plannign stage for lunkin2, which will be darkplaces-only ..... :roll:
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

What Tomaz extensions are you using anyways? I've seen nothing in this mod that really *needs* the extra features.
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

Well it's finished, took me about 7 hours in total, not bad really.

Anyway it's a "collect all the items before the time limit or bad things will come get you" type mod.
It can be quite fustrating to beat (as my play-tester son tells me) but a funny reward awaits you if you do, well I think it's amusing anyway. Actually it's quite fun to avoid the bad things if you don't get inside the time limit too, not that you achieve anything ;)

3 points:
- the snowmen are meant to annoy you!
- tomazquake 1.48 is again reccomended
- you don't need Lunkin's Journey to play it.

It can be nabbed from: here, readme here

happy christmas! :)
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

thanks ajay.