'Radquake Final' and mods...

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by speud »

Most people can take constructive critisism but I guess you just can't handle it.
really, calling people silly is nothing constructive. also making a list of the things that miss and you want to see is nothing constructive neither. instead, you could have submitted your suggestions in a respectuous way, taking in consideration that some improvements have already been added, and this release hasnt been rushed. also, if some features are missing thats just your fault, first because you didnt suggest them before the release (after is a bit pointless), and you didnt want to try the beta by yourself. as for the multisessions' discs, nothing forbids you to overwrite the pak files.
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Fragger wrote:quzar, I'd like to ask you and everyone else to use the Image button when you want to send a personal message.

I don't want to start deleting posts or to lock the topic.
sorry, i didnt think it was anything insulting or inappropriate... =\
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

speud wrote:
Most people can take constructive critisism but I guess you just can't handle it.
really, calling people silly is nothing constructive. also making a list of the things that miss and you want to see is nothing constructive neither. instead, you could have submitted your suggestions in a respectuous way, taking in consideration that some improvements have already been added, and this release hasnt been rushed. also, if some features are missing thats just your fault, first because you didnt suggest them before the release (after is a bit pointless), and you didnt want to try the beta by yourself. as for the multisessions' discs, nothing forbids you to overwrite the pak files.
I didn't call YOU silly, I said calling RadQuake FINAL is silly since it isn't really even 'final' with all the flaws in it left intact. Fragger just informed that I can actually overwrite pak files - I never knew this and now that it's been brought to my attention I have no more gripes concerning the lack of mod menu.. I thought I needed rewritable cds. :P

I figured with all the time spent on the final version of Radquake, plus calling it final in the first place it'd have CD audio added - especially when Fragger easily fixed it in his release (untested, but most likely works) and PC Quake having CD audio obviously.

Oh yeah, you forgot to update the credits in the engine too; the version number in it still reads 4.4 also.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work you've done on RADQuake and it's a good release, just a bit disappointed with it especially for it being labelled as final - if it was called RadQuake 5 I'd cheer it on a bit better.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

sorry, i didnt think it was anything insulting or inappropriate... =\
Unfortunately we got a flame war here not so long ago, and I don't want to risk letting another one starts.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

i think it was called "final" like in "no more RADquake after this one". the other releases that might happen are more to consider as sort of patches, to fix things that was planned to be included in this version but werent, because of a bug (like the selfbooting problem) or lack of time/risk of incompatibility (like the missing mod-menu).

also i started working on this before fragger's release, or i dont know what release you meant, so its not that surprising that his latest changes havent been included. like i said i used the source of v4.4 available on ian's site.

if you know the amount of work that this release required then you have to imagine that implementing new features would have required even more work/time. any coder is probably able to release the perfect game, if you give him a few years its perfectly feasible. i implemented the features most people seemed to want. pvr 2d rendering was not requiring too much effort and it looks better, not so essential but still something benefical to me. vm saving is something really necessary and thats what required the most work. other stuffs may look like details compared to the rest but adding all of them took some time and is giving the game a more polished form.

there were a few other things i would have liked to polish/implement but at some point i had to feel satisfied with what i got. if i didnt it would have been delayed to a few years in the best case, or i would have given up because of lack of interest/time in the worst case.

Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Thanks for releasing it in the end though, you just gave us a chance to play a new RPG for our Dreamcast too: Prydon Gate!
*Goes to burn a prydon gate cd*
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

speud wrote:also i started working on this before fragger's release
Actually not.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Tyne wrote:Thanks for releasing it in the end though, you just gave us a chance to play a new RPG for our Dreamcast too: Prydon Gate!
*Goes to burn a prydon gate cd*
Crap. It loads, plays for about 5 minutes then reboots the Dreamcast. :[
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

Fragger wrote:
speud wrote:also i started working on this before fragger's release
Actually not.
err, yes. i started to work on it before you released your source. i didnt mean i started to work on an update before you or anything.

Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Well Envenom works flawlessly on RADQuake Final other then a few minor gripes:

1. The black borders are not displayed correctly during cutscenes, the bottom one comes in fine but the top one is nowhere to be seen. I'll investigate this. Happened in 4.4 also.
2. Once again Corporal can get on top of things he's not suppoused to due to the famous step height bug.
3. For some reason the first cutscene speech is not played, but it should be; what's weird is when I type "play speech/captain1" in console it plays it fine. Maybe just renaming the file will fix it.

I also need to fix a few timing bugs I found which is my fault, medikits take longer to use (they're used by holding down X) if your framerate is lower and plats take longer to go up also due to the same framerate problem.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Last post before Doom 3 and then bed!

Fragger has told me the reason why the latest Joymenu version doesn't work on RADQuake is because the engine is not using a 240y resolution (it's using 320x200 as opposed to 320x240) and centerprint doesn't like that at all when a mod prints too many lines down the screen... therefore the engine has no idea what to do and causes RADQuake Final to crash and reboot your Dreamcast; I'm not sure if this bug happens in PC Quake.

This is also the reason as to why Prydon Gate on Dreamcast is broken. The centerprint code in Prydon Gate uses mainly the full screen and since it's going over the 200y resolution once again the engine crashes without knowing what to do - the only fix is to mess with the centerprint function and have it properly display on non-240y resolutions or .. to just increase RADQuake's resolution just a teeny tiiny bit.

Oh and please don't suggest to FrikaC to get it working on RADQuake Final, there's nothing he can do about it until that bug/problem is fixed by either Ian, speud or a third party - it'd be great to have another well made RPG and Quake mod on Dreamcast (especially the beta version I have that nobody here has seen, it's AWESOME). ;)
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

speud wrote:err, yes. i started to work on it before you released your source.
So did I, but it's ok.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Moi wrote:maybe my controller is broken?
Could be. The controller code works fine on mine.

You don't have a rumbler attached, do you? Some of those (the unofficial ones) are really badly made pieces of junk, and do stupid things like lock the maple bus. If you do, yank it out and see if the problem goes away.
speud wrote:yes i know one version had the mod menu working, it wasnt in the code i used anyway. also ian told me about the compatibility problem of the mod-menu with 4.4's source
Err... how could you guys have possibly broken the modlist? The thing is entirely independent of the rest of the game, and requires only one function call from main() to get it working. The modlist was utter crap, and I wouldn't be suprised if someone replaced it, but how could you possibly break it?
if you know the amount of work that this release required then you have to imagine that implementing new features would have required even more work/time.
Err... not really.

There's no way you should have been able to break the modlist. Implementing music is trivial - I managed to get Ogg Vorbis music working flawlessly in a couple of hours, and most of that was spent fixing problems in the rest of the engine. Implementing CDDA wouldn't have been much more difficult, if at all.

Anyway, is there any particular reason the screen resolution is back to 320x200 instead of 320x240? It's not like it makes all that much difference to the speed, and it looks a lot better than a 320x200 image stretched to fill a 640x480 screen.

Code: Select all

// Ian micheal
#define STEPSIZE 30 
Why?
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

I found the solution! The controller in the second port caused the problem, once i pulled it out, the controls worked correctly again! :) Good to see I'm not crazy ;)
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

BlackAura wrote:
speud wrote:yes i know one version had the mod menu working, it wasnt in the code i used anyway. also ian told me about the compatibility problem of the mod-menu with 4.4's source
Err... how could you guys have possibly broken the modlist? The thing is entirely independent of the rest of the game, and requires only one function call from main() to get it working. The modlist was utter crap, and I wouldn't be suprised if someone replaced it, but how could you possibly break it?
i didnt break anything, it wasnt there.
if you know the amount of work that this release required then you have to imagine that implementing new features would have required even more work/time.
Err... not really.

There's no way you should have been able to break the modlist. Implementing music is trivial - I managed to get Ogg Vorbis music working flawlessly in a couple of hours, and most of that was spent fixing problems in the rest of the engine. Implementing CDDA wouldn't have been much more difficult, if at all.
so it would have taken more time. first i didnt know cdda was missing. second i dont own a game that has cdda tracks to test. third the code was very unstable at the end.
Anyway, is there any particular reason the screen resolution is back to 320x200 instead of 320x240? It's not like it makes all that much difference to the speed, and it looks a lot better than a 320x200 image stretched to fill a 640x480 screen.
the reason is it was like that in 4.4's source.

Code: Select all

// Ian micheal
#define STEPSIZE 30 
Why?
ask ian. again thats something that was in 4.4's source.

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Actually, I didn't mean you as in speud. I meant you (plural), as in everyone who has done something on this.

Why does English not have a plural form of "you"? It'd make some things so much clearer.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

yer it would indeed.

but i am the only one who added my changes to the version that was released afaik. and i didnt change anything in the previous versions.

ian doesnt come here anymore so if you want to know why he did something in the previous versions thats probably not the best place to ask, since i cant answer for him.

toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

BlackAura wrote:
Actually, I didn't mean you as in speud. I meant you (plural), as in everyone who has done something on this.

Why does English not have a plural form of "you"? It'd make some things so much clearer.
Then the South gave us ya'll ;)
No signature.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Moi just sent me a fixed version of RADQuake final with the correct resolution and step height bug fixed. Gonna test it out now! = )

[edit]: Tested, Envenom works perfect now and Prydon no longer crashes.
I also just sent a PM to speud concerning the need for an "Invert X-Axis" option for the analog stick. Prydon Gate works wonderfully with the analog stick aside from the fact that moving the stick left makes the cursor move right and vice versa. :O
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You can invert the analog stick. Just find the dc_axisx_scale console variable, and invert it's value.